•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Absolute Best of the Best in Binoculars

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#101 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:09 PM

Another good performer that is not always under discussion is Meopta, I have read positive reviews of the Meostar series, are they still made in Czech Republic? 

Carlos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meopta

Stan

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#102 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

..... the Meostar series, are they still made in Czech Republic? 

Carlos

Yes, that‘s my understanding (I don‘t know whether they have also outsourced the manufacturing of certain specific parts).

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#103 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:52 AM

According to a recent email I got from the Swiss Leica Service Center, to whom I had sent my Ultravid HD 7x42 for service and who sent it onto Leica Portugal, „all Leica sports optics are being produced and serviced in Portugal since some time“.

I had thought that Ultravids, Geovids and Duovids were produced in Germany (that‘s what the label on the box says), and Trinovids were made in Portugal (that‘s what their label says). But all of that may not be true any more.shocked.gif confused1.gif

Leica has a few outsourced manufacturing plants, Portugal, Singapore, ...

My Leica Ultravid 7x42 has been Made in Germany by the Leica Camera company branch.

Some optics for the export outside Germany is manufactured abroad to keep the pricing competitive.

The service is in Germany.

Otherwise, it is like with the German cars, for less money you eventually get a VW manufactured in Bruxelles (Belgium) or Bratislava (Slovakia) in a good believe to drive something made in Germany.

JG

• Corcaroli78 and mtminnesota like this

#104 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:05 AM

smile.gif

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42,

Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56.

Thank you Samej for the excellent documentation of the multicoatings.

The multicoatings colors are the first differentiator easily recognized.

JG

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#105 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:13 AM

Yes, that‘s my understanding (I don‘t know whether they have also outsourced the manufacturing of certain specific parts).

Some of the optics manufacturing has been outsourced to the Czech Republic,

like Docter industrial optics, and possibly Meopta makes some parts for Zeiss.

The Meopta binoculars and spotting scopes are fairly good, maybe on some level between Minox and Zeiss, but a bit overprized. The birders have criticized the color rendition of the Meopta binoculars, but that's the birders, they are picky.

I have had a Meostar in my hands, not bad, but ...

JG

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#106 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:23 AM

smile.gif

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42,

Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56.

Many thanks semej,

You made my day with that beautiful palette of brown - violet coatings!!!  That color is very distinctive of Zeiss even since the Jena times. Other manufacturers do not show such a saturated color in their objectives.  I own two Zeiss DF 7x40: one with purple coatings from 1966 and another with blue coatings from 1972. The one with blue coatings is in better cosmetic condition but i refuse to sell the 66 model only because the purple coatings...  maybe i should exchange the objectives question.gif )

The most appealing coatings of my vintages are present in my Notarem 10x40B, exactly as those you display in your pictures. 

In a german forum, a member has several Dekarems 10x50´s from different periods of time (pre-war, post-war, single coated, multicoated) and the evolution is very interesting!

Carlos

• j.gardavsky likes this

#107 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:36 AM

Some of the optics manufacturing has been outsourced to the Czech Republic,

like Docter industrial optics, and possibly Meopta makes some parts for Zeiss.

The Meopta binoculars and spotting scopes are fairly good, maybe on some level between Minox and Zeiss, but a bit overprized. The birders have criticized the color rendition of the Meopta binoculars, but that's the birders, they are picky.

I have had a Meostar in my hands, not bad, but ...

JG

Hi JG,

You are totally right: Birders are the most demanding users in terms of optical quality and color fidelity. For them, the OP question is clear: Zeiss, Swarowski and Leica, sometimes allowing Nikon or Kowa to sit in one corner of the table.

I have built a deep interest in Zeiss not only because of consistent quality for more than one century, being the front runners in optical development, and while I own few of its vintages, I must admit that the Nikon HG series play in the same top league at a fraction of the price of Zeiss / Swaro / Leica.  The HG 8x42 has -in my opinion- the most appealing body and ergonomics among the top brands. 

Carlos 

• Paul Morow and j.gardavsky like this

#108 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:43 AM

Could someone please give me a better idea of what the T* and P* stand for other than they're the really good phase contrast coatings? 

I have to say I am so impressed by my older Zeiss binoculars with these coatings, just the most amazing contrast and light transmission.

Do other brands use similar phase contrast coatings?

I don't really understand the differences in the various coatings and would appreciate it so much if some of you experts could help to educate me.

#109 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:11 AM

Could someone please give me a better idea of what the T* and P* stand for other than they're the really good phase contrast coatings? 

In the Zeiss West products ,T* stands for transmission = Multicoatings, while P* stands for phase coatings (in roof binos), invented by Zeiss West in the early 80´s

Multicoatings were applied also in Zeiss Jena products after 1978 and the designation was T3M

In both cases, T3M or T*,  the light transmission was boosted from ca. 65-80% to around 90% depending on the model.

Phase coatings in roofs -in short- improve sharpness and contrast which is affected by the Schmidt -Pechan prism arrangement and polarization of the light beams. More details here: 

https://www.cloudyni...phase-coatings/

Phase correction may not be noticeable for some of us with untrained eyes, but if you compare bino views side by side, you can notice the improvement.

Carlos 

Edited by Corcaroli78, 25 October 2019 - 04:24 AM.

• paulsky and j.gardavsky like this

#110 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:27 AM

Not neccesarily the best, but of the beaten path

Hello all,

I just came across this old "Ruski", maybe Carlos has discussed on the forum,

https://www.ebay.de/...aMAAOSw64tbiUVZ

and what about this refurbished and cleaned 15x50 Zeiss,

https://www.ebay.de/...toAAOSwJ7RcLkkF

or this Hensoldt Zeiss from the Bundeswehr, which has never seen fighting, ha, ha,

https://www.ebay.de/...VEAAOSwtc9br5d0

Aurelia is the treasure trove for some exceptional binoculars, and her pricings are fair,

JG

Edited by j.gardavsky, 25 October 2019 - 10:27 AM.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#111 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Vostok 1

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

I'm going to add another vote to Carlos' mention of the Nikon HG.  I've had the 10x42 for nearly a year now and I continue to be impressed and pleased with it.  Optics, handling, eye relief, focuser are all great (IMHO flowerred.gif) , and it's provided great utility for me day and night.  It's not often cited in the top tier.

#112 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

The most appealing coatings of my vintages are present in my Notarem 10x40B, exactly as those you display in your pictures. 

In my small collection of three Zeiss-binoculars the most appealing coatings has the Zeiss SF 8x42. It is very saturated, especially on eyepieces.

You can see it on the picture below.

Those are eyepeces of the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 (on top) and Zeiss SF 8x42 .

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss Multicoating_5_.jpg

Edited by semej, 25 October 2019 - 12:06 PM.

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#113 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 11:55 AM

In my small collection of three Zeiss-binoculars the most appealing coatings has the Zeiss SF 8x42. It is very saturated, especially on eyepieces.

You can see is on the picture below.

Those are eyepeces of the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56 (on top) and Zeiss SF 8x42 .

I agree Semej!

The Zeiss SF lenses are looking like a glass filled with a fine Remy Martin XO Cognac,

JG

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#114 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

It seems that these expensive purple coatings are used only on the eyepieces of their higher priced fluorid-line binoculars.

In the picture below you see the eyepices of

Zeiss Victory 8x25,

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42,

Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56,

and only the eyepeces of the SF have this saturated purple.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss Multicoating_4.jpg

Edited by semej, 25 October 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#115 garret

garret

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

The best anti-reflection coating should be free of any color, and makes the glass virtual transparent, next the inside of the tubes should be coated with VantaBlack absorbing any stray light.

All the glass in the objective, prisms and eyepieces should be made of mono-crystal/ artificial grown crystal glass, like fluorite/ CaF2...

Many years ago I saw the Canon 200mm F1.8 in a display cabinet lens without lens covers, I was amazed how transparent the lens was. (despite 12 elements).

• Mark9473, EverlastingSky and Corcaroli78 like this

#116 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

I agree Semej!

The Zeiss SF lenses are looking like a glass filled with a fine Remy Martin XO Cognac,

JG

Indeed!

I also compared the coatings of the eyepeces of the last version of Swarovski EL 8,5x42 WB with those of the Zeiss SF 8x42, and they appear a little bit more reflective, about on the level of Zeiss Conquest HD.

Attached Thumbnails

• Zeiss vs Swar_.jpg

#117 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

The best anti-reflection coating should be free of any color...

Many years ago I saw the Canon 200mm F1.8 in a display cabinet lens without lens covers, I was amazed how transparent the lens was. (despite 12 elements).

Yes, but they should better be not of a white colorsmile.gif .

I agree, expensive coatings should apear of a rather subtle color intensity.

Sometimes it is difficult by taking a picture to reproduce the right intensity of the color of coatings, as they apear in reality. 

In my post #96 I got the picture of the coatings on the front lenses of the SF about the way they actually appear. 

Edited by semej, 25 October 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#118 949

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

My 1990's Zeiss 7 x 45 Night Owl also has the magenta-purplish coloured coatings as shown in the pictures.

This old binocular still performs as well as the newer ones in MY opinion , the differences in performance (if any) will probably only show up in stringent laboratory tests and will probably not be noticed by normal users.

Cheers.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#119 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:31 PM

Yes, but they should better be not of white colorsmile.gif .

I agree, expensive coatings should apear of a rather subtle color.

Sometimes it is difficult by taking a picture to reproduce the right intensity of the color of coatings, as they apear in reality. 

In my post #96 I got the picture of the coatings on the front lenses of the SF about the way they actually appear. 

We also need to consider that the Zeiss coatings include additional hydrophobic / scratch resistant treatments for the protection of the lenses. Lotutect  if i remember correctly.

And regarding the color of the coatings, it has been discussed in another thread that the time the lenses are exposed in the vacuum chamber and the amount of the coating material have a direct influence in the hue and color saturation.  What i do not remember -and please correct me if i am wrong-  is that some of the color we perceive in the coatings is in fact, the wavelengths that are rejected.   I will confirm it.

Very soon i need to change the prescription of my eyeglasses, the Zeiss lenses cost almost as much as a Zeiss binocular!! bigshock.gif

Carlos

• j.gardavsky likes this

#120 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:41 PM

It seems that these expensive purple coatings are used only on the eyepieces of their higher priced fluorid-line binoculars.

In the picture below you see the eyepices of

Zeiss Victory 8x25,

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42,

Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56,

and only the eyepeces of the SF have this saturated purple.

1986 T3M multicoatings in one of the only two porros produced in East Germany: the Notarem 10x40B, hated by many, loved by some of us. Magenta purple in the objectives,  brown-orange in the eyepieces.  The Notarem was probably the top binocular from Zeiss Jena before the arrival of the highly praised Nobilem series. (as JG mentioned)

Notarem_4.jpg   Notarem_3.jpg

Carlos

• semej and j.gardavsky like this

#121 semej

semej

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

What i do not remember -and please correct me if i am wrong- is that some of the color we perceive in the coatings is in fact, the wavelengths that are rejected.

Carlos

I think the same way. If the coating is of a purple color, then the green light is not reflected, but transmitted, which is good, since the eye is more sensitive to a green...

Edited by semej, 25 October 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#122 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

Carlos.

What's so special about this one?

https://www.ebay.com...JMAAOSwrklVaXPD

Stan

#123 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

Carlos.

What's so special about this one?

https://www.ebay.com...JMAAOSwrklVaXPD

Stan

Hi Stan,

I do not know much about military binoculars, but looking at the ad, certainly is a special purpose bino with the best specifications from Zeiss West (not Jena). You can find many Fero 12´s 16´s, Fero 18´s in the"basic configuration" like the 8x30, but a Hendsoldt Fero 19 10x50 with all these characteristics (as the laser protection and US mark) is not so common even in European market. Probably because that generation may be still in use. I would say is comparable to the Zeiss classic line with rubber armor (10x50 BGAT) and those can reach high prices due to collectors status (ca. 700 -1000 €) plus the fact that militaria articles have a dedicated niche (and price). 

A Fero 8x30 from a depot costs around 100 - 200 usd, a "normal" Fero 10x50 around 300-450 usd depending on the condition. Be aware that the FOV could be slightly narrower than the civilian models (e.g. ca. 7 deg for the civil version and 6-6,5 deg for the military in the 10x50´s)

This is a very good youtube channel showing binoculars. I really recommend it. Several Fero models are presented:

https://www.youtube....?v=jwLi-kjPx0E 

if you are interested in Hendsoldt binos here is a good place:

https://www.army-sto...iss Ferngläser"

I hope this helps you,

Carlos

• hallelujah likes this

#124 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:52 PM

I think this way also. If the coating is of a purple color, then it means the green light is not reflected, but transmitted, which is good, since the eye is more sensitive to green...

Could make sense as recent models in general try to provide a more neutral ("cold") view compared with the old classic "warm" view. Infamous Ruby coatings produce a either a green or blue image.

I am still finding the reference to my previous statement....

Carlos

#125 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Carlos. waytogo.gif

Stan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics