•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Beginner AP Software Questions + PRISM

beginner astrophotography imaging planetarium software
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 FocusedNaim

FocusedNaim

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mississippi

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

I've downloaded Stellarium (targest/acquistion), PHD2 (guiding), and SharpCap Pro (polar alignment, calibration, stacking, processing).

Are there other base programs of which I should know that cover functionality that I need / would want that is not covered by the above programs? 

I'm imaging at 250 mm focal length with ASI183MM Pro (2.4 micron pixel)...image scale is 2''. My mount (once it arrives) is a Losmandy G-11. I'll use the ASI178MM (2.4 micron pixel) as an autoguider with OAG. The knowledgeable Jon Rista recommends using an autoguider that has higher sampling than the imaging camera. His explanation of the assertion is quite logical.

My imaging and guide camera have equal sampling, but I don't mind that for now especially since I'm imaging at 250mm. The guider sampling rate will change once I get a longer focal length scope and camera with larger pixels. 

I've seen SQP too. SharpCap and SQP are closely related in terms of functionality. As far as I know, the differences do not affect my level of imaging skill.

I intend to get PRISM (probably Pro or maybe Lite) in the future to have a program that covers all the bases.

Thoughts on PRISM as a one-stop-shop? Having all functions in one program is a luxury for which I will pay.

I am assuming that professional covers all the functionality that I would need for the next 10 years of my development at least. 

However, the Advanced version seems to have some advance image calibration and processing functionality. I find tinker program functions quite fun...until I crash the program. 

How advanced is the advanced version? I'm no intellectual slouch. Just new to AP knowledge. Many things make sense to me once I learn and experiment. 

I've ordered the Deep Sky Imaging Primer from Amazon. 

Edited by FocusedNaim, 15 September 2019 - 01:56 PM.

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

Since this is a cross-post and is imaging system related, let's add any replies to the duplicate version started over in Beginning & Intermediate Imaging.

Thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, astrophotography, imaging, planetarium software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics