•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Experience with Focus Scientific? (Or telescope shipping in general?)

dob equipment
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frank.Z

Frank.Z

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

Hi everyone, I just ordered a 10” SW dob online from Focus Scientific, an Ottawa based telescope store and they seem like a really nice bunch.

However, due to the price and size of the scope they don’t offer refunds for it, so I’m just a little bit nervous. Additionally, the scope is currently out of stock, so they’re ordering one, after a down payment of ~20%.

Still, they seem really nice as they contacted me to tell me about shipping charges and the stock issues, and were really up-front and honest about it.

It’s just the no-return part that scares me a little, so I’m just wondering how often it is that scopes do get damaged through shipping (within Canada, so no international)?

And can anyone share their shipping experience with Focus Scientific please?

Many thanks!

#2 Joe in Gatineau

Joe in Gatineau

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Gatineau Canada

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

I've been dealing with them since the late 1980's and have never been disappointed. However, I live not too far away,  thereby I have no experience with the shipping aspect. Why don't you give either Tristan or Nathan another call & talk to them about your concerns? They are very approachable & both have been with Focus for years.

Joe in Gatineau

• Frank.Z likes this

#3 Joe in Gatineau

Joe in Gatineau

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

So Frank - what happened with your order?

• Frank.Z likes this

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

popcorn.gif

#5 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 02:29 AM

Are you saying that if you order a scope and you receive it damaged you can’t return it ? I mean if you want to return something just because you don’t like it is a different story but something damaged that is no fault of yours I mean come on now ! Am I reading this wrong ? I have dealt with them, they are straight shooters !

#6 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

I doubt the "no return" policy is in effect for damaged products. Most likely It's there to protect the Vendor from taking back items that were ordered by someone who either

changes their mind or finds it cheaper somewhere else.

• LDW47 likes this

#7 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:47 AM

I doubt the "no return" policy is in effect for damaged products. Most likely It's there to protect the Vendor from taking back items that were ordered by someone who either

changes their mind or finds it cheaper somewhere else.

Now you’re talkin’ !

#8 Frank.Z

Frank.Z

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:09 PM

So Frank - what happened with your order?

Thanks everyone for your help, I simply contacted the guys and they made clear to me shipping damage was certainly refundable, but now that has simply devolved into superfluous paranoia, as the scope arrived in perfect condition.

They sure are a nice bunch, will definitely shop there again.

#9 Joe in Gatineau

Joe in Gatineau

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:27 PM

#10 Joe in Gatineau

Joe in Gatineau

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

(Oops - hit “Post” too quickly.)

Glad it all worked out. Too bad about the next three weeks of cloudy skies your new acquisition will probably bring . . . (Just kidding, I hope)

Enjoy!

Joe

#11 The Ardent

The Ardent

Aurora

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

Did you invite your friends from the astronomy club over for first light viewing?

Thanks everyone for your help, I simply contacted the guys and they made clear to me shipping damage was certainly refundable, but now that has simply devolved into superfluous paranoia, as the scope arrived in perfect condition.

They sure are a nice bunch, will definitely shop there again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics