•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY Polemaster VS Ioptron Ipolar?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheDoctorIsIn

TheDoctorIsIn

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

Hi folks, any opinions regarding the differences between these two electronic polar scopes? I have an Ipolar installed in my Skyguider Pro and it's honestly hit or miss sometimes. I'm planning on getting an Ioptron IEQ30 Pro at some point in the future and wanted to get an EPS to mount in it right away and just wondering if anyone has had experiences with both or either of these little scopes. Thanks!

#2 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas, USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

I have always had excellent polar alignment with the Polemaster whether fitted with an adapter on a mount or simply placed on top of the scope on the upper rail.. It is a proven product with several years of use. I have never used the Ipolar unit, so no help there.

Ed

#3 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Apollo

• Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

I have never used the Polemaster but the iPolar is great. You only need to calibrate it once (unless you remove and reinstall it) and after that you just boot it up and adjust your knobs until the crosshair is in the red dot.

If you go here, to the "support documents" tab, you can read the iPolar operation manual.

https://www.ioptron....duct-p/3339.htm

Edited by mewmartigan, 17 September 2019 - 12:05 PM.

#4 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

Been hearing reports about problems with the PoleMaster driver and newer Windows versions...I don't have one, but they seem to be more frequent now than in the recent past.  QHY regularly has issues with their drivers, it's a shame because their hardware is quite good.

Just out of curiosity...what's "hit or miss" about the iPolar you currently have?  That was a bit vague...:)

#5 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

I've been using PoleMaster on my C11" for about 3 years with Windows 10 and a Mac.  I prefer the Mac view as the PM seems to operate more smoothly to me and gives a bit of a clearer image but the resulting PA is excellent with either platform.  

#6 ssa2294

ssa2294

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

With the Ioptron IEQ30 are you planning to do guiding as well with PHD? In that case I might recommend to consider avoiding both iPolar & Polemaster and instead try out Sharpcap. At very least after you get a guide scope and cam give Sharpcap a try using the trial period before deciding. I had the same advice given to me before I bought a mount, scope, etc. and it was one decision I have been very pleased with. 

#7 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

I still have PoleMaster on my HEQ5 mount....great kit. But I have since acquired an iOptron CEM40 mount (non EC) with built-in iPolar. I thought PoleMaster was the ultimate. But iPolar takes less than a minute to set-up once 4 stars appear on your laptop screen. There is no rotation of the mount required, just a tweak of the alt/az bolts, RA & dec and your done. 

I tried to get the PoleMaster camera to be less sensitive to twilight but couldn't do it. It has to be close to dark before I can start my polar alignment.

The camera on the iPolar will get me going about 1/2 hour earlier than the PoleMaster. That gives me 1/2 hour or more imaging time!

I thought polar alignment couldn't be better having the PoleMaster, but iPolar is sooo much quicker and easier.

PS: I might be corrected on this but I have heard that PoleMaster was a hand-me down from iOptron and QHY took it over after iOptron came out with their new iPolar.

Edited by RandallK, 18 September 2019 - 01:16 PM.

• psandelle and aneeg like this

#8 AnakChan

AnakChan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oz

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:46 AM

Looking at AstroBackyard videos the iPolar does seem much easier to polar align, however that got me thinking that it's primarily the software rather than just the actual hardware itself.

Theoretically speaking, QHY could rewrite their software to have a similar workflow to iPolar too, no?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics