•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CPC1100 mounting issue

equipment imaging mount SCT Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 winglift

winglift

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:11 AM

I recently attended an outreach program and upon setting up my CPC1100 onto  the  tripod mount, I noticed that there was a slight wobble even after tightening the three mounting bolts as far as they would go. I only had enough time to look at the mounting holes for debris and did find some, but that did not fix the problem. At home the next day, I was finally able to determine what the problem was and thought that it might be worth sharing. Here is a short, about a minute, video of what I found.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QIjxpK5ABAA

• Michael_Swanson likes this

#2 fellers

fellers

Apollo

• Loc: NY by ADK park

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

I recently attended an outreach program and upon setting up my CPC1100 onto the tripod mount, I noticed that there was a slight wobble even after tightening the three mounting bolts as far as they would go. I only had enough time to look at the mounting holes for debris and did find some, but that did not fix the problem. At home the next day, I was finally able to determine what the problem was and thought that it might be worth sharing. Here is a short, about a minute, video of what I found.

https://www.youtube....h?v=QIjxpK5ABAA

Well that makes sense. I had the same issue. But i put nylon washers downthe base of the 3 screw pegs.

#3 Digital Don

Digital Don

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:10 AM

Here's what I've observed.

After placing the scope on the tripod but before you start tightening the screws, you'll notice that the scope can be shifted slightly side to side.  This is because the 'tabs' on the bottom of the drive base are smaller than the locating recesses on the top of the tripod head. 

If the tabs are not centered in the tripod recesses when you tighten the screws, one or more of  them  may go in at a slight angle and appear to 'lock' before it is actually in all the way in.  When that happens, the scope will indeed 'rock' if you try to move it. 

The solution is simple - be sure to center the drive base tabs in the tripod recesses, and tighten the screws in 'round robin' fashion. 

That's always worked for me. 

Don usa.gif

#4 winglift

winglift

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

Here's what I've observed.

After placing the scope on the tripod but before you start tightening the screws, you'll notice that the scope can be shifted slightly side to side.  This is because the 'tabs' on the bottom of the drive base are smaller than the locating recesses on the top of the tripod head. 

If the tabs are not centered in the tripod recesses when you tighten the screws, one or more of  them  may go in at a slight angle and appear to 'lock' before it is actually in all the way in.  When that happens, the scope will indeed 'rock' if you try to move it. 

The solution is simple - be sure to center the drive base tabs in the tripod recesses, and tighten the screws in 'round robin' fashion. 

That's always worked for me. 

Don usa.gif

Thanks for that. Getting a solid connection to the base is very important as a small gap there would translate into a larger movement in the telescope.

Edited by winglift, 19 September 2019 - 02:06 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, imaging, mount, SCT, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics