•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific - New Version of Apple iOS ExploreStars Now Available!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

Vendor-Explore Scientific

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Locust Grove, VA, USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:57 AM

I am pleased to announce that the latest version of ExploreStars is now available in the Apple Store for iOS!!

You will find that ExploreStars version 2.11 DB version 2.3 is now available in the Apple App Store.

This version updates the user experience to include new functionality including:

1) Improved support for Southern Hemisphere
2) Support for latest PMC-Eight Firmware functionality - FW version value displayed on the About page
3) User interface now closer to Android version
4) New OBS button function to show objects near where the telescope is pointing.
5) New "Cat" button to quickly jump to the catalog search page from the main display
6) Automatic mount selection from Firmware Version number
7) Track/Point icon now a button to manually switch control modes

If you have any comments or questions about the new ExploreStars for Apple iOS, please contact Explore Scientific Customer Support at +1 (866) 252-3811 ext. 2.

Thanks!

#2 Wizman

Wizman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

Yes, track/point toggling is a nice addition, but unfortunately the app is now broken.

When I complete either a 2 or 3 star alignment, it will indicate P for pointing, but when I slew to an object using the catalogue, the mount will park. It will also park when I toggle the icon from Tr to P.  I'm using an iexos-100. Not being a programming type, I'm guessing P ended up getting tagged as a Park command rather than a Point command?

Two other thoughts/questions:

a) why does the app now default to "Ignore FW" (and why would one want to ignore Firmware?).

b) For the new OBS function, should I be entering FOV in degrees for that to work?  (no units or instructions are presented)

#3 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

Yes, track/point toggling is a nice addition, but unfortunately the app is now broken.

When I complete either a 2 or 3 star alignment, it will indicate P for pointing, but when I slew to an object using the catalogue, the mount will park. It will also park when I toggle the icon from Tr to P.  I'm using an iexos-100. Not being a programming type, I'm guessing P ended up getting tagged as a Park command rather than a Point command?

Two other thoughts/questions:

a) why does the app now default to "Ignore FW" (and why would one want to ignore Firmware?).

b) For the new OBS function, should I be entering FOV in degrees for that to work?  (no units or instructions are presented)

We will take a look at the alignment problem you are having and I will respond back on that. The new Firmware button (Ignore/Use FW) is a toggle to either read the firmware version from the PMC-Eight and set the mount type or ignore the firmware version so you can manually set the type. It is up to you to set it like you want. Yes, the units are degrees.

#4 Wizman

Wizman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:03 AM

I loaded the latest IOS update and all is good now. Thanks for the super quick response.

#5 Jerry Hubbell

Jerry Hubbell

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

I loaded the latest IOS update and all is good now. Thanks for the super quick response.

Hi Wizman,

I meant to post yesterday that it was available to download. We have identified a couple of other changes that we are going to make to the iOS and Android versions that will be released next week probably, so keep an eye out for that.

#6 Wizman

Wizman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Awesome, I look forward to any additions and improvements.  Polar alignment routine comes to mind  ; )

Rick W

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics