•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Disaster Has Struck...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Alabama

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

As I picked up my brand new Skywatcher 190 Mak-Newt and started toward the mount,  a loose cable hanging from the scope somehow wrapped around my ASI071 camera which was sitting on the table. The camera then got dragged off the table and dropped on the concrete patio.  bawling.gif bawling.gif bawling.gif Absolutely a stupid boneheaded mistake on my part. 

I could not see any obvious damage but when I tried to take  images, The camera will only preview one image and then it will not download any more images. I plugged and unplugged the USB cable and reconnected several times. Same thing every time. After the first image shows on the laptop, the camera freezes up. So something internal is definitely broken. All I can think to do is to contact ZWO and see if they can try to repair it. 

I was leaving in 2 weeks for a star gaze. Not sure I'll go without a camera. I was thinking of adding a mono camera back to my stable so maybe this is the time to buy one...sigh...did not really plan to right now though...

Has anyone had experience with ZWO repairing cameras? I'm thinking it's going to be a long shot they can do anything..

Blahhh....John

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:08 PM

D5300, modded, you can find one for ~$550

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:12 PM

Sorry this happened to you John.  We all fear such moments.  In the dark, half  awake, just about anything can happen. 

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#4 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 September 2019 - 11:15 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident John.  Many years ago I tried changing scopes in the dark on a SE goto mount with Vixen rail.  I thought I had the C-6 properly clamped in and started to get an eyepiece and it fell out on the concrete pad.  Surprisingly enough the scope itself only got a good scratch, but the corrector cracked. Good luck with the repair. That new corrector cost me $300.

Frank

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

...a loose cable hanging from the scope somehow wrapped around my ASI071 camera...

Yes, I'm frequently perplexed by how these snags can happen. If you were actually TRYING to get this to happen you could never do it in a thousand tries. But, it seems that just once and by accident when it could happen it does.

• F.Meiresonne and happylimpet like this

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:29 AM

I really feel for you, having skirted disaster many times out of sheer luck. Still, I think ZWO may be able to save the day, as it appears that you didn't damage the camera so much as something in the acquisition circuitry, probably a little board that can be replaced. Good luck!

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:30 AM

Yes, I'm frequently perplexed by how these snags can happen. If you were actually TRYING to get this to happen you could never do it in a thousand tries. But, it seems that just once and by accident when it could happen it does.

Yes I have the same feeling such things...

To the OP, indeed sorry to hear about the mishap...

Me too I let drop a couple of times expensive stuff like eyepies..fortuanely they all survived.

the stranges story I heard of a guy that bought an expensive Pentax Lw 30 mm. He went to the Provence France and by the first session he putted in on a wall , but behind the wall there was a 30-50 m pit or valley of some kind, in the dark he reached out , missed it but hitted it , and it fell in the pitt and he He was totally unable to retrieve it...

So never used! expensive and lost...

One could cry a river over that ..;

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 16 September 2019 - 12:09 PM.

• happylimpet likes this

#8 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:33 AM

Sorry this happened to you John.  We all fear such moments.  In the dark, half  awake, just about anything can happen. 

In the dark even fully awake it can happen …lol.gif

#9 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

Uuh, that's bad luck :(

Last year I sent my 290MMmini back to China (from Canary Islands).  Once they had it, the issue was fixed in a few days.  

In my case it still took a month in total, shipping to and from my location always takes at least one week extra (per direction).  So if you contact them, and ship with something fast, you might get it back in time.

#10 zakry3323

zakry3323

Viking 1

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

Bummer! I make bonehead mistakes all the time when it's dark and I'm tired. Cord snags are hard to catch when you can't really see em! I hope ZWO can get your camera repaired in time for your trip!

#11 lucam

lucam

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

John, definitely contact ZWO and explain what happened. I fried the USB IC on my ASI183MM Pro when I connected a USB hub to the wrong power supply (the ZWO camera was already connected to the hub). ZWO was awesome to work with - all I had to do was to ship my camera back to the US dealer and they took care of everything else. I received the repaired camera in about a month.

Edited by lucam, 16 September 2019 - 12:04 PM.

#12 miwitte

miwitte

Apollo

• Loc: Charlotte NC

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:56 AM

ZWO has given me great response, I had a issue with my 1600 and they sent me a new one(via the dealer i bought from). Takes a little while but they treated me good. 

send a email to info@zwoptical.com and the dealer.

#13 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:05 PM

I had to send one of my ASI294MC Pro's back to ZWO for repair. We had an initial exchange of emails to confirm that there was a problem with the camera, and then they sent instructions on how to ship it to them. It took a bit to get it over there and it got stuck in customs for a while, but once it arrived at ZWO they quickly repaired it and sent it back in a flash. It has worked flawlessly ever since.

#14 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:36 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. I am sending ZWO an email today and hopefully I will have a happy outcome like you did John!...smile.gif

Since I was thinking of adding a mono camera back to my lineup anyway, I went ahead and ordered an ASI1600mm Pro today. I have a star parties in 2 weeks and another one in 6 weeks and I need a camera fast!

If the ASI071 can be fixed, I'll keep them as a dual team. I have flip-flopped back and forth before going from OSC to Mono and vice versa and I lose money every time. I should just admit to myself I enjoy both ways of doing this hobby and just keep two cameras on hand!

cs...John

• zakry3323 and wrnchhead like this

#15 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:16 PM

I had an issue with two ZWO cameras. 

I had one of the first ASI 1600m cameras and sent it to China via USPS.  The camera disappeared and was never found.  ZWO instructs you (or at least they did) to not insure it and declare its value to be a $40 webcam.

They made good and gave me a discount on the ASI 094.  It stopped working too.  This time I used UPS (I think) and insured it.  Very expensive at retail shipping rates.  The camera was returned quickly and works great.

Just something to think about.  Dealing directly with returns to China can be expensive and a drag.

#16 View2

View2

Vanguard

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

Sadness

#17 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Ranger 4

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:29 PM

That one hits me in the feels, bro... sorry it happened and I hope ZWO can fix it for you in a jiffy.

#18 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:46 AM

Good news!!!

I can’t believe it…I tried the camera last night and it worked perfect. Dark frames looked completely normal and it downloaded image after image just like always. TEC worked perfect.

Now last night initially nothing would connect when I started SGP. Not the camera, not the focuser, not the mount. I started looking and found the main USB cable on my hub was halfway pulled out??? So I reseated all the USB hub cables and everything connected fine. Could it be my camera was acting goofy the night before because the drop due tot he snagged cable had also unknowingly tugged a USB cable partially out of its socket in the hub? I reconnected the USB cable into the camera the other night at least twice but did not think to check the other end of the cable where it entered the USB hub and where it could have been yanked on. If it continues to work normally, I’m thinking that must have been what happened and I apparently dodged a bullet and the camera is fine!

Sooooo….what do I do with that brand new ASI1600mm set to arrive tomorrow...the Angel on my left shoulder says " return it...save the money...you only bought it on a false assumption of damage". But the Devil on my other shoulder says…"keep it you doofas...you know you want both types of camera and you will eventually buy one anyway..." Bwa ha ha...I think the Devil is winning...!

cs...John

• Scott Mitchell, 2ghouls, lucam and 1 other like this

#19 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

Keep it.  The Angels switched places, and the "good" one is trying to trick you into returning something that you some day will be glad you had.

And congrats on getting things working again!  I had a similar, if not so dramatic near-death experience, after ramming my scope cart into the back of my car, smashing the end of the guide camera where the connector was.  It seemed like all got broken, but re-seating it seems to be working.  Not going to mess with working.

Edited by TelescopeGreg, 17 September 2019 - 01:14 PM.

#20 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:29 PM

Glad everything worked out! I’d say keep the ASI1600 mono, I love mine!!

#21 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

Heh, heh, I had a similar itch to scratch while I was waiting for my ASI071MC Pro and I bought an ASI1600MM-c v3. It's a very nice camera, though I don't use it much these days (nights). I kept it for specialty tasks, and so that itch stays scratched!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics