•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hydrogen Alpha filters for NV

NV
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:59 PM

Gavster,

Do you remember if they acted exactly the same as well? Again, my setup maybe a bit different which may explain things. My light pollution is less than yours in London. But, I still think it should have worked better than it is.

#27 slavicek

slavicek

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

Hah...yeah. ive already thrown the not getting more stuff out the window. However, I sold some items. I'm guessing a lot of people who get into night vision make some drastic changes with their equipment. I may try the 6nm astronomik...the chroma 5nm seems a bit too much money. I think I will also get a 12nm to have some options.

I am sorry to say that (because of the cost to you lol.gif ) but the 5nm Chroma is my #1 filter for NV - it performs best. I have 3.5nm and 7nm Baaders and they are very likely as good as chromas but the 5nm might just be the ideal wavelength for my set up.

#28 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

I can imagine it's a good filter. The 8nm Chroma is really good so far. Though if the astrodon and the chroma are close in usage it appears my unit doesn't like them. I think it will be telling how the Astronomik 6nm performs.

#29 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2019 - 05:25 PM

Gavster,

Do you remember if they acted exactly the same as well? Again, my setup maybe a bit different which may explain things. My light pollution is less than yours in London. But, I still think it should have worked better than it is.

The views were very similar - maybe the chroma was slightly better but it was so close as to be virtually the same. 

Edited by Gavster, 11 October 2019 - 10:09 PM.

#30 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:52 PM

In-between testing the new 12nm and 6nm astronomik against my Chroma 8nm

All I can say so far is it's very subtle between all of them. And surprisingly I'm not sure I can make a decision on which one I like the most. I do believe the 8nm and 6nm are slightly better on detail. But between the two it's very close. Big difference was seen with the 5nm Astrodon I had and the Chroma 8nm...so maybe that filter was just a bit weird or passed a threshold?

Anyways. I'm going to do some more checking. I'm not saying the views were exactly the same...but it was very close.

I observed the Lagoon, Trifed, Swan, and Eagle. I'd say the eagle was the one that had the most difference in view, though subtle. I used the 6 inch F4 in three modes. F4, F2.8, and barlowed 2x.

Moving to the back deck and will look at the Cygnus region. And by the way, that's a lot of screwing stuff on and off! haha.

One big difference I observed was the mechanical parts of the filters. The Astronomiks are thin and are much better at screwing on and off. The Chroma didn't seem as nice in this category. 

#31 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

GO

Have you been able to try a filter wheel on scope? 
Several NV users have success — I use a 5 filter wheel (1.25” filters) and it has to rank as one of the best gadgets to use. 

#32 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

So I looked at the North American Nebula at F4, and in my opinion the Chroma was slightly the best. But the Astronomik 6nm was very close. The 12 was a bit dimmer, but not bad.

Also looked at the butterfly looking one (sorry, don't know that one by name). Again subtle but I think I prefer the Chroma.

So good stuff as in all of the filters are working well. 

I'd like to do some 1x comparisons as I suspect there could be some differences there.

#33 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:15 PM

GO

Have you been able to try a filter wheel on scope? 
Several NV users have success — I use a 5 filter wheel (1.25” filters) and it has to rank as one of the best gadgets to use. 

I do want to try one. I will say I'll have to measure because the Chroma filter is very tall in comparison. But hopefully it does fit. Or I need to choose a filter wheel that would match it.

Do they have 2 inch bottoms on them where I could use the .7 reducer? I wouldn't really want to lose that capability.

#34 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:31 AM

I can't help with filter thickness - maybe one of the others figured it out.

Standard 5 filter 1.25" Wheel - I have Gosky and Astromania brand:

First 2 photos show how it fits (used in SCT: f/10 8" Meade ACF) -- 0.7x FR and Blue Fireball adapter - its about 7mm or so thick

3rd & 4th photo: I have the BS8ED astrograph and scope comes with its own corrector / reducer and for the Mod 3 to focus I needed this very thin 3.5mm adapter from Astromania.

PVS7 never has focus issues and Mod3 almost always has focus issues.

Attached Thumbnails

• FW1.JPG
  • FW2.JPG
  • FW3.JPG
  • FW4.JPG

#35 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

Thanks  Mazerski....Never knew of that site and it was extremely affordable. I picked up the above...so we'll see how that goes.

#36 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:00 PM

Tonight was a little better night without the moonlight. 

My opinion is the 6 or the 8nm would be fine if it were my only filter. I'd give a slight nod to the 6nm in the 6 inch F4. However, at 1x I prefer the 8nm because it doesn't get as weird with a cutoff and it's similar for the view. But the 6nm does fine also.

I could tell the 6 and the 8 gave better detail on objects slightly over the 12nm. So I'd say it's worth going a bit past the 12nm for a light polluted situation. But I felt both the 6nm and the 8nm were very close in capability. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NV

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics