•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

N.I.N.A., Plate Solving, and Re-alignment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 southerndandy

southerndandy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Uxbridge, MA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

Hello everyone.  It's possible that I'm just totally missing it, but I'm confused over how to use an image from a previous night to plate solve and re-align on the target.  I use NINA and PlateSolve 2, and have successfully used it several times now to align and image, so I have an understanding of how that process works.  I'm just not sure how to use an image I took to re-center to add more data.  I've read through a number of threads on here, but haven't quite found the answer.  It's probably so simple that's I'm just missing it.  I'm using a Canon T6 on an Orion ED80 on a Siruis mount.  I have not removed or rotated the camera since I took the first set of images.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Tim

• Swordfishy likes this

#2 tkottary

tkottary

Viking 1

• Loc: SunnyVale ,CA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

Go to framing . Under source select file then press load image - this will allow you to select any file
  • OrionSword, Swordfishy and unimatrix0 like this

#3 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

tkottary is right.  But...since you're using a DSLR, and (I assume) saving as a RAW file, it can be a bit more involved.

FITS files saved from dedicated astronomy cameras have the RA/DEC coordinates of the center of the image embedded in the header.

RAW files don't.

So if you load up one of your CR2 RAW files, you'll have to use the blind solver (assuming you've set one up in NINA) and that can take a while or sometimes fail.

Here's what I think is a better way:  Go to the Sky Atlas in NINA.  Search for the main target object in your images that you've already taken.  Once you find it, select it and click (on the right of the target info) "Set for Framing Assistant."  That will send the coordinates of the target to the Framing Assistant, and now it has coordinates that are at least in the ballpark of your image.

Once you're in Framing Assistant, NINA will already be trying to load the NASA Sky Survey image of your object -- click on the big "X" button near the top left to make it stop trying to do that.

Change the "Image Source" dropdown selector to "File."  Then click on the "Load Image" button just below it (which used to be the big "X" that you already clicked).  It will open a file selector dialog box.  Find and select your RAW file, then click OK.  NINA will load for a bit, then tell you that the image needs to be platesolved, and will use the Framing Assistant coordinates you already set (from the Sky Atlast) as the suggested coordinates, and ask if you want to use those.  Click "Yes" (asking if reference coordinates should be taken).

It will then platesolve your image to find the exact center, size, and rotation, fill those into the Framing Assistant fields, then display your image.  

Now you can send those exact coordinates to the Sequencer, and use them to do another sequence at exactly the same spot you were before.

I just tried this with an M42 image I took with my DSLR 8 months ago, and it worked fine. :)

Hope that helps!

Edited by OldManSky, 16 September 2019 - 02:02 PM.

• OrionSword, southerndandy, RossW and 1 other like this

#4 southerndandy

southerndandy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Uxbridge, MA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

tkottary is right.  But...since you're using a DSLR, and (I assume) saving as a RAW file, it can be a bit more involved.

FITS files saved from dedicated astronomy cameras have the RA/DEC coordinates of the center of the image embedded in the header.

RAW files don't.

So if you load up one of your CR2 RAW files, you'll have to use the blind solver (assuming you've set one up in NINA) and that can take a while or sometimes fail.

Here's what I think is a better way:  Go to the Sky Atlas in NINA.  Search for the main target object in your images that you've already taken.  Once you find it, select it and click (on the right of the target info) "Set for Framing Assistant."  That will send the coordinates of the target to the Framing Assistant, and now it has coordinates that are at least in the ballpark of your image.

Once you're in Framing Assistant, NINA will already be trying to load the NASA Sky Survey image of your object -- click on the big "X" button near the top left to make it stop trying to do that.

Change the "Image Source" dropdown selector to "File."  Then click on the "Load Image" button just below it (which used to be the big "X" that you already clicked).  It will open a file selector dialog box.  Find and select your RAW file, then click OK.  NINA will load for a bit, then tell you that the image needs to be platesolved, and will use the Framing Assistant coordinates you already set (from the Sky Atlast) as the suggested coordinates, and ask if you want to use those.  Click "Yes" (asking if reference coordinates should be taken).

It will then platesolve your image to find the exact center, size, and rotation, fill those into the Framing Assistant fields, then display your image.  

Now you can send those exact coordinates to the Sequencer, and use them to do another sequence at exactly the same spot you were before.

I just tried this with an M42 image I took with my DSLR 8 months ago, and it worked fine. smile.gif

Hope that helps!

Thank you for that info, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Now I just have to wait for a night that's clear and they're not spraying for mosquitoes to try it out.

• Swordfishy likes this

#5 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Messenger

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

Excellent! Thanks for starting the thread, I learned as well now :-)

#6 richorn

richorn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

Also, once you have the newly solved coordinates in the sequencer, you might want to save the sequence so in the future you can just load it, and all the previous settings will be restored.

Edited by richorn, 17 September 2019 - 10:23 AM.

• OldManSky and Swordfishy like this

#7 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Messenger

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

I am currently mucking about with this. I LOVE this software... For Mosaics it is brilliant. 

Truly, I hope we never let it die, I wish i could knew how to write code so I could contribute.

#8 cuivienor

cuivienor

Vanguard

• Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:32 PM

I am currently mucking about with this. I LOVE this software... For Mosaics it is brilliant. 

Truly, I hope we never let it die, I wish i could knew how to write code so I could contribute.

You don't need to be able to write code! Contributions to the documentation would be most appreciated! https://nighttime-im...g/contributing/

• Swordfishy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics