•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HEQ5 Screw on the Index Marker Ring of the Polar Scope... I'm screwed!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kimiwaffles

kimiwaffles

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

The screw on the index marker ring of my polar scope on my HEQ5 fell out, onto the ground in my backyard. I've looked everywhere for it but it's so tiny I haven't managed to find it. I'm dead in the water.

For those of you who have an HEQ5, can you let me know what type / size of screw I can get to replace it?

Thanks in advance. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Index Marker Ring.jpg

#2 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Messenger

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

If it has iron, you could try a magnet in search area.

#3 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

The screw is metric:  M3  x  16.   (3mm wide with a thread pitch of 16.)

The threaded bit is about 7mm long.  Overall length is about 12mm, but I doubt that's critical.

GOOD LUCK.

• kimiwaffles likes this

#4 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

I should also add that I'm quite impressed that you know how to & still use the polar scope. 

I'm about 2 years into this hobby.  I only ever used an app on my phone to determine the angle.  And then as soon as I could afford it, I bought an electronic version of the scope.

• kimiwaffles likes this

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

kimiwaffles,

You should be able to find a replacement at WW Grainger (www.Grainger.com) or McMaster-Carr, you don't have to try to get one from Orion or Sky Watcher.  I prefer Grainer because they'll ship to a local storefront for you to pick-up for free (otherwise both suppliers will charge you something like $10 for shipping).  Another place to look is Fastenal.  I am almost positive Grainger has stores in the Bay Area.  If you go to a website, do a search for "thumbscrew" rather than "set screw".  If you do a search for both, you'll see the difference.  You might have to call whoever you decide to buy from and see if they'll sell you just one (or three so you have spares), otherwise you might get stuck with a pack of ten or more.

Oh, and metric people do things backward compared to those of us who live in advanced countries (smile.gif ), so look for an M3 x 0.5 or M3 x 0.6 screw (M3 x 0.6 if ThatsMyCoffee is correct).  Imperial/ US customary threads are specified by how many threads per inch the fastener has, metric threads are specified by how many mm there are "between" threads.

• kimiwaffles likes this

#6 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:00 PM

Oh, and metric people do things backward compared to those of us who live in advanced countries (smile.gif ), so look for an M3 x 0.5 or M3 x 0.6 screw (M3 x 0.6 if ThatsMyCoffee is correct).  Imperial/ US customary threads are specified by how many threads per inch the fastener has, metric threads are specified by how many mm there are "between" threads.

I can confirm that there are a LOT more than 16 threads per inch on this screw.   Good call !

#7 macdonjh

macdonjh

Skylab

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

I can confirm that there are a LOT more than 16 threads per inch on this screw.   Good call !

Those metric people are weird.  One of these days, they'll see the error of their ways and come back to inches and ounces.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics