•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Filters for Coronado pst?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rxeddie2003

rxeddie2003

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arcadia, CA

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:37 PM

I recently got a Coronado pst and I'm having a blast so far.  I am mainly using a for visual use.

I was wondering are the ways to bring out subtle visual details using other filters such as hydrogen alpha, IR, polarizing filters, etc.  I realize double stacking will achieve the best results, but I didn't have that kind of money.  I also recently connected a Revolution imager R2 and used the setting recommended by the company, but I found out that most of visual details were lost not enhanced.  I was wondering if anybody tried this combination before and if so, any recommendations?  Thanks!

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

No, there are no other filters that will help.

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

Heya,

Just look or post an add for a SM40 module. It will thread to the front of your PST and double stack it. Commonly used $300~400 USD depending on age/condition. It makes a huge difference on the PST. Well worth it. I know someone looking to sell one if you're interested.

Very best,

#4 rxeddie2003

rxeddie2003

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

Thank you for your advice.  I need to learn to be content with what I have for now.  Can't wait till Mercury transit later this year.  Clear skies to all!

#5 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

There are several threads on optimal R2 settings. But I never got it to look better than visual.

https://www.cloudyni...lunt/?p=8303692

George

#6 rxeddie2003

rxeddie2003

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

Thanks George for the useful and info. Eddie 

#7 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

I would check the condition of the ITF filter in your PST. I have seen new PSTs come with cloudy ITF filters. The ITF is located at the very bottom of the eyepiece tube. It is not the small one you see when you look into the tube. You need to either unscrew the focuser tube or take the side cover off to see the filter and determine it's condition. If it is cloudy replacing it will make a good amount of difference in the sharpness and contrast of the views.  There are many threads on checking and replacing the ITF and also aligning the Penta prism which is also a common problem. Here is  a link to one these threads https://www.cloudyni...ion-pst-owners/

- Dave 

• clintmk89 likes this

#8 clintmk89

clintmk89

Explorer 1

• Loc: East Texas

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:13 PM

Taking apart a PST sounds scary David but kinda makes me wonder if mine has an issue like you stated. Had mine for maybe 2 years now and never had to great of views as far as detail goes. 

#9 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

Taking apart a PST sounds scary David but kinda makes me wonder if mine has an issue like you stated. Had mine for maybe 2 years now and never had to great of views as far as detail goes. 

What is to be scared about ?  Just take the bolts out of the side cover to remove it and look in to see if the ITF is cloudy and/or the prism is misaligned.  There have many threads posted on replacing the ITF filter and aligning the prism.  The repair is easy and it will make the big improvement in the image quality. If your PST has  these problems, and you don't fix them and then any other attempt to improve the image will fall very short.

- Dave 

• marktownley and clintmk89 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics