•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

aligning carlton optic adlerblick 7x50

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fery0000

Fery0000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:05 PM

Hello friends,

I accidentally  knocked my binocular (carlton optic adlerblick 7x50) down from a table.

It lost its alignment, and now I clearly see double stars. The left side shows round exit pupil but the right side has cat eye shape.

First, I wanted to try the prism screws. They were so jammed that I break the tip of my jewelers flat head screw drive but they didn't turn.

I took of the retaining ring of both objectives which allowed the one of the objective lens be turned around its axis but the other lens couldn't be turned.

When I turn the objective lens nothing happens to the alignment of the bino and I see double stars in more or less the same location no matter how I turn the lens.

My question is: Does they have eccentric rings for alignment? Anyone has a clue or suggestion?

#2 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:18 PM

I would try re-seating the prisms before making any other adjustments.  That would require opening them up which you may not feel comfortable doing.  An alternative would be to send them to Suddarth optical for repair and collimation.  That may not make financial sense, but may be worth it to you.

Good luck.  

• Rich V. and Fery0000 like this

#3 Stardust Dave

Stardust Dave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 39*N 122*.40' W

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:27 PM

Same happened to mine .  They are 25 years old.

When dropped , alignment was lost as the right objective tube striking the ground caused the metal end of casing where the barrel screws in to become slightly dented. 

I muscled the objective around until the images stack -holding bino's out from my body.

Could not figure out how to take apart bino's body to get to prisms so just forced it lol.gif

The bino's are nice but obsolete , sharp bright images - good eye relief  except very narrow apparent FOV .

I'd spend my money on a new pair before a repair.   Currently looking to upgrade 

Edited by Stardust Dave, 18 September 2019 - 09:19 PM.

• Fery0000 likes this

#4 Fery0000

Fery0000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:57 PM

I would try re-seating the prisms before making any other adjustments.  That would require opening them up which you may not feel comfortable doing.  An alternative would be to send them to Suddarth optical for repair and collimation.  That may not make financial sense, but may be worth it to you.

Good luck.  

If I understand correctly you're suggesting that the prisms were snapped out of place so need to be re-seated to their original position, right?

#5 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:23 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=BpHtruwBjCo

Stan

#6 Fery0000

Fery0000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:10 PM

Thank you for the video, it was helpful

#7 Fery0000

Fery0000

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

Problem solved:

I realized that the right objective barrel was a bit tilted to the side.

I just unscrew it from the prism housing, and screw it back in, and it took care of the misalignment.

Thanks everyone for their input :)

• SMark likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics