•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Imperfections in image train

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 1stan

1stan

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

Ok folks here's something that happened the other night while trying to get some images of Struves lost Nebula. I can only think that this was caused by some kind of glare into my hyperstar. Either imperfection in the glass itself or junk inside of it. This is the first time I've ever seen this before. I did some other imaging the same night and just saw a few usual dust motes etc. all my equipment was clean. Has anyone seen this type of thing before? This is not just dust motes, it looks like bugs and worms crawling around under a microscope lol. One other thing it might be is from the L-Pro filter.a.jpg

Edited by 1stan, 17 September 2019 - 11:45 AM.

#2 HockeyGuy

HockeyGuy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Vaughan, ON, Canada

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

This is most likely dust and short hairs on your sensor window. The window protecting the sensor is very close to the focal plane (the sensor itself) so these artifacts end up out of focus. If your L-Pro filter is dirty it would contribute to diminishing your system's throughput, but it is likely far enough away from the focal plane that it won't produce these out-of-focus spots. Dividing your light frames by an appropriate flat frame would remove these artifacts in your final image.

P.S. there is a lot of dust on your sensor, you should try using a bulb air blower to clean it before your next imaging run!

• jdupton likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics