•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Absolute Best of the Best in Binoculars

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#76 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

Boys, please behave. When in doubt as to what to say, respond with kindness, understanding, and patience/tolerance or both of you can go to the time-out corner.

BTW, here's a great Canon IS review from Gary Seronik:

https://garyseronik....zed-binoculars/

Yes.....

Edited by agmoonsolns, 02 October 2019 - 10:03 PM.

#77 GabrielKnight

GabrielKnight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:02 PM

Yarddog,

The Nikon WX 7x50 IF and WX 10x50 IF aren't in the same league as the alpha European offerings, namely Swarovski, Carl Zeiss and Leica. Yes, the latter mentioned makes are veritable dragons in the field of optics ... but the Nikon WX is the crazy one of a Dark Knight who thought it fitting to bludgeon all three whilst they slept.

Repeatedly I might add.

They're very much in a class of their own with a FOV of 10.7 and 9.0 degrees respectively - an achievement once thought impossible by a multitude of optical engineers.

It's a glass designed without compromise and encapsulating technology at the very precipice of Nikon's design, engineering and manufacturing capabilities.

I genuinely wish otherwise, but they have no competitors. Not now. Presumably not for a long time to come.

G.K.

• Mad Matt and agmoonsolns like this

#78 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:04 PM

Has anyone else compared the Fujinon image stabilized binoculars with the Canon IS?

#79 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

Has anyone else compared the Fujinon image stabilized binoculars with the Canon IS?

Yes, I have.

I have compared the Fujinon 14x40 Techno-Stabi to the Canon 10x42L, the Canon 15x50, and the Canon 18x50. What I have chosen to keep and do use regularly, are the Canon 10x42L and the Canon 15x50. The reasons for me come down to just a few noteworthy items, which I will list in order of importance...

1. For Astronomy, the Canon 15x50 and 10x42L are both significantly brighter than the Fujinon 14x40. The brighter the image, the nicer the view. Simple as that.

2. For Astronomy, the Canon IS is good enough. The Fujinon clearly has the superior IS system, and if I was observing from a boat or moving vehicle, the Fujinon would get the nod.

3. All three Canon IS models offer wider AFOV's with flatter fields when compared to the Fujinon Techno-Stabi. The Canon models simply provide me the better views. 

That's pretty much what it all comes down to for me.

Edited by SMark, 03 October 2019 - 11:15 AM.

• hallelujah, Pinac, CAAD9 and 1 other like this

#80 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:22 AM

Who wants a red card.

Come back to the original topic.

Good discussion. Please keep it up..

Thank you all

#81 Grimnir

Grimnir

Viking 1

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 03:11 AM

Yes.....

I am of the reverse opinion.

Graham

• hallelujah likes this

#82 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:13 AM

Like Jawaid, I would appreciate on topic discussion here.

#83 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

I have compared the Fujinon 14x40 Techno-Stabi to the Canon 10x42L, the Canon 15x50, and the Canon 18x50. What I have chosen to keep and do use regularly, are the Canon 10x42L and the Canon 15x50. The reasons for me come down to just a few noteworthy items, which I will list in order of importance...

1. For Astronomy, the Canon 15x50 and 10x42L are both significantly brighter than the Fujinon 14x40. The brighter the image, the nicer the view. Simple as that.

2. For Astronomy, the Canon IS is good enough. The Fujinon clearly has the superior IS system, and if I was observing from a boat or moving vehicle, the Fujinon would get the nod.

3. All three Canon IS models offer wider AFOV's with flatter fields when compared to the Fujinon Techno-Stabi. The Canon models simply provide me the better views. 

That's pretty much what it all comes down to for me.

Mark,

Didn't you do a previous comparison of Canon, Fujinon, & Nikon IS binoculars?

If so, perhaps you could provide the link.

Thanks,

Stan

#84 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:52 AM

I have only compared the new Fujinon Techno-Stabi 12x28 to the Canon IS (I don‘t have 15x or 18x, only 10x / 12x / 14x), and it‘s „like day and night“ (hmm, this idiom may not work here frown.gif ). What I mean is that while the IS works pretty well in the Fujinon, the Canons are optically miles above the Fuji.

Or even more bluntly: the 12x28 from Fuji is in my view not really usable for astro, not even on the moon (very modest  sharpness AND much color).

Pinac

• agmoonsolns likes this

#85 SMark

SMark

Skylab

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:58 AM

Mark,

Didn't you do a previous comparison of Canon, Fujinon, & Nikon IS binoculars?

If so, perhaps you could provide the link.

Thanks,

Stan

I could, but that would lead the discussion into the subject of "IS Artifacts" which no one seems to be talking about these days. So I don't know if it's even a relevant topic anymore. Can we assume that Canon has fixed the problem?

I did many comparisons of these IS binoculars, and I shared all of them with the forum. After all, I've owned many samples of them. Just guess what I found out after comparing the performance of all these IS binocular samples? The larger Canon IS binoculars showed a high degree of Sample Variance with regard to image quality. Some of the samples would exhibit an occasional fuzziness that typically lasted only a second or less. But that even varied among the samples. This is what eventually became known as "IS Artifacts" and it became the subject of many threads in this forum. This eventually lead to a great discussion among a few of us here, that then lead to the recommendation on how to correct this issue, which was simply to store the binocular in a horizontal position, rather than a vertical position. I found that doing so improved performance in 100% of the cases, and eliminated the problem entirely in all but one 18x50 sample. 

I now own a newer model 15x50 and it has always been free of IS Artifacts. Because the topic hasn't even been brought up since perhaps two years ago, I'm beginning to think that Canon has taken care of it. I doubt that everyone is following our original advise. If you care to read about my adventure into sample variance, which by the way is a highly relevant topic, even among the alpha brands, then read on in the link below...

I'll start you with a post that I made two years ago, then just follow the link I provide at the end of my post...

https://www.cloudyni...h-it/?p=8150918

Edited by SMark, 03 October 2019 - 11:10 AM.

• hallelujah, CAAD9 and agmoonsolns like this

#86 SMark

SMark

Skylab

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:20 AM

And if you are still wanting to read more about IS binoculars after all this...

https://www.cloudyni...inos/?p=7985420 

• mooreorless and agmoonsolns like this

#87 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Mark, that surely should help anyone interested. waytogo.gif

Stan

Edited by hallelujah, 03 October 2019 - 02:55 PM.

• mooreorless and SMark like this

#88 Bill david

Bill david

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 October 2019 - 09:23 PM

There is someone on this discussion named Pinac that has said in shorter words than I could: There is no perfect Binocular as laws of physics predominant. 

Spent years looking through Zeiss, Swaroskis, Canon, blag, blag, blag!

There is no perfect Binocular. Many factors come into play that Pinac has mentioned (and more that has not been mentioned).

There is another law: you get what you pay for!!

IS only means you do not need a tripod for higher powers and I have a pair used for nature watching, but for night skies a quality tripod and your best binoculars are rewarding.

Yes, understand bad angles (Zenith. etc), but just lay down on a cheap blanket and enjoy the heavens. 

Bill

• garret, ianatcn, Pinac and 3 others like this

#89 Bratman2

Bratman2

Mariner 2

• Loc: NC, US

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:25 AM

I would also vote for the Nobilem class Docter binoculars. The very best I have ever looked through to me was an Octarem 8x50. That was many years ago and my eyes have surely changed. I sadly sold it for some stupid reason. My current favorites are the 10x50 rubber armored which is the last new pair I have purchased. And the 8x56 which has been mentioned before, I have an older nonarmored pair. Also a close runner up would be a Carl Zeiss Jena Dodecarem 12x50. I knocked it down some because it is harder to hold the higher power steady now and it doesn't have the latest multi coatings that Docter updated. I have the Nikon SE 10x42 and it is very good but the larger aperture of the Docters wins.

Edited by Bratman2, 20 October 2019 - 08:31 AM.

• Corcaroli78, ianatcn and j.gardavsky like this

#90 Gumball

Gumball

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Oswego, Oregon

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

There is no such thing as "the perfect binocular" . . . . but, having said that, here is my list:

- Zeiss 10x56 "Night Owl"   - slightly heavy, but superb low light capability, and excellent stray light control, relatively waterproof

- Zeiss Dialyt 8X56 B/GA T*   - lighter in weight, superb optics, comfortable to hold and carry

- Fujinon 10x50 FMTR SX  - light weight, comfortable to hold and carry,  superb low light, waterproof

If you would consider a "vintage" binocular, my favorites (that compare favorably to "modern" glasses)

- Zeiss blc 8x60 "Tall boy" Captain's glasses -  heavy, field of view is exceptional, low light performance very good

- Leitz beh 10x50 "wide angle" - light, comfortable to hold and carry, very good low light performance, excellent field of view

Just my $.02 . . . . 

Edited by Gumball, 22 October 2019 - 02:15 PM.

• Corcaroli78, ianatcn and j.gardavsky like this

#91 mtminnesota

mtminnesota

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mahtomedi, Minnesota

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

...Zeiss' consumer optics are made in Japan too...

Attached Thumbnails

• post-91600-0-86822500-1568939967_thumb.jpg

• Swedpat, hallelujah, Illinois and 3 others like this

#92 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:58 PM

Ohhh, i really like those violet multicoated lenses... very Zeiss style (just look at my avatar) smile.gif

and i agree with the Docter Nobilem opinions, probably the best vintage porros ever....  bow.gif  and I regret not buying an Octarem for 120 usd here in Denmark.....

Carlos

• hallelujah and j.gardavsky like this

#93 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

Ohhh, i really like those violet multicoated lenses... very Zeiss style (just look at my avatar)

Carlos

Here you have it. Enjoy. smile.gif

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss Multicoating_.jpg

Edited by semej, 24 October 2019 - 01:55 AM.

• Swedpat, Illinois, Corcaroli78 and 1 other like this

#94 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:04 PM

smile.gif

Zeiss Victory 8x25

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss Multicoating_1.jpg

Edited by semej, 23 October 2019 - 07:25 PM.

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#95 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:05 PM

smile.gif

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42,

Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss Multicoating_2.jpg

Edited by semej, 23 October 2019 - 07:27 PM.

• Corcaroli78, mtminnesota and j.gardavsky like this

#96 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

smile.gif

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss Multicoating_3_.jpg

Edited by semej, 23 October 2019 - 07:28 PM.

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#97 Swedpat

Swedpat

Apollo

• Loc: Boden, Sweden, Scandinavia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:04 AM

Ohhh, i really like those violet multicoated lenses... very Zeiss style (just look at my avatar) smile.gif

and i agree with the Docter Nobilem opinions, probably the best vintage porros ever....  bow.gif  and I regret not buying an Octarem for 120 usd here in Denmark.....

Carlos

I just thought the same! The color of the coating is beautiful!

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#98 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:19 AM

noisejammer, on 18 Sept 2019 - 05:46 AM, said:

...Zeiss' consumer optics are made in Japan too...

Well, as far as i know, the Victory line is made in Germany, the Conquest line is made in Hungary and the Terra line is made in China, and according to Zeiss operate under Zeiss requirements that i think are more strict for the top tier products. 

BTW: Some of the Leica binoculars are made in Portugal.

Carlos

• mtminnesota and j.gardavsky like this

#99 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

BTW: Some of the Leica binoculars are made in Portugal.

Carlos

According to a recent email I got from the Swiss Leica Service Center, to whom I had sent my Ultravid HD 7x42 for service and who sent it onto Leica Portugal, „all Leica sports optics are being produced and serviced in Portugal since some time“.

I had thought that Ultravids, Geovids and Duovids were produced in Germany (that‘s what the label on the box says), and Trinovids were made in Portugal (that‘s what their label says). But all of that may not be true any more.shocked.gif confused1.gif

Edited by Pinac, 24 October 2019 - 01:12 PM.

• hallelujah, Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#100 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

According to a recent email I got from the Swiss Leica Service Center, to whom I had sent my Ultravid HD 7x42 for service and who sent it onto Leica Portugal, „all Leica sports optics are being produced and serviced in Portugal since some time“.

I had thought that Ultravids, Geovids and Duovids were produced in Germany (that‘s what the label on the box says), and Trinovids were made in Portugal (that‘s what their label says). But all of that may not be true any more.shocked.gif confused1.gif

Thanks for the Leica clarification Pinac, interesting, but foreseeable... content & country of origin rules have changed in the last years even in Germany....

BTW, close to where i live there is a huge Leica factory, but i think is for geosystems... would be nice if it were for binos..smile.gif

Another good performer that is not always under discussion is Meopta, I have read positive reviews of the Meostar series, are they still made in Czech Republic? 

Carlos

• hallelujah likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics