•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best Eyepiece for FSQ85

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael_KA

Michael_KA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Hello all,

this is my first post here and first of all I'd like to say thank you! I just got into astronomy recently and a big part of my knowledge I got just through studying this Forum.

After reading a lot about different kinds of telescopes I reached the conclusion that I should get myself a quite handy refractor as I am (as of now) mainly interested in observing planets and the telescope has to be handy.

Just by accident I found a FSQ85 on Yahoo Auction Japan and bought it. I know, might be a little overkill for me as a noob but I like good quality and I thought 196.000JPY - about 1800USD - is quite a good deal considering the scope not having the slightest traces of usage according to the description, which is usually not a lie coming from J sellers. Also it should be quite new as its blue and not lime green.

This is it in case you're interested:
https://page.auction...tion/h421447169

So far I only bought this scope. The next thing I'd like to buy is an appropriate eyepiece. Which eyepiece would you guys recommend for observing planets with this scope?

Any suggestions? Thank you beforehand!

#2 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

Hi there, and welcome to Cloudy Nights welcome.gif

That looks like a very nice deal on a very nice scope ubetcha.gif   450mm focal length is relatively short, so you may want to choose an eyepiece under 5mm to get some close up views of the planets [100x +]. A barlow/powermate would come in handy as well to double [or triple] your magnification factor. What's your budget? 

Some of my favorite planetary eyepieces are the Pentax XW & TeleVue Delos. They are very sharp and produce beautiful views. They also have some focal lengths in between each other for finding that perfect magnification [great for OCD viewers like myself]. Baader Morpheus is in that category as well, also with in between focal lengths. These all feature about 20mm of eye relief, great for those who wear glasses and/or those who prefer long eye relief for their viewing comfort [I'm the latter]. 

A step up in price [more like an elevator up in price] is the TeleVue Ethos-SX. They make a 4.7mm & 3.7mm with a 110° AFOV. I have the 4.7, and it is a very sharp eyepiece. I have seen some great detail on Jupiter & Saturn with it in my refractor [194x magnification]. The eye relief is a bit shorter, and you really have to get close to see most of the field of view, but overall it's a really nice EP.

There's a lot of other candidates out there, like APM/Lunt, TeleVue Nagler & DeLite, Takahashi LE & TOE, Vixen HR, Explore Scientific, and the list goes on, but I'll let others comment on those as I don't have the most experience with them.

Good luck! waytogo.gif

#3 Spikey131

Spikey131

Viking 1

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:34 AM

Welcome to CN.

You have landed yourself a really nice refractor.  It deserves really good EPs, especially given its fast f/ratio.

I will offer no advice other than to check out the advice from Al Nagler himself here:  http://www.televue.c...n=Advice&id=220

I would look at the recommendations for the TV 76 since it has a similar focal length.

#4 213Cobra

213Cobra

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

Good choice. The Baby-Q is exceptionally versatile (and compact) in that aperture class. I use one strictly visually, and same with my FSQ-106ED. I find Tele-Vue DeLite, Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces seamlessly compatible with these relatively fast telescopes. Same for Takahashi UW and TOE. I am not recommending against TV Delos -- I've just never looked through one. TV Ethos is also compatible but they are heavy. With the scope's class distributed in quad form, the FSQ-85 is nicely balanced compared to 80mm triplets. The Pentax XW series eyepieces also mostly work well with the Baby-Q, the least effective one being the 20mm which has some intrinsic astigmatism. I also use a Baader Zoom 4 with and without its dedicated barlow, successfully.

Because of the sheer optical excellence of Takahashi's dedicated Extender, I recommend you buy the Q1.5X Extender meant for this scope. It will get you to 675mm FL for a higher magnification starting point, and it can still take barlowing beyond that, but you won't need it. For example, a 3.5mm Nagler used with the Q1.5X yields ~192X for an exit pupil of 0.44mm and ~57X/inch. Perfect top end for the scope. In the other direction go all the way to something like a 41mm Panoptic to do the Tele-Vue low power thing @~11X magnification (sans the Extender). Enjoy the beautiful, flat-field views. One more thing: If you find you don't have enough in-travel to focus a particular eyepiece, remove the Camera Angle Adjuster from the lightpath. Usually that will be enough.

Phil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics