•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarSense Manual Align Best Practices

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GSqwid

GSqwid

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

I recently acquired a used StarSense and the adapter to connect it to my CG5-GT.  Everything seems to work, but I'm interested on ways to improve.

I have two observing locations in the yard, both of which can see only about 60% of the sky.  Thus the position of the scope depends on what I want to see.  My understanding is the StarSense unit can hold only one set of user alignment points, so I will always need to do one of the two sites manually.  Is this correct?

Is there a general rule of thumb on how to select alignment points?  I've tried to pick them more or less equidistant around the visible sky areas and then add a calibration point or two close to where my focus is.  This seems to get everything within the field of view of a 25mm eyepiece on my C8.  That is OK, but my confidence is a bit lacking if hunting dim objects under bright skies!   Is there a better strategy to use or common operator errors I should be aware of?

I don't expect magic, and feel that I'm getting "OK" performance, but if I can get it to do better it would be great!  Thanks for your thoughts!

Edited by GSqwid, 17 September 2019 - 01:14 PM.

#2 ishorx

ishorx

Vostok 1

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

is there there not a last alignment feature in menu?...that allows for several saved alignments

#3 deansjc

deansjc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

I was just reading this chain that answers quite fully what you are asking:

NexStar "Calibrate GoTo" - is this option available in StarSense hand controller?
Started by Jason_Lyman, Feb 08 2017 02:14 PM

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics