•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help with plate solving

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

I am trying to use plate solving with my ZWO 224 camera hooked up though Sharpcap. My telescope is a 10 LX200GPS. When I take a picture and have Sharpcap solve it, it will give me the coordinates of where it is pointing but it will not move my scope. What am I doing wrong? Any help will be appreciated.

#2 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

Under File/SharpCap settings, the Plate Solve tab, do you have Sync mount only or the Sync mount and re-center selected?

• kingjamez likes this

#3 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:43 AM

Sync and recenter.

#4 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:21 AM

When you select plate solve in the menu then only the solve without syncing will be done.
Select the button at the bottom of the mount icons. This will do also the syncing.

#5 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

The location of the correct button is at the bottom of the right column.

#6 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

In hardware I have set up the ASCOM drivers. I know they work with Cartes de Ciel.

#7 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

In hardware I have set up the ASCOM drivers. I know they work with Cartes de Ciel.

#8 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:14 PM

Is that the "plate solve and sync" button located in the scope controls portion of the camera control panel? The button is on the bottom left of the scope control and kind of looks like a finder scope.

#9 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

Anxious to see if that works for you. 

I’ve never been successful using the recenter feature in SharpCap. The platesolving works fine, and it calculates what looks like the right RA/DEC correction. But then it applies the correction backwards.  So the pointing error is doubled after every platesolve/recenter. tongue2.gif

So I’m stuck taking a snapshot, then manually selecting the new image from AstroTortilla. Works, recentering and all, but I wish I could get SharpCap to recenter correctly. 

#10 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

Is that the "plate solve and sync" button located in the scope controls portion of the camera control panel? The button is on the bottom left of the scope control and kind of looks like a finder scope.

Yes.

https://docs.sharpca...ardware Control

#11 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:29 PM

Anxious to see if that works for you. 

I’ve never been successful using the recenter feature in SharpCap. The platesolving works fine, and it calculates what looks like the right RA/DEC correction. But then it applies the correction backwards.  So the pointing error is doubled after every platesolve/recenter. tongue2.gif

So I’m stuck taking a snapshot, then manually selecting the new image from AstroTortilla. Works, recentering and all, but I wish I could get SharpCap to recenter correctly. 

Odd. It's always worked perfectly for me. Have you gone onto the SharpCap forums and done a search or posed a question about it? Seems like you probably have a setting flipped or something simple.

#12 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:03 PM

Got the message "Could not sync mount to plate solve location. Method ASCOM MeadeUniversal telescope sync to coordinates is not implemented in this driver". What driver should I be using with an LX200GPS telescope? The driver works with Cartes de Ciel.

#13 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:24 AM

The fact that the driver works with CDC means it is not a driver issue.

I think it is an access issue. Only one piece of software can connect the Ascom driver and you are trying to use two. The solution is to set up the POTH hub (comes with the Ascom platform) which, when configured, connects directly to the Meade driver. You then configure CDC and SharpCap to connect to the POTH hub which allows them to both talk to the scope together.

https://ascom-standa...g/FAQs/POTH.htm

Edited by mikenoname, 18 September 2019 - 01:25 AM.

#14 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:45 AM

Odd. It's always worked perfectly for me. Have you gone onto the SharpCap forums and done a search or posed a question about it? Seems like you probably have a setting flipped or something simple.

As a long shot to fix this, I decided to leave AstroTortilla out of the mix tonight. I used only SharpCap for platesolving (plus CdC for pointing). What I have done in the past was use AstroTortilla to solve a single location at startup, sync/skew the mount, and then switch to SharpCap. Tonight I left out the first sync using AT. 

Can’t imagine why, but that fixed the problem. Yes, the rest of my software was set for Jnow, and apparently SC uses J2000, so I had a little residual error. Objects were not dead center like I’m used to with AT.  That should be fixable. 

#15 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:44 AM

I didn't have CDC connected when I got the driver error. Just Sharpcap. I wouldn't think you need CDC connected in order for it to work.

#16 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:47 AM

I realized I could not connect both of them at the same time but figured I would solve one problem at a time.

#17 mikenoname

mikenoname

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:44 AM

As a long shot to fix this, I decided to leave AstroTortilla out of the mix tonight. I used only SharpCap for platesolving (plus CdC for pointing). What I have done in the past was use AstroTortilla to solve a single location at startup, sync/skew the mount, and then switch to SharpCap. Tonight I left out the first sync using AT. 

Can’t imagine why, but that fixed the problem.

Because that's the way it is supposed to be used. According to the SC instructions you install, but don't directly use, AT. SC uses AT's engine and plates to do the work but you aren't supposed to have AT running. Doing so probably just confused things.

#18 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Galion, Ohio

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:13 AM

Glad you got it working. I use cdc as my pointer and then have allakyplatesolver installed. SharpCap then looks at that data but it isn’t open. SharpCap will then solve and resync with cdc. Hard to believe how easy it is.
  • mikenoname likes this

#19 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

Was looking on the ASCOM website. The Meade driver I am using is not the one they recommend. Will download the the one they recommend and try again. Hopefully tonight.

#20 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

Tried the recommended driver and it would not work. I have a Celestron 4se scope and I can sync and recenter with it. I tried using POTH with both scopes and I cannot get it to work with CDC. Any ideas? I am completely frustrated by this. As advanced as everything is today and astronomy is using technology from the 90's.

#21 nic35

nic35

Viking 1

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

I think posting over on the sharpcap forum is your best bet. 

You might refresh yourself by looking here :  https://www.sharpcap...s/plate-solving

You are not doing blind plate solving, are you ?  That does not recenter.

j

#22 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

I would like to park my scope after each use so when I start it up I pick an object to slew to, enter the time and date and then the scope slews to the target. I would like to use Sharpcap to plate solve and re center to adjust for any errors and do that with each target as apposed to having to do a 2 star alignment every time I set up.

#23 GoFish

GoFish

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 September 2019 - 10:17 PM

Although I’m not familiar with your mount, some (most?) Celestron mounts have a hibernate setting. If you leave it set up after putting it into hibernate mode, then when it is awakened it will retain its last pointing model. Once it then knows the time and date it can resume GoTo-ing. 

#24 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 05:10 AM

Meade has the same feature. Only I don't have a permanent setup. My scope is an a cart that I put in the same spot with marks in the cement but alignment is always off by a small amount. Hence wanting to use plate solving.

#25 tgrlx200

tgrlx200

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:12 AM

I got the plate solving in Sharpcap to work with the new Meade Generic ASCOM driver as long as I run it through POTH. If I don't run it through POTH my system crashes and I have to restart my computer. I have had a couple of times it would not work and I needed to deselect the driver in Sharpcap settings, select a different driver, press apply and the reselect POTH and configure the Meade Generic driver and then it works. I do all of this before I start Cartes de Ceil. Luckily the LX200GPS has two RS232 ports because I was not able to get both the drivers for Sharpcap and Cartes de Ciel to work at the same time using POTH.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics