•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pleiades and Hyades - a 1/2 hour experiment through thin clouds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:52 PM

pleiadesHyades copy.jpg

This is more of my vision for a future shot I want to do. This version I'm sharing is just a 25 minute snapshot through thin clouds that created halos a bit bigger than I like, especially on the lower half (Hyades). Still thought it was interesting enough to share.

Details:

Sigma 105mm Art at f2, Nikon d800 mod, iOptron SmartEQ Pro+ mount

48*30"

SQM=20.75

On Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

• zjc26138, Traveler, starcam and 7 others like this

#2 J.LAMBIE

J.LAMBIE

Mariner 2

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:54 PM

I may not know what I like, but I know everything about art.    Astonishingly    beautiful.    Awesome in the true sense of the word. If Monet had been into astro-photography his work would look very much like this. You can do different, but not better.  

• bugbit and 2ghouls like this

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

Looks surprisingly deep considering both the 25 minutes and clouds (the f/2 lens and SQM probably helped). This is certainly a nice look and that's why some use soft blur filters when doing very wide-field imaging with short camera lenses. Thanks for posting your results.

Edited by james7ca, 15 September 2019 - 12:46 AM.

• 2ghouls likes this

#4 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:02 AM

Looks surprisingly deep considering both the 25 minutes and clouds (the f/2 lens and SQM probably helped). 

Yeah, I was surprised too. While I had seen many shots of the brown, dusty stuff in this area, I didn't think I would be able to capture it this well with 30 second subs and a short integration. Too bad about the clouds, I think the dust in the bottom half is a bit blurred.

• t-ara-fan likes this

#5 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:17 AM

Reminds me of the Akira Fuji shots from back in the day !

For comparison here is the almost identical field using the 105 with an unmodified camera and no diffusion.

https://clarkvision....8.k-0.25xs.html

• Traveler and 2ghouls like this

#6 Iamhondo

Iamhondo

Lift Off

• Loc: Salem, MO

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

There are fog/diffusion filters for camera lenses that can accomplish the effect anytime you want.

Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics