•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Siril failing to register

astrophotography beginner dslr imaging
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dpaigen

dpaigen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2019 - 11:25 PM

Newbie here.

I've been using Siril to convert and stack my raw files but sometimes it fails.  When I get to the registration step I either get an immediate message that registration fails or it goes through the painstaking process of considering each image and rejecting it.

So far this happens to about 10% of my stacks.

I've tried telling it to use a different color channel (that worked once out of three times).  I've also tried all the algorithm options.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?  Is this just a limitation of Siril?

(Technical details: Nikon D7000 camera, 15-30m total integration time, different OTAs, mediocre to poor tracking)

I am also interested in suggestions for other linux based, open source, stacking software.  I am aware of APP and PI and other commercial products, but at this time I am only interested in open source that runs under linux.

Thanks,

-David

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics