•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eeeeuu that smell.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#26 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

Curiously, the outside doesn't have any detectable odor- but what's inside in nearly overwhelming. Lucky me- I'd rather have gotten three wishes when I opened these up. Barbara Eden would have done fine (garsh am I that old??).

Also I'm not sanguine about combining all the formulae together- I've seen science fiction movies with unhappy endings that started out with such experimentation, and frankly I'm not ready to have to evacuate New Jersey (though the government may have been looking for an excuse for the 'other' option!).

What has me peeved is that this beautiful case was probably used NOT to hold binos, but smokes- all the time fooling the world (Oh, yes, I'm a great birdwatcher- in fact I'll be gone for the next few minutes out in the brush thataway...') ? And just where were the binos all this time? I guess THEY had quit the habit on doctor's orders.

I'm concerned that some of the procedures/products mentioned (and thanks guys for suggestions both serious and dubious) might end up in my eyes, or harm the optics. And that Anti-Icky-Poo stuff is ALIVE with bacteria. Not a good start given these concerns (I can just see hospital ERs start filling with bino buffs who have read this thread... betcha this particular bacterial strain ain't in their Merck Manual..).

I may just end up putting a fan in front of it an letting 'er rip.

Jess Tauber

#27 evan_s

evan_s

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:50 AM

can you get a different case? at least until this one off-gases the tobacco. are you sure it's tobacco? :cloudy:

#28 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:30 AM

I always remember to ask if something is coming from a non-smoking house after it arrives reeking like a roadhouse. It could be worse. I ordered some medical supplies for Ebay and they arrived totally reeking of tobacco. At least they are in sealed packages. If you let things air out for a while a lot of the smell goes away.

PS. Evan S, I'm what part of the SF Valley are you in? I grew up in Arleta, and now live in Altadena?

Littlegreenman
Load pipe with tobacco, take really deep draw, turn green.

#29 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:16 AM

Whew,

I have to say that I've never found anything to completely remove tobacco smoke other than a complete dry cleaning.

But I have found a home product that works extremely well: It is ZERO ORDER. Good for, to paraphrase, "....pet oders; diapers; sports equip.; musty basements; cigarette smoke; ....; garbage; shoes;....etc." For a $19.95 TV "deal," I'm impressed. Not an endorsement of the product.

I guess the problem would be to get into all of the tight cornors and the like.

Best regards,
Dave.

#30 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

Littlegreenman wrote:

>If you let things air out for a while a lot of the smell goes away.<

Yeah, sure... that's what they said about the Donner Party...

Jess Tauber

#31 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

The Anti-Icky-Poo rep. returned my call. I said a friend was having a problem with the smell of smoke on a thin leather coating on a binocular. He said Anit-Icky-Poo is very good at getting rid of smoke smells. I asked about getting the live bacteria in Anti-Icky-Poo in your eyes. He said just wash out your eyes. It wouldn't be a problem. I assume he thought I was talking about getting the Anti-Icky-Poo spray in your eyes.

Rich

#32 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:31 PM

So, what then, now we need to carry around an eyewash in our bino kit? A more general *solution* would be to contact your local genetic engineer and have her/him/it flesh out Tobacco Mosaic virus with new toys and make it 100% infective, 100% deadly to tobacco (only), and highly transmissible. Its not exactly like any vital species will go extinct if tobacco goes before it. I can think of a number of plants this might pertain to....

Anyway- my stinking bino case is now airing out. Given the particulars of summer around here (high humidity, lots of biomatter, etc.) it shouldn't be long before the tobacco smell is replaced by...mildew.

Jess Tauber

#33 evan_s

evan_s

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:36 PM

Littlegreenman:

I'm in Canoga Park

Evan

#34 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:49 AM

So, what then, now we need to carry around an eyewash in our bino kit? A more general *solution* would be to contact your local genetic engineer and have her/him/it flesh out Tobacco Mosaic virus with new toys and make it 100% infective, 100% deadly to tobacco (only), and highly transmissible. Its not exactly like any vital species will go extinct if tobacco goes before it. I can think of a number of plants this might pertain to....

Anyway- my stinking bino case is now airing out. Given the particulars of summer around here (high humidity, lots of biomatter, etc.) it shouldn't be long before the tobacco smell is replaced by...mildew.

Jess Tauber

Again, I think the fellow was talking about getting the mist from a spray bottle of Anti-Icky-Poo directly in your eyes.

I don't think a tiny bit of the stuff that might find its way onto an eyecup would be a problem. If someone want to use the product and is concerned, call the company or check their website. They hav an "800" number.

Rich

#35 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Don't you think the product's name is a clear sign of less than serious attitude and respect for the personal and professional dignity of the user? It reminds me of some of the more colorful 'product' names they put into skits in the first few years of Saturday Night Live.

Jess Tauber

#36 Albie

Albie

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:58 AM

I am a smoker and recently(2mos ago) I sold my Celestron Noble 8x42's to a good friend.Every time he uses them he complains that they smell like cigarette smoke.I never noticed but then again I smoke and probably smell worse than his binos,(shame).
Can smoke smell be removed from binos?Maybe I should tell him to throw them in a bag with a sheet of Bounce fabric softener.Will it soften the views? :john:

#37 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2006 - 02:40 PM

Its probably too bad that unlike crocodilians, people don't have nicotin.., er, nictitating membranes in their eyes.

Jess Tauber

#38 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

Don't you think the product's name is a clear sign of less than serious attitude and respect for the personal and professional dignity of the user? It reminds me of some of the more colorful 'product' names they put into skits in the first few years of Saturday Night Live.

Jess Tauber

---------------------------------------------------

Hi Jess,

No. However, it is a name you don't easily forget. Best of all... the product works.

What was left of that cigar I smoked the other morning, I stuck in a plastic Zip Loc bag. I was going to show it to a friend who is a cigar nut. The bag and cigar then went into a wooden drawer. Within about 12 hours the draw smelled really bad even though the cigar was in a plastic bag. I gor rid the cigar and bag and sprayed a little of the Anti-Icky-Poo in the draw and now about 12 hours later I can just barely smell anything in the drawer. I'm guessing given a little more time the smell will be completely gone.

Rich

#39 refractory

refractory

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:51 AM

No doubt along with the wood and the metal fixtures....

Jess Tauber

#40 johnno

johnno

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

Jess,

I know Vanilla essence works well to remove odours from a fridge,perhaps a drop,or 2 sprinkled inside the case may help.

Regards.
John

#41 Rich N

Rich N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

No doubt along with the wood and the metal fixtures....

Jess Tauber

I know you are trying to be funny, but I don't think you have ever tried this product. I think having fun at the expense of a company, as much as you are, that puts out s product that works well, isn't really much different than making fun of a telescope or binocular company.

This product works well, on the problem in question in the original post to this thread. I know. I've tried it.

Rich

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics