•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mount Dilemma...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
462 replies to this topic

#426 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

Ouch...the  Astrotrac Travel Set used to be sold at 2000$ and was seen as expensive and often accused of being "poor value" (IME a very misleading statement).

My remark about lack of meaningful improvement was linked to the fact that, as of the last posts you made, can not go longer than 60" with the A7s/SpaceCat, which, to be honest,  is a rather poor performance in absolute terms and quite disappointing given the fact with, at that budget, could have made a very effective system around a reliable and accurate tracker such as the Lightrack (or even a cheaper second hand Astrotrac).

As for RRS, could not agree more. I have "made" a visual mount of ARCA ballhead and NovoFlex pano head

gallery_215679_8115_285183.jpg

and it is incredibly effective. I opted for the ballhead for several reasons, but could get similar results with a couple of panoramic plates and and L bracket, even getting a sort of "gimbal head" whose best asset is the possibility to be split into individually small parts easy to carry

#427 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

My remark about lack of meaningful improvement was linked to the fact that, as of the last posts you made, can not go longer than 60" with the A7s/SpaceCat, which, to be honest,  is a rather poor performance in absolute terms and quite disappointing...

My 1 min comment was quite preliminary since I really need to spend some time properly balancing in the field (...need to take care of that east heavy thing). System is new and needs minor tweaking, getting used to, etc. I am hopeful 3 min unguided may be possible. Will keep you all posted.

I wanted a bit rugged, easily tear-able, easily maneuverable, utilitarian kind of system in a portable/compact setup and I have achieved that. Pending more focused 3 min unguided testing, all is well thus far. Of course my personal problem is not being good at star hopping, plate solving, manually navigating etc. I see NOT having go-to bigger caveat than 3 min (un) guided concern at this time. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 26 July 2020 - 11:21 PM.

#428 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:41 PM

3 min unguided data is in and results are impressive. Attached is 150% zoom to a section of the image; RAW here.... You'll need to be really particular about how you tweak your mount since anything less will NOT let you go un-guided much longer. I have noticed some (SkyGuider) mounts come bit restricted (stiff or 'stricted'). Getting bit East heavy is also critical. Regards

Note: 3min unguided, ISO2000, a7S/SkyGuider/PoleMaster/SpaceCat/D2/WOBase/RRS/Feisol; RAW...

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by mmalik, 27 July 2020 - 02:43 PM.

#429 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:21 PM

I gave a peek to the .raw with IRIS as am out for work and on this laptop can not run PI, and indeed guess that the stack would have good-looking stars: am happy that at the end managed to have your rig working as it should have done from the beginningwaytogo.gif

However I would not be so procrustean in my conclusions, as 180" at that sampling are far from being an exceptional feature and probably some iOptron units can attain that with the basic kit (or at least, I would hope so)

As a side note, that was my first time with a Sony .raw and its star-mangling algorithm: as am thinking to add a modded DSLR to the eosR (maybe not from canon, just to try something new) I am quite interested on how you deal with that.

My first thought was to remove the stars, process the target, and then add the field stars again after a bit of gaussian blur, even if would mean losing a fair share of the fainter ones; but I am not a PP wizard (at all!), so would be glad for any suggestion

#430 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

However I would not be so procrustean in my conclusions, as 180" at that sampling are far from being an exceptional feature and probably some iOptron units can attain that with the basic kit (or at least, I would hope so)

I have tried a few samples and have never gotten this close. Problem is many fold, starting with the core hardware to accessories like iPolar and Polar Scope which are either not up to par to begin with or need calibration, respectively. Know that PoleMaster is a big advantage over both. iPolar is a crude implementation and polar scope doesn't come calibrated. It all adds up.

As far the core hardware goes, if your (SkyGuider) mount is not rotating freely 360° unloaded, and has damping/resistance points along the arc, you need to relieve those. I have found (new) stiff mount to be a big impediment to getting longer un-guided exposures. I have covered all such aspects above and how to remediate them.

One flaw I found was the crooked hole at the base of the mount where you need to adjust legs to center (base) bubble and make it vertical. It is a subtle flaw and can be easily overlooked. I didn't notice it until I tried WO base where I didn't need to un-even legs to center the bubble.

All in all SkyGuider needs an overhaul out of the box; not a bad thing per se but you'll be lucky if you get a sample that didn't need one. People try to guide SkyGuider to overcome all such issues. I am of the view a tracker shouldn't need guiding. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 27 July 2020 - 07:05 PM.

#431 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:11 PM

This is what I am currently using the same way. Works great. As stated, RRS makes superb products. I purchased this to mount to my bino rig and it was only 30.00 on Amazon.

https://images-na.ss..._AC_SL1200_.jpg

So you like buying Chinese copy-cat things that violate US patents? Often times the companies and the US government don't bother to go after then because just like gophers and drug dealers new ones will pop-up almost immediately. They send them here in shipping containers marked with different contents than shown on invoices then their agents in the US create a website to sell them with bogus info. Amazon does not investigate them much either unless law enforcement gets involved.

#432 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:59 AM

Agree that in principle trackers should work unguided, but must admit that guiding is undoubtedly cheaper, and we are again to the original point.
Also, your detailed review highlights well the real "value" of one of these trackers, which would be useful to those still persuaded that teackers are just cheaper mounts, but also put under a different perspective the pricings of other devices

#433 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Astronomy is a wilderness sport; it is an expedition. I would like to coin the term 'expeditionary astronomy' if it doesn't exist. I would like to approach astronomy from an expeditionary standpoint. Going out to a dark site is nothing less than an expedition; taming the wilderness and the night is an expedition. Surviving the night in no man's land is an expedition. Going even to the backyard is an extension of such an expedition. Note: Remote astronomy is not a focus at this point; so hold those thoughts, we'll cover that sometime soon.

Where I am heading with this... I would like to rethink portability. I would like to re-think astronomical mobility. It doesn't have to be a compact/portable setup to qualify for that. I want to re-think portability of medium size mounts (e.g., Mach2) to the wilderness or to the backyard on frequent basis. I would like to think in terms of mobile observatory, metaphorically speaking. I would like to think agile astronomy.

Do we really need a dome in the backyard and a dome in the wilderness to do astronomy. Can we purpose build our vehicles to assist in this cause. Can we define objectively and discretely what a mobile 'AP' setup is? It can be a SkyGuider and it can be a Mach2, it shouldn't really matter. I would like to vet such an approach and concept with you all.  I want to nail down this astronomy on a whim concept. Can we run to the backyard on a whim and do imaging on a clear night? Can we drive to the wildness/dark site on a whim to do imaging? What would it take? What would it take to be ready.

Expeditionists, off-roaders, overlanders, safari-ers, wilderness enthusiasts go to great lengths to think through their expeditions and prepare to the n'th degree. We need to do the same. I would like your feedback & participation and thoughtful ideas.

Initially I would like to take a small example (SkyGuider) and then extrapolate it to the medium size mounts (e.g., Mach2). I would like to break it down to manageable/portable components, think through the accessories, and what not.

Power is a big issue in the remote/mobile setups. Later on I would like to tackle power; but would like to start with the basics.

Here a stab at such an approach. Will explain the following picture next and what it entails. More components of the same setup in coming posts to paint the full picture. Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05348.JPG

Edited by star drop, 30 July 2020 - 09:05 PM.

#434 star drop

star drop

The Cardinal

• Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:15 PM

Disrespectful and off topic comments have been removed.

#435 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:29 PM

A full-cycle test of the un-guided setup...

Note: 1.5 min unguided subs, ISO2000, a7S-C/SkyGuider/PoleMaster/SpaceCat/D2/WOBase/RRS/Feisol; stacked/processed in ImagesPlus/PixInsight/Photoshop, the recombinant processing...

High resolution...

post-205769-0-85691400-1595563802_thumb.

Attached Thumbnails

• Andromeda.jpg

Edited by mmalik, 07 August 2020 - 08:04 AM.

#436 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:09 AM

Think of it as 'expeditionary astronomy', or think of it as 'mobile/portable setup', or thinks of it as 'agile imaging' goals are the pretty much same.

So I am approaching it from two fronts...

1. Compact, portable, (somewhat) economical, light weight system (e.g., SkyGuider Pro)

2. Medium format, (somewhat portable) system (e.g., Mach 2)

As far #1 goes, goal has been achieved for the most part; more details to follow. As for #2, testing of such a system will be the second phase of this effort and when Mach 2 becomes widely available.

While the original goal of (#1) a compact/portable/light weight system was cost containment, I doubt that the problem can be solved that easily when all the desired components are added....

Add the camera and numbers go higher. While $ tag for such a compact (imaging) system may be high for most, my hope is there would be ways to get around the $ problem, starting with, e.g., new/used 7S that may become available as market floods with new/pricey 7SIII.

Getting rid of guiding was a major goal, and 'has' been achieved. Having highly sensitive systems like 'S' will further lower the guiding burden since very long exposures wouldn't be needed to being with.

I'll expand upon #1 (compact setup) in coming posts. Regards

Note: I have done some work on visual side on #1 (compact/portable setup), and will share more details soon.

Astronomy is a wilderness sport; it is an expedition. I would like to coin the term 'expeditionary astronomy' if it doesn't exist. I would like to approach astronomy from an expeditionary standpoint. Going out to a dark site is nothing less than an expedition; taming the wilderness and the night is an expedition. Surviving the night in no man's land is an expedition. Going even to the backyard is an extension of such an expedition. Note: Remote astronomy is not a focus at this point; so hold those thoughts, we'll cover that sometime soon.

Where I am heading with this... I would like to rethink portability. I would like to re-think astronomical mobility. It doesn't have to be a compact/portable setup to qualify for that. I want to re-think portability of medium size mounts (e.g., Mach2) to the wilderness or to the backyard on frequent basis. I would like to think in terms of mobile observatory, metaphorically speaking. I would like to think agile astronomy.

Edited by mmalik, 18 August 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#437 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

I would like each of the scenarios above (especially #1, but would like the same for #2) to be self-contained.

Self-contained because it doesn't/shouldn't require or depend upon anything that it doesn't have to begin with. In other words, you should be able to set this up anywhere at moment's notice and NOT require anything else from the location. For example, you shouldn't need to have (or go to) a site that has plug-in power, etc.

This setup may start to look like a small observatory but that's NOT the intended goal; goal is easy mobility, easy setup, easy tear down, and something that's totally self-reliant. Remote controlling such a setup is also NOT in scope. Intended location could be the backyard or many miles away; and it simply shouldn't matter.

Such a setup is NOT limited to the following, but at least would have following components. Your feedback welcome if I may have missed something.

Note: Following demarcation is NOT functional, rather the major components it could be broken down to for portability. For example, Camera is part of the Scope component for portability.

1. Scope component

2. Mount component

3. Accessories component

4. Power component

5. Placement/Seating component

6. Carry/Haul component

7. Comfort/Protection/Weather component

I'll try to define each of these components next. Your insights welcome! Regards

Note: What's driving me to write this... I have used observatories organized to the n'th degree, and I have seen clumsy astronomers in the field tripping over wires, missing this or that component when needed, doping things onto the ground in the dark of night, etc. This is an effort to bring portability and organization to the former and the latter, respectively, in someway compact/self-contained, yet agile way.

#438 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

1. Scope Component

Following is the (compact) scope component that has been tested and walked through its paces. It can be somewhat affordable for most if not heavily accessorized.

1. Scope: SpaceCat (or RedCat)

2. Filter 48mm (mounted inside): IDAS D2...

3. Camera: a7S-C shown; a7SIII recommended pending AP testing...

4. E-mount 48mm: WO

5. Heating Strap: Orion Dew Zapper strap shown; other/better options may be available...

6. Intervalometer: One for 'Alpha' shown; other/better options may be available...

7. Finder Sight: WO (...better than entry level ones)

8. Green Laser: (Optional) [Since mount component is NON go-to, this can help compliment finder sight]

9. IMPORTANT: Handle bar is indispensable; no use having the scope component without it! This is what makes it grab and go. Whole setup is easily carry-able as shown.

10. Using Bahtinov mask provided with the scope is NOT recommend; a7S or a7SIII are best at achieving focus via LCD zoom and focusing on very very dim stars as they go (disappear) in and out focus. Do NOT focus on stars that don't disappear with minor focus change. Focus shift is minimal on this setup once acclimated.

11. Setup does 'not' require filed-flattener/reducer or any other piece not shown

12. Lastly, what's shown is complete, self-contained and mounts as a UNIT

13. Imaging performance of the system...

Note: NOT guiding is a core principle of agile imaging; this particular setup is capable of well over 3 min... of unguided exposures (mount details next). Guiding complicates an agile imaging setup and should 'not' be attempted unless absolutely necessary.

Here a stab at such an approach. Will explain the following picture next and what it entails. More components of the same setup in coming posts to paint the full picture. Regards

post-205769-0-41373800-1596058850_thumb.

Edited by mmalik, 18 August 2020 - 12:34 PM.

#439 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:38 PM

2. Mount Component

Mount component is ONE unit and includes 2 weights and is east to carry with no scope component attached. Carbon fiber tripod is light weight. Entire unit is really easy to carry/port and becomes quite compact with legs retracted. It consists of the following:

1. SkyGuider Pro/2 weights/flipped DEC bracket

2. Fiber Tripod with hook (hook not shown): Feisol CT-3442

3. Base Mount/Extension Bar: WO

4. RRS for RA axis optimization

5. PoleMaster

6. Polar Scope (default) is attached but NON-functional

Note: PoleMaster can be removed in order to use polar scope for aligning but is NOT recommenced

IMPORTANT: Flip the DEC bracket for stability/balancing. Original extension bar can be used if more weight is needed to balance for example a small visual setup instead of imaging scope component shown above (visual details later). Using both Red and Original extension bars is NOT recommended since it (long moment arm) can degrade unguided performance!

Note: NEVER add third weight; and DO NOT use just one weight. 2 weighs with short Red OR longer original extension bar and flipped DEC is the agile imaging configuration that makes extended unguided performance possible. Original bar recommended for (upcoming) visual setup, since Red is quite light weight.

Note: Extending legs beyond TWO steps is NOT recommended to maintain tripod rigidity

post-205769-0-85691400-1595563802_thumb.

Edited by mmalik, 18 August 2020 - 12:40 PM.

#440 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

4. Power Component

Jumping ahead to power component since power itself can be an accessory; will circle back with accessories component after this.

I have high hopes of following working out in the filed; very pricey proposition at $1K. I simply want to get this power matter out of the way if I can. I don't want to run extension cords in the backyard or in the field. I would like a neat, self-contained imaging system in the backyard and/or in the field that could rival a well provisioned observatory (...in terms of power).

I would like this to sit under/by the mount and be all, one all solution to the power problem. I expect this to power 1) Compact setup (SkyGuider Pro) or 2) Medium setup (Mach2 in future) with all accessories for the whole night. What accessories? Will cover in coming posts. Your feedback welcome. Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05508.JPG
  • DSC05505.JPG
  • DSC05497.JPG

Edited by mmalik, 18 August 2020 - 07:47 PM.

#441 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

We night owls has much less to do with sun but it has 2 concurrent/parallel solar panel charging option as well.

DC Output is what's very attractive with its interface flavors:

1. 12V/10A (Car port)

2. 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A (USB-C)

3. 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A (USB-C)

4. 5V/2.4A (USB-A)

5. 12V/3A (USB-A Quick Charge 3.0)

Note: I need more information on #5 if someone can elaborate? Can it be used to power a 12V devices, other can for charging? Regards

Edited by mmalik, 18 August 2020 - 10:43 PM.

#442 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 03:38 AM

First impressions are that Explorer 1000 is a great product; here is what first load profile looked like. Regards

Attached Thumbnails

• LoadProfile1.jpg

Edited by mmalik, 19 August 2020 - 09:08 AM.

#443 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:50 AM

The concept of a compact travel rig is not new at all: Japanese firms have a quite long tradition of selling such devices and the Astrotrac is over 10 years old, as Losmandy Starlapse.
Due to very low energy drain those devices could use AAs or other alkaline cells even if, with modern ones running at 5v, emergency phone chargers are IME the best choice as are very small, light and last a very long time. And are way cheaper too!

I agree with you that unguided imaging offers a nice way to cut a bit of weight and encumbrance (I could not make the mgen to fit in the bag I use for my Polarie setup, even if I went much farther along the path of compactness) since at such permissive parameters guiding is not required, but think that the notion of guiding=greater complexity to be really and deeply misleading.
Probably it takes you more time to boot and use the polemaster than to have the mgen2 ready and working!

#444 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:04 AM

Due to very low energy drain those devices could use AAs or other alkaline cells...

I understand but with evolving AP use with all kinds of mounts, cooled cameras, and accessories, power is NOT that simple. Let me explain why the problem hadn't been solved yet...

Real life scenario...

With my compact setup (SpaceCat/SkyGuider Pro) I had basically two power needs at the moment, will be more in future since now I see the potential... (e.g., powering camera directly instead of carrying batteries, even re-charging camera batteries if needed, etc.)

1. A dew heater strap that serves SpaceCat; dew heater has Car plug-in so it plugs into DC

2. A cooler that serves a7S; ideally I would like cooler to draw directly from this power source but at the moment it uses a PSU, so it plugs into AC

Night before last I tried Stanley Professional Power Station... using the same two ports (DC Car port and AC plug-in); Stanley was 100% charged and it died in about 15 minutes to 0% as I plugged in the cooler via AC port. Stanley was running somewhat OK with the DC Car port 'only' plugged in. AC basically killed it instantly. I was quite surprised as well as disappointed.

Yesterday Explorer 1000 arrived and I charged it to 100 and gave it the same scenario. It was at about 85% after my almost full night's run which was about 4 hours. Explorer 1000 could last me many nights without charging with this scenario.

I know AC inverter is NOT an ideal way to go about using portable power. So, I am re-designing cooler so it can draw directly from 12V DC. This switch to DC will further reduce the load and increase power performance. In short, it can run many AP devices for the night, no problem, AC or DC. Running Mach 2 for example off of this should be simple and straightforward.

This is beyond what you may have experienced in a portable power. Gone are the days of deep cycle batteries, gone a the days of Celestron power tank, gone are the days of 'fill-in your power sources'. It is not too heavy to carry and looks elegant and built to last. It is very expensive; but if you can cut your other expenses a bit, it should be worth the investment.

I foresee the potential it has to pretty much run any mount, any camera and all the accessories in the field or backyard. Once you have this, you wouldn't want to plug in even if you had plug-in power right next you.

Lastly, say if you DO want to plug into a power source, this can then play the role of a master/central adapter where everything else plugs in. This becomes the central HUB in that scenario. If you are out in a sunny location for days on end, it can be charged with up to two solar panels at the same time (...most AP use will NOT need panels). If nothing else, it can be charged via a Car. All in all, highly recommended. I am surprised! Regards

Edited by mmalik, 19 August 2020 - 09:11 AM.

#445 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 19 August 2020 - 09:21 AM

Do you really need active cooling for 60" subs shocked.gif ?

Out of curiosity, how much it weighs your entire "system"? It seems to me that its "compactness" is quite relative and, at that level of "portability" a basic eq3 or even eq5 could have served you better, as does not sound anymore something you can backpack, but at best drag for a few hundred meters from your car

#446 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 11:15 AM

I know you have asked before but I don't have weighing setup to weigh, will do sometime. And you are correct, it is all relative. It may neither be compact nor light weight, but it is a smaller self-self contained system nonetheless (scope and mount I mean). It gets pricey as well once accessories are added, but it is a decent, well rounded imaging system and great for startups as well as experts.

It may not be a backpacking system per se, and definitely NOT when you add the power component. But it still fits the compact and portable criteria. Best use case scenarios I could describe for such a system are following:

1. Backyard

2. By-the-Car setup (however far and wherever you can drive up to)

3, Away-from-Car setup (Cabin, Campsite, Wilderness, Desert, Mountain, Astronomy sites, etc.)

4. Backpacking (Scope/Mount ONLY)

5, Air Travel (Scope/Mount ONLY)

6. Mobile observatory (A novel concept, will elaborate sometime...)

Open to everyone's suggestions/corrections...

Regards

Edited by mmalik, 19 August 2020 - 11:19 AM.

#447 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 19 August 2020 - 02:06 PM

In my opinion your setup is becoming less and less focused.

You started with a fairly typical tracker system (like those many of us employ by years) and then began to add weight and complexity at the expense of focus and efficiency.

As of now yours resemble more the very common "widefield AP setup", several variations of which can be seen at every star party, but at its core crippled by the fact that is based on a star tracker.

The concept of star tracker is to sacrifice almost everything to gain portability, but that sacrifice is worth only if the advantage of size and weight is retained in the whole setup. Otherwise there is no reasons to renounce to goto, or slow motion controls and extra stiffness of an Skywatcher eq3 mount, or Vixen AP, cem25, etc...

#448 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2020 - 04:37 PM

I have had CEM25...;  I paired it with AT65.... I built it to the n'th degree like this one but gave up on the whole setup, quite disappointed. The whole setup neither met quality criteria of refinement, nor it was as compact, light weight or portable. It didn't have all what I was looking for in a small system. It simply didn't make the cut.

I learned from that (not so pleasant) experience and built this one on similar lines. This is something I can say for the first time that has gotten my attention. This is something I use and like to use. I can say this one can be used by a total novice and by an expert.

Only caveat I see in this system is NO GOTO. Scope performs; there is little to NO focus shirt. Mount performs. Best of all, it can be broken down into Scope and Mount components and becomes quite portable and compact. It is many times light weight than the other I built. It has NO guiding requirement which cuts down on complexity.

Power component simply makes it even more utilitarian. Power for that matter can compliment any system!

It is rugged and self-contained. Sometimes, even little things like handle bar on scope can be rewarding than everything else. Regards

Edited by mmalik, 19 August 2020 - 07:38 PM.

#449 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

Never thought about could have happened had you paired a working sample of your old zeq25 (I agree that was a pretty agricultural device, but from there iOptron guys worked hard and the cem25 at least now looks much more "professional"lol.gif ) with a device like the RedCat?

What solved most of your problems is the very permissive sample allowed by the RedCat, not having moved from an entry-level small goto mount to an entry-level star tracker which, as an aggravation, required expensive upgrades (new wedge, new panning plate, pricey polemaster) to deliver even this modest level of performance.

Honestly, here we are at the very bottom of deep sky imaging as far as complexity/difficulty* is regarded (the next step is untracked imaging) so guiding is not required in the first place; here lies the simplification, and implementing the guide would be indeed an useless complication, just as drift aligning, etc...(by the way, in my opinion the polemaster itself is a bit too "overkill" in such case).

Shot at 600 or 800mm, etc... and now the autoguide turns into a very welcome help and simplification (and an excellent way to keep costs down).

Of course widefield imaging is very interesting as its objects are for the most beyond the possibility of visual telescopes due to colossal sizes and often extremely low surface brightness, and the chance to get easily pleasant results is for sure a strong magnet for beginners or "casual" imagers.

This is a likely reason why at star parties there are always so many trackers with fast lenses or very small telescopes.

*obviously only as far as getting good-looking stars is concerned

#450 mmalik

mmalik

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

Occasionally us imagers have a need to do some visual observing, or just show it to kids for 'wows' (since imaging doesn't appeal 'em much nor they are up that late at night when we are) and I have asked the question.... Never got the correct answer I was looking for but have stumbled upon a scenario that I find quite intriguing...

So you have SkyGuider Pro, why not use IT for visual as well? It is quite easily and manually maneuverable; why not use it for occasional 'visual-ing' as well? It has a decent clutch on DEC; add RRS and now you have a decent clutch on RA as well. This can be the 'best' and easily maneuverable mount by a long shot!

So here it goes...

Start with the following (M5); I was thinking of 6" originally but that's heavy for SkyGuider Pro.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05383.JPG
  • DSC05392.JPG

Edited by mmalik, 20 August 2020 - 10:21 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics