•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI071MC-Cool Amp Glow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tamir

Tamir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

Recently bought a ZWO ASI071MC-Cool camera. So far it has been nothing but frustration.

Initially, I encountered icing issues when I was cooling the camera below -10 C. Long story short, I only cool the camera down to 0 degrees to prevent icing. 

Only have had the chance to do a couple of targets with this camera and noticed a lot of amp glow at the bottom when I stretch the images.

ASI071MC-Cool

Gain 200

5x300 Seconds

5x300 darks

Optolong L-Enhance

Elephants Trunk.jpg

#2 Tamir

Tamir

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Capture_00001.jpg

Here is a 8 second dark (stretched). 

Is this a normal amount of glow?

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

Just checked a stretched master dark on my ASI071 camera and it has similar sensor glow top and bottom.  With mine, the top is slightly more pronounced.

#4 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 15 September 2019 - 04:03 PM

Tamil—ZWO fixed the amp glow with a buffer in the Pro model, but it should calibrate out fine in the cool model. I only cool down to 0C with my ASI071MC Pro. Unless you have extremely dark skies, such as Bortle 1-2, the LP will swamp by a good margin the thermal noise at even +5c. That is, there is no practical benefit of cooling the 071 below 0C unless you have very dark skies.
  • t-ara-fan likes this

#5 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 15 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

Tamil—ZWO fixed the amp glow with a buffer in the Pro model, but it should calibrate out fine in the cool model. I only cool down to 0C with my ASI071MC Pro. Unless you have extremely dark skies, such as Bortle 1-2, the LP will swamp by a good margin the thermal noise at even +5c. That is, there is no practical benefit of cooling the 071 below 0C unless you have very dark skies.

Is that still true if you are using narrowband filters (or something like the Optolong L-Enhance filter)?

#6 ChrisFC

ChrisFC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:45 AM

If you connect using usb3 it should stop the glow across the bottom. The pro version overcame this by having the memory buffer

#7 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:54 AM

Yep. I started with the original ASI071MC-cool and later upgraded to the Pro version. I don't recall seeing the amp glow when using a dedicated USB3 line with my original ASI071MC-cool.

As for the condensation; recharging the desiccant tablets is fairly easy. I recently did it with my ASI071MC Pro using the instructions on ZWO's web site. The only tricky bit was easing the tablets out of their holder by _gently_ grabbing them with a pair of needle-nose pliers and _gently_ pressing them back in.

#8 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:09 AM

The only tricky bit was easing the tablets out of their holder by _gently_ grabbing them with a pair of needle-nose pliers and _gently_ pressing them back in.

AND ... when you pull them out you get a tiny bit of powder left behind. Don't be like me and wipe away the powder with a Kimwipe and then accidentally brush grease from the O-ring seal onto the glass window.

But next time it will be a piece of cake.  I cooked the dessicants after I had the camera for a year, and now I can once again blast it down to -20°C without any frost.  I drive out to Bortle 2, so I use -20°C in the winter, and -10°C in the summer.

As mentioned, run with USB3 because that camera doesn't have the big RAM buffer, so the faster you read the image the better. And cook the dessicants as per their instructions.

Edited by t-ara-fan, 17 September 2019 - 01:12 AM.

• AhBok likes this

#9 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

Is that still true if you are using narrowband filters (or something like the Optolong L-Enhance filter)?

Many of us use the multi-band filters with our 071 pros. I use the Optolong L-eNhance filter. They work great with this camera!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics