•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Enjoyment of simple visual viewing w/new C8-A & Delos ep’s

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AJK 547

AJK 547

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago, Ill.

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

I upgraded recently from my 6SE to the EVO 6/C8-A and was blessed (FINALLY) with VG ‘Seeing’ and Transparency tonight in Chicago.  I attached the C8-A ota and let it acclimate for 3 hours before turning the new ‘scope on Jove.  Initial visuals of Jupiter was excellent with detailed ‘festoons’ and subtle color variations in the NEB but sadly no pale salmon colored GRS tonight. Oh well...

i then slewed to Saturn and this is where I was blown away by the wealth of detail in Saturns ring structures... (A, B, Cassini (razor sharp!), and hints of C ring during moments of truly excellent still air column.  I could easily see the gradient ‘banding’ in the Northern Hemisphere, but no Hexagon observed.  All of this was accomplished with my new TV Delos 8 (~254X) & 6 (~339X) (with and w/o Baader M&SG filter testing)).  Next up, I brought out the TV Delos 4.5 (~452X) and still was blessed with moments of a very ‘crisp’ Cassini div. and hints of the C ring.  I’m finding out that the TV Delos ep’s are simply... excellent.

Finally, I turned the C8-A to Altair for some initial ‘Star Testing’.  Minor ‘under correction’ of primary, but equal energy in the DR patterns on both sides of focus at ~254X was pleasing to see.  

The evening was ‘special’ since the ‘seeing’ remained nearly constant for 2.5 hrs.  REALLY RARE around these parts.  The Astrospheric app is proving to be very useful on the smartphone with detailed info on cloud patterns, ‘seeing’ estimates, transparency estimates, and especially current Jet Stream patterns.

For reference, I found an image of Saturn that closely approximates what I was seeing tonight when viewed with the TV Delos 4.5 (452X).  Actually, my visual observation of Saturn (and especially the ring structures) was superior in resolution to the attached image!

This evening was truly memorable...

Attached Thumbnails

• B7C8950A-AB37-4A00-BA15-2AEFAE8875FF.jpeg

Edited by AJK 547, 17 September 2019 - 07:58 AM.

• petert913 and photomagica like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:53 PM

Sweet !

• AJK 547 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics