•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Splitting Delta Cygni with small scopes

double star observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:29 AM

A little story:

I like ST-80s, they're simple, inexpensive and versatile and I think they make good beginners scopes, they're about one half binocular and one half telescope.  They're not very good planetary-double star scopes but they're passable and show the moon reasonably well.  I buy them used and give them away.. 

The best one I've ever had is an older Celestron version that came on an EQ mount.  I've owned a couple of them but this one was different, it has a metal objective cell that threads to the tube and a metal dew shield.  I fitted it with a 2 inch focuser and my recollection is that I was able to split delta Cygni with it.  I had loaned it out about a year ago and I just received it back in the mail on Monday.  In light of this thread, I was eager to see if I could split delta Cygni... 

I probably spent about an hour swapping eyepieces, seeing if I could eek out the split. I went as high as 230 x and there were times when I thought I might be seeing something but I never made the split.  

Over to the double-double, I could split the one but not the other.  Frustrated, I went inside and got my WO 80mm F/7 FD and pointed it at delta Cygni.. No split.  No Cassini division.  This was very unusual, these are normally easy.  I went inside and got the 120mm F/7.5 ED, it normally provides clean, crisp views and has an easy time of delta Cygni.. No split, barely see the Cassini.  

Bad seeing.  Delta Cygni in the ST-80 will have to wait.  

Jon

• Astrojensen, Sasa, Bonco2 and 1 other like this

#27 db2005

db2005

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5 skies.

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:55 AM

I took up the challenge of splitting Pi Aquila (1.4 arc seconds separation) with my 3" APO a few nights ago. As expected, no split, but I did see distinct elongation and a peanut-like shape with occasional hints of darkening between the two components. Magnification was around 190x.

These challenge-stars are so much fun!

• Sasa, Bonco2 and rugby like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: double star, observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics