•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vibration Control of Mount During EAA ?

accessories CMOS EAA equipment mount tripod
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

I imagine many EAA observes like to set their gear up on decks, conveniently outside their warm and bug-free homes.   I’m sure many folks have noticed how the object image on our screens jumps a bit if we move around in the vicinity of our scopes while focusing, installing dew caps, or just getting up to refill coffee cups while we’re stacking.   It’s unclear to me how much this degrades our images but I suspect it does to some degree. 

If if anyone has experienced this and addressed the issue, I’d be very interested in learning from you:

1. How or if, this vibration effects image capture while stacking?

2. What measures, other than moving the scopes to a more solid location, can be taken to manage vibration and what specific products, if any, work best to reduce vibration?

I’ve attached an image of my situation. Thank you for any comments or suggestions.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails

• B778A6EA-924E-4A07-A908-88AF338784BB.jpeg

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Vibration suppression pads help. Or you can do a semi-permanent fix by supporting the area of the deck the mount sits on as in installing some kind of concrete or cinder-block tower that directly sits under and slightly pushs on the area below the mount. Pushing up on it isolates that area from being affected by people moving around on other parts of the same boards. Not quite as good as putting it on an isolated pier but pretty close.

• xiando likes this

#3 sparky103

sparky103

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

try some wieght on tripod acessory tray, a big rock works great for me

#4 saguaro

saguaro

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

You might consider going remote so you can be off your deck when doing live stacking.

#5 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

Vibration suppression pads help. Or you can do a semi-permanent fix by supporting the area of the deck the mount sits on as in installing some kind of concrete or cinder-block tower that directly sits under and slightly pushs on the area below the mount. Pushing up on it isolates that area from being affected by people moving around on other parts of the same boards. Not quite as good as putting it on an isolated pier but pretty close.

Hi Photoracer

I guess the first question for me is whether limited amounts of vibration are even a problem for EAA image capture or just viewing the object via Sharpcap or other software. Do you notice that vibration impacts of vibration on your image? Retrofitting a deck structure would be problematic for most situations. Bringing a masonry pier from grade up through the deck would make a difference as long as the pier was isolated from the deck surface the you walk on. You mentioned suppression pads. Are some better than others? Thank you for your input. 

Gary

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, CMOS, EAA, equipment, mount, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics