•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moonlit Nights

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

When the moon is up, can I still do planetary imaging? Do I need to use some kind of moon filter. I've been a long exposure DSO imager now for 9 years and I'm thinking of what things I can do on nights when the moon is out other than narrow band. Is there a good book to read on planetary imaging?

Rgrds-Ross

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Gemini

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:52 AM

You do not need any kind of Moon filter, but. given how low are Jupiter and Saturn, it would be a nice idea to shot them LRGB anyway.

Especially for Jupiter I find really helpful an IR-pass because can take pictures of the fuzzy gas ball even when it is very low or amidst bad seeing.

Or can put the 12.5" at work for a nice Moon mosaic, and solve for a while the Moonlit night issuelol.gif

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:00 AM

When the moon is up, can I still do planetary imaging? Do I need to use some kind of moon filter. I've been a long exposure DSO imager now for 9 years and I'm thinking of what things I can do on nights when the moon is out other than narrow band. Is there a good book to read on planetary imaging?

Rgrds-Ross

On the contrary, you can image the planets under a streetlight, or in daylight as some people have. The other evening I imaged Jupiter at sundown when it was still bright. It came out pretty well. So no, you don't need a Moon filter. Planetary targets are so much brighter than DSOs anyway that the effect of moonlight is neglible if not zero.

• RedLionNJ likes this

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

Depends what specific targets.

Uranus and Neptune need darker skies, else the contrast just isn't there. An IR610 filter helps a bit, too.

Jupiter and Saturn are totally unaffected by moonlight, unless the moon is extremely close (within 5 degrees, say).

Get out there and enjoy the experience!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics