•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyWatcher 150mm ED

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 tog

tog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

I received my Moonlite CFL 2.5 focuser today. It was really easy to change out the stock focuser on the sw 150 ed. Four screws and you are done! The Moonlite sure looks good. Can't wait to try it out. However, I did notice that the Moonlite does not extend out as far as the stock focuser. I will probably have to get an extension. 

• Illinois and Bomber Bob like this

#52 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:25 AM

I received my Moonlite CFL 2.5 focuser today. It was really easy to change out the stock focuser on the sw 150 ed. Four screws and you are done! The Moonlite sure looks good. Can't wait to try it out. However, I did notice that the Moonlite does not extend out as far as the stock focuser. I will probably have to get an extension. 

This depends on how long the draw tube is on the ML compared to the OEM.  It might be shorter in overall length, but just as long once extended.

• tog likes this

#53 tog

tog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

This depends on how long the draw tube is on the ML compared to the OEM.  It might be shorter in overall length, but just as long once extended.

More info focusing on a distant tree: With a 24mm eyepiece (orion stratus) there is only about 1/4 of an inch of back travel left. With a 8mm ep (orion stratus) it comes to focus, but the draw tube is fully extended. The Moonlite comes with a 1.25 inch extender. Do you think changing it out with a 2.5 inch extender will be enough or not enough? 

#54 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

Try the extender it comes with before spending more on something you may not need.

If you find you need more back travel for 2" eyepieces there are cheap extenders available.-

#55 UnderTheWeather

UnderTheWeather

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:28 AM

Been wanting to change out my focucer, but couldn't find a frange on the web site. Which one did you use?

Edited by UnderTheWeather, 10 November 2019 - 10:29 AM.

• tog likes this

#56 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

Been wanting to change out my focucer, but couldn't find a frange on the web site. Which one did you use?

Just let Moonlite know your scope.

Before purchasing, you should check the focuser range of all of your eyepieces and barlows, then order the appropriate draw-tube length.

#57 tog

tog

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

Moonlite has a large list of flanges on their page. However, my scope-the Evostar 150mm ed was not listed. I contacted Moonlite and within an hour Mr. Ron Newman got back to me and told me which flange to order for my scope. For the CFL 2.5 focuser I ordered there was only the 4.5 inch drawtube. The Moonlite is a nice piece of equipment. I know you will enjoy using it!

• George N likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics