•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Electronic Filter Wheel Edge HD 11" f10

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cooksterman

Cooksterman

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Indiana

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

Continuing on my long journey of continual learning.  For my Celestron Edge HD 11" scope of 2800mm focal length (f/10) what electronic filter wheel should I consider and what details should I be aware of.

Thanks 

Edited by Cooksterman, 16 September 2019 - 05:37 PM.

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

A filter wheel is matched to the camera, not to the telescope, although you will need some adapter to attach the wheel to the scope and to the camera. So, first you select the camera that you want. The size of the chip in the camera determines the size of the filters that you need. Normally, people get LRGB filters at first and then they may get narrow band filters at a later date. Given that you have a 290 any wheel will do for that camera. Just pay attention to what adapters you might need.

If you are doing long exposure astro-photography then you will almost certainly need an off axis guider with that telescope and the focal reducer.  If you are just going to do short exposures of the moon and the planets then you have a much simpler system. 

Rgrds-Ross

#3 Cooksterman

Cooksterman

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

Ross, thanks for the crystal clear input.  At this stage simplicity is good.     

Barry

#4 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

I use a ZWO EFW-Mini filter wheel on my 8-inch Edge HD, which can be used with as many as five 31mm un-mounted or 1 1/4-inch threaded filters. I use this filter wheel with a ASI 174MM monochrome camera.  It weighs no more than the manual Orion filter wheel I have, and operates smoothly without vibrating the telescope. Filter changes are very quick. Best of all, it costs $199.00. If you're just doing solar system imaging and not using a larger than APS sized chip camera, it works well. ZWO also offers other electronic filter wheels for users of cameras with larger chips and or require the use of larger filters.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 16 September 2019 - 06:54 PM.

#5 Cooksterman

Cooksterman

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:46 AM

I was looking strongly at the ZWO electronic filter wheel.  On the camera selection I love the simplicity of the newer ZWO and the Mallincam for remote viewing.  I've not done any deep skiy photography as yet but would love to.  Another big chunk of knowledge building that I'm looking forward to.

Thanks for your insights on the ZWO.

Clear skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics