•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wireless USB?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:41 AM

I've got my mount control running over bluetooth, but I haven't figured a way to get images from my camera without a USB3 cable.

Without a stellarmate/AsiAir, is there another way to do this easily?  I've looked at both products, they're not for me.

Winter is coming and I'd really love to be able to close the window while imaging!

#2 einarin

einarin

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:43 AM

CamRanger ?

#3 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:59 AM

CamRanger ?

Doesn't need to be specific to the camera.  Just transmit a USB3 signal.

My camera is a Zwo1600mc-p.

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

No such thing.

#5 beggarly

beggarly

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:40 AM

Try a search for "USB over wifi", "wireless USB".

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Seems like over the years people have been trying to do this, but on a real throughput level, there are other, easier, ways, as the wireless USB as a standalone doesn't really work that well. It's way so many people go to small computers on the scope itself controlled by a phone or tablet: gets the wireless USB via that route. Still, you have to run a cable for power, so...might as well run one for USB, too. grin.gif

Paul

• Lacquerhead likes this

#7 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

Seems like over the years people have been trying to do this, but on a real throughput level, there are other, easier, ways, as the wireless USB as a standalone doesn't really work that well. It's way so many people go to small computers on the scope itself controlled by a phone or tablet: gets the wireless USB via that route. Still, you have to run a cable for power, so...might as well run one for USB, too. grin.gif

Paul

Yeah, it's the "phone or tablet" that I'm trying to avoid.  I need (well, want) my laptop.

I've got power on the outside of the house.  If I can sort out this usb cable, I can be a LOT warmer this winter.  I might just drill a hole through the wall and seal it up again.

• psandelle likes this

#8 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:00 AM

Ah, yeah, you're like me that way. I guess you could put a little Raspberry Pi on the mount for local control, then wireless to your laptop indoors. Saves drilling holes in the wall!

Paul

#9 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

Just how thick is this USB cable? lol.gif

Towel laid across bottom of window and shut agaisnt that is pretty much closed..

Other than that id be looking at a small pc at the scope.

#10 Lacquerhead

Lacquerhead

Sputnik

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:21 PM

USB3 has a maximum data rate just under 5Gbps.  Getting even a fraction of that over a wireless connection through a wall is non-trivial.  I just drop a cheap laptop in a laptop tent outside.  Been doing that for close to two decades now. RDP, TeamViewer, VNC, etc. into the laptop from the warmth and comfort of your couch or office while it's sub-zero outside.  In all my years I've only lost one laptop and that was only because some idiot forgot to turn off the irrigation in my back yard. :)  I replaced that 6 year old cheap laptop with a two year old refurb laptop for around $200.  After a night of having the computer manage the scope for me I have it copy all my data to my storage array so it can join the other 320GB of ancient photons I've collected in the last couple of years.

#11 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for all of the ideas.

None meet my needs, but thanks anyway!  I think I'll just have to get serious about building an observatory with a warm room.

• psandelle likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics