•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200GPS Left Fork Bracket Rubbing Arm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 StargazerMax94

StargazerMax94

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:45 AM

I have a older LX200GPS that I acquired from a gentleman. It's around a 2005 model year. The declination is VERY tight, like things aren't right with the bearing or something. I tried to move the tube up and down to possibly move the grease around to see if it would loosen up, but I heard a loud pop/bang sound. Then I took out the gear, clutch plate and the OTA is still stiff as can be. It's so tight you need two hands and some force to move the tube up or down in the forks. The gears, and clutches are disassembled and still won't move easily. I’ve noticed that the left fork arm saddle/bracket that holds the OTA and goes into the left fork arm is rubbing the side of the fork arm causing the resistance. But how do I fix that? Any suggestions how to remedy this problem?

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:53 AM

Gday StarGazerMax

The left fork arm stub axle/saddle plate is held by a single simple ball bearing on the inner side of the fork arm.

There is no way the saddle can rub against the fork arm itself unless something is wrong with the bearing

Might be time for some disassy.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#3 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:19 AM

Why 2 threads on the same scope?

• StargazerMax94 likes this

#4 StargazerMax94

StargazerMax94

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

Gday StarGazerMax

The left fork arm stub axle/saddle plate is held by a single simple ball bearing on the inner side of the fork arm.

There is no way the saddle can rub against the fork arm itself unless something is wrong with the bearing

Might be time for some disassy.

Found out this is what it is indeed. The axle that attaches the OTA to the left fork arm. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2ECDB73F-C19F-4A8A-A80D-8979A948E6B6.jpeg

• Skywatchr likes this

#5 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:14 PM

Gday Stargazermax

I stand corrected bigshock.gif

I cant imagine what would do damage like that other than a big drop

Have you checked the collimation of the Optics to ensure the baffle isnt damaged etc.

• Skywatchr likes this

#6 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:07 AM

Gday Stargazermax

I stand corrected bigshock.gif

I cant imagine what would do damage like that other than a big drop

Have you checked the collimation of the Optics to ensure the baffle isnt damaged etc.

Actually you weren't totally wrong. Something is wrong with the bearing.  Well, the bearing "surface" anyways. I've never seen the axle snapped off like that before.

#7 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:08 AM

Found out this is what it is indeed. The axle that attaches the OTA to the left fork arm. 

Whoa!  Time to be searching for a bearing plate.  Use that picture in your "wanted" ad. And state what size your OTA is of course.

Edited by Skywatchr, 18 September 2019 - 09:10 AM.

#8 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:59 PM

I'm going to BFSP next week. I'll keep an eye out for one and snag it if I find one. You never know what you'll find on the swap tables.  All I have is for the LX200 Classic and are a bit different than the GPS models.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics