•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craftsmen recommendations for a shroud

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orion arm

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:45 AM

I need to know some builder who is dedicated to making customized shrouds for my scope, if possible in Europe to avoid customs, although I do not rule out that it is in another continent. Thank you.

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:56 AM

You could go into your local Fabric Store and buy several meters of black cloth, and make your own shroud...  thinking1.gif 

• John Lightholder and Zwick like this

#3 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:39 AM

You could go into your local Fabric Store and buy several meters of black cloth, and make your own shroud...  thinking1.gif

Hi,

In fact my current one is like that, but I notice that the passage of time is tearing the seams, I have not chosen a suitable material. My biggest problem is that I don't have a sewing machine and doing it by hand is very difficult. Thanks for the suggestion, it would be my last option.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:26 AM

Hi,

In fact my current one is like that, but I notice that the passage of time is tearing the seams, I have not chosen a suitable material. My biggest problem is that I don't have a sewing machine and doing it by hand is very difficult. Thanks for the suggestion, it would be my last option.

My wife makes mine.  We are from the generation where girls learned to sew.  She even sewed an 11 ft x 11 ft tarp into a cover for my 22 inch.  How she fit that tarp through that little sewing machine, it was magic.

I am with you, if I had to do it, I'd have to do it by hand.  

Jon

#5 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

https://www.scopeshrouds.com/

• Roragi, Cali and Pogo007 like this

#6 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

Nylon lycra is available in tubular-knit form.

It may or may not be available in a large enough size to fit your dob.  You need at least the same diameter as your mirror before it is stretched.

If it is, only the ends would need to be hemmed.

#7 Sean Wood

Sean Wood

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: North Carolina

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:02 PM

If you visit your local fabrics store I'm sure they could recommend someone locally that could make a simple shroud for a small fee. Just make sure to tell them to double stitch the seams. With any stretchable material it's a must to avoid over taxing the seam.

#8 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:54 AM

I think that import prices and expenses are not worth it for a piece of cloth. It was my last option but it has become the first. I have to look for a good Lycra / Nylon fabric my current shroud is not waterproof enough on wet days. Thank you for helping to make the decision.

#9 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

When I first got my 12 1/2" I went to Walmart to look at fabric for a shroud. The nice lady helping me out asked what it was for and I described it to her. She offered to make it for free if I bough the fabric. I went home and measured the the diameters of the upper and lower sections and the overall length. I went back and picked out the fabric, gave her a rough sketch with measurements, and a few days later she called and had it ready. The fit was pretty good and I am still using the shroud to this day!

On my 18" and 25" scopes I purchased the shrouds from Heather Teeter. They work great.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics