•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Field Flattener / Focal Reducer question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gcsexton

gcsexton

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

Hi folks! I could you some insight, thoughts, suggestions, guidance. 

I have an ES 127 ED FCD100 and so far, I'm really enjoying it and am in the process of building up my knowledge/tech to do DSLR AP. I know that with a refractor I need at least a field flattener to deal with any of the wonkiness of stars around the edges of the image. However, I'm curious if I should also invest in a flattener/focal reducer combo? I've read a lot a but what a focal reducer does, which makes sense, but I haven't really read much about the value that it brings. I'd love to hear from folks experiences that use a flattener/reducer. What does it do for you that a you couldn't do otherwise? Does it help improve image quality at all? Does it make it easier to cut out some exposure time? 

ES has a big sale going on, till the end of the month and I have thought about getting this one, but maybe just the flattener is all that I really need? I was looking at it because it's on sale and also because ES is going up on their prices across the board starting 10/1 and the new cost will be $450 USD. Is this one worth it? Are there other models/brads that would also work with my 127 ED? I reallllly don't want to spend more than $350 as my set budget if possible.

Any guidance or help is always great. Thanks in advance!

#2 rkinnett

rkinnett

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

Use astronomy-tools FOV calculator to see how your expanded FOV projects onto various targets you are specifically interested in imaging. 

Example:

m42_es127.jpg

You can also use telescopius.com, Stellarium, or other planetarium software to do the same.

Or search astrobin for "es127" and see what other people are coming up with, with and without reducers.

Search this forum for suggestions regarding specific flatteners/reducers.  This thread may be useful to you, for example.

If you're on a budget, you can probably find a compatible good-enough reducer in the CN classifieds for $200 or less.

#3 rkinnett

rkinnett

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

Welcome to CN, by the way!

#4 gcsexton

gcsexton

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Ryan! Also thanks for the link and info too. waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics