•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

telescope repairs

Meade SCT equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hbensel

hbensel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

Hi

I am new to this site.

I have questions about 2 meade telescopes that aren't fully functional at my school.

I have 2 donated telescopes.  One is a meade lx 200 gps10" telescope.  We had to do repairs several years ago because the RA gears were jammed.  Unfortunately at my school there isn't a good place for storage and I believe the gears were jammed because we carried it too much. We fixed it, we are amateurs, and again this fall we mounted it onto a cart and the RA motion makes a grinding sound.   The second is a 8# EMC meade classic.  The power works.  It seems the controller doesn't warm up to the point of sending instructions. It just lights up and says MEADE. When the power is turned on recently, the scope twirls around.

I am wondering if you had any ideas.  One is to find a new mount for the gps scope, one that works, and find someone that knows more about the EMC.  We are in Medford Oregon.  Any suggestions?

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 OleCuss

OleCuss

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

You could send one or both scopes to Meade and they might be able to help.

For the behavior of the 8"?  I'd wonder first about whether the voltage you are putting into the mount is right.  Strange things can happen if the voltage is not quite what it expects.  My second thought would be to try doing an update of the hand controller's firmware and maybe even get a new hand controller.

But I'm no expert on this so I make no guarantees.

• Skywatchr likes this

#3 SkipW

SkipW

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma, USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:24 PM

There is a very active LX200GPS Yahoo group. Some of the members there are very knowledgeable and could no doubt give you very good advice and help with troubleshooting for both of those telescopes.

Edited by SkipW, 16 September 2019 - 06:24 PM.

• OleCuss likes this

#4 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:02 PM

Hi

I am new to this site.

I have questions about 2 meade telescopes that aren't fully functional at my school.

I have 2 donated telescopes.  One is a meade lx 200 gps10" telescope.  We had to do repairs several years ago because the RA gears were jammed.  Unfortunately at my school there isn't a good place for storage and I believe the gears were jammed because we carried it too much. We fixed it, we are amateurs, and again this fall we mounted it onto a cart and the RA motion makes a grinding sound.   The second is a 8# EMC meade classic.  The power works.  It seems the controller doesn't warm up to the point of sending instructions. It just lights up and says MEADE. When the power is turned on recently, the scope twirls around.

I am wondering if you had any ideas.  One is to find a new mount for the gps scope, one that works, and find someone that knows more about the EMC.  We are in Medford Oregon.  Any suggestions?

Since you have 2 different versions of the LX200, it is best to have two different threads to prevent any confusion between the two as they are both different. The EMC is the LX200 Classic that is different than the GPS model, and unfortunately Meade isn't capable of repairing the "Classic" model anymore. If the hand controller is stuck at MEADE on the display, the computer is finding a fault during it's boot-up. Does the RA motor run when you first power it on?  It should as the computer does a "check" to seek the sensor on the worm gear. If it doesn't "see" the gear is rotating, it stops there. Now that isn't the only thing that causes it to get "stuck, bit it is a place to start.  Also, make sure the cables are firmly plugged in and "click" in.  Look inside the plugs to see if there is anything in there preventing the cable plugs from making contact with the socket contacts.

EDIT:

There could be just some "dirt" blocking the sensor on the RA worm gear, or dirty/corroded contacts on the cables, or in the sockets.  I re-read your message and the RA motor is turning upon power it on?

Edited by Skywatchr, 16 September 2019 - 10:08 PM.

#5 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:05 PM

You could send one or both scopes to Meade and they might be able to help.

For the behavior of the 8"?  I'd wonder first about whether the voltage you are putting into the mount is right.  Strange things can happen if the voltage is not quite what it expects.  My second thought would be to try doing an update of the hand controller's firmware and maybe even get a new hand controller.

But I'm no expert on this so I make no guarantees.

The LX200 Classic is a completely different mount and the hand controller is not an Autostar. It cannot be updated since it is basically a "dumb terminal". All the operational firmware is located on the main board in 2 ROM chips.

• OleCuss likes this

#6 Peterson Engineering

Peterson Engineering

Vendor - Peterson Engineering

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: RI, USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:35 AM

Open the base of the GPS and look for anything obvious such as the drive hanging on by just one screw or gears not fully meshing.  Sometimes the problem is obvious.

Pete

• Skywatchr likes this

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

Nether mount is known for stripping their gears. Drives coming loose, yes.

The Classic 8 is suffering from runaway. The Classic has a fairly primitive optical encoder system that provides speed and direction data to the control system. This condition is usually caused the signal conditioning circuit being out of adjustment. 

https://www.google.c...569535761803351

https://www.google.c...569535761803351

https://www.cloudyni...ec-help-please/

https://www.cloudyni...-classic-lx200/

Member Rob Ferrante may have some replacement signal conditioning circuits of a modern design available https://www.cloudyni...6331-rferrante/

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, SCT, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics