•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200GPS Declination STIFF

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StargazerMax94

StargazerMax94

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 16 September 2019 - 11:21 PM

I have a older LX200GPS that I acquired from a gentleman. It's around a 2005 model year. The declination is VERY tight, like things aren't right with the bearing or something. I tried to move the tube up and down to possibly move the grease around to see if it would loosen up, but I heard a loud pop/bang sound. Then I took out the gear, clutch plate and the OTA is still stiff as can be. I took off the covers on both sides and can't seem to see anything. It's so tight you need two hands and some force to move the tube up or down in the forks. The gears, and clutches are disassembled and still won't move easily. Any suggestions on what to do? Anybody else encounter this problem?

Thanks

• Skywatchr likes this

#2 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

I have a older LX200GPS that I acquired from a gentleman. It's around a 2005 model year. The declination is VERY tight, like things aren't right with the bearing or something. I tried to move the tube up and down to possibly move the grease around to see if it would loosen up, but I heard a loud pop/bang sound. Then I took out the gear, clutch plate and the OTA is still stiff as can be. I took off the covers on both sides and can't seem to see anything. It's so tight you need two hands and some force to move the tube up or down in the forks. The gears, and clutches are disassembled and still won't move easily. Any suggestions on what to do? Anybody else encounter this problem?

Thanks

Sounds like either the forks are misaligned, or at least one of the trunion plates on the telescope tube are crooked binding up the bearings in the fork arms.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics