•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2" Filter Wheel vs 6-Slot slider - Opinions & Advice?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ssa2294

ssa2294

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:02 PM

This winter I am looking to add filters, and was trying to figure out how I get this into the imaging train. I also figured that a method of changing them out would be nice too. I am more inclined to go with Baaders UFC, however I did come across these two and would love to hear opinions or anyone to share experience with them

Astromania 2" Multiple 5-Position Filter Wheel for Telescope

Orion 05065 6-Slot 2-Inch Filter Slider

The Astromania one seems a little more appealing to me, but I want to consider all options. Anyone uses the Baader UFC for changing out 2" filters, I would appreciate your thoughts and opinion.

#2 RunningMan

RunningMan

Messenger

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:18 PM

A possible disadvantage of the filter slider could be a higher probability of dust, fingerprints, or other damage to the exposed filters. This presuming they aren’t otherwise covered.

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:17 AM

If you already have a computer of some sort at the mount for stuff like guiding, it might be worth getting a filter wheel that's electronically driven.  Useful for automation down the road, and it means that you can change filters without jiggling the entire telescope with your hands.

Even if not electronic, I agree that a covered wheel would be a significant advantage in keeping dew, dust, and fingerprints off the filters.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics