•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Don't wait for it - a note on perfectionism.

beginner ATM classic DIY double star observatory observing observing report
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

This summer was fantastic - warm and clear many cloudless nights, we spend it in Berlin and rural Russia, a month in each place. I got my first telescope with a shaky alt/az mount and exploited every possibility to use it. Vixen SkyScope 80S - we had so much fun!

Upon return to Oslo, Norway, I continued to read CN, study Astro history, look for bargains and buying a few more scopes, eyepieces, books and charts. But I rarely looked up...

Either it was clouded, raining, too cold or some other excuse. Jupiter was never the same as it was in the backcountry in Russia, even in Berlin it looked great.
So I spend the nights with preparations and experiments for a DIY 85mm f/12 refractor. Luckily, I have a great workshop and studio. (The missing piece is a lathe, preferably for metal, but that is a huge investment in money and time.)

Every step of researching, studying, making and finally understanding and mastering a specific task or concept in astronomy is fulfilling in a very deep sense. The feeling of something magic and meaningful happening - when a double star resolves, or some object coming in focus in your handmade eyepiece prototype - is the feeling of wonder, awe, and joy, that we, hopefully, experienced daily during childhood, and astronomy is one of those things that gives me this feeling.
I want to understand and be able to visualize the direction in which we fly through the universe, I want to be able to pinpoint my position in our galaxy, I want to learn to navigate with the help of stars. I want to challenge myself with logical, mathematical, abstract and construction tasks to keep the brain sharp, I want to make things with my hands, as I do in my profession as a visual artist, and amazingly – astronomy covers all those wants.

Now, two months have gone by, since we returned from our trips. And I never looked up...

My studio and workshop are where I spend most of my time. There is a balcony here as well, but also many very very bright outdoor lamps that do not have an on/off switch. So I wait for the observing weekend trip with the local astronomy club by the end of the month. I wait for the trip to my friend's cabin, I wait till next summer when we go back to the small village in Russia. Aah! That is when I am going to enjoy clear dark skies, and see all the galaxies, nebulas, clusters and double stars that I want! But right now, I mean, the lamps, the pollution - why bother? Then, the cheap 70/900 Skywatcher refractor, made in China? No, I will wait till I have finished my 85mm refractor, the lenses are bought from IR Poyser, great quality.

Yesterday I bought a Unitron 60/900 - a beautiful sleek design, 800 NOK, without a tripod. Yesterday I realized - I can't wait for it.
A few days before this, I watched informative and funny ( in a weird kind of way=) videos by David Fuller, "Eyes on the Sky", on how to align and operate an equatorial mount. What a revelation! The EQ1, that followed the Skywatcher refractor, is a shaky piece of metal, but still, it works, and it made so much sense! Now, I am one step closer to understanding my position and movement in the Solar system. Yesterday, I set up the tripod, covered some of the lamps with red transparent foil and black plastic bags on others and started the alignment process. While covering the lamps with the foil, the perfectionist in me wanted to rush to the workshop and produce wooden frame lamp covers, that could be easily taken on and off. A re-attachable panel to shield light from the neighboring building. No, wait, if I used two ladders, I could get to the flat part of the roof, and set up a rig there! Hm, that requires two ladders, a sort of elevator for the equipment, permission from the landlord to use the roof, and on and on... Optics should rather be tested before use, I need to read up on filters and order some reducing LP, and wait for them to arrive. Then there is the trees, a mountain and tall residential buildings that block my view – only about 20 by 20 degrees (if that is a correct way to describe this) straight up to the zenith is visible. Why bother?

The perfectionist ends up building and launching a Hubble telescope, but in his/her head only.

So, with the dimmed lights and newly acquired knowledge about eq mounts, I could barely glimpse the Polar star above the roof edge, which was enough to align the scope, I sat down on the little tripod chair and looked through the 25 mm eyepiece. I knew that the Swan is flying along the Milky Way, and remember that there are many interesting marks on the chart of this area, but I had no charts with me. I got swept away by what I saw. With the unaided eye, the Swan was there, but not much else. But through the telescope – endless stars!! I just cruised along, while getting used to movements of the eq, and that feeling I mentioned earlier, arose. I could see!

The thought hit me: it is wrong to say that light pollution, equipment of lesser quality and other demoralizing aspects of night sky observation are limitations. The small cone of open sky that I have access to on my balcony is actually endless and limitless in the only direction that matters – up! It could take years, decades, maybe lifetimes of observing, sketching, imaging, tracking, improving, learning, making and getting hit by wonder, just by looking at that small part of the sky, before it depleted its exploration potential, if ever.

Just how ignorant and self-important I have been, to think that I "need" a bigger sky, that I "need" better equipment, that I "must have" city-wide black-out, just so I could feed the perfectionist in me. Perfectionism is endless, it can never be satisfied. But the only thing that is completely perfect and endless is the Universe itself.

The gift I was given that evening at the human end of the telescope was a double star. Do not know which one, but hopefully, with these thoughts in mind, we will meet again.

Attached Thumbnails

• note on perfection.jpg

• davidmcgo, Starman27, mrowlands and 14 others like this

#2 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

Well said!

Keep looking up!

CB

• mr.otswons likes this

#3 rajilina

rajilina

Explorer 1

• Loc: UT, USA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:46 AM

I've loved the stars all my life; unfortunately waited until I was pretty old to start really doing something about it. But now that I'm at that point, I intend to make the most of it, and this is a good reminder to keep on that path. Excellent post.

In the endless quest for perfection, we often forget to enjoy the ride along the way.

• SeaBee1 and mr.otswons like this

#4 db2005

db2005

Viking 1

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5 skies.

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

You are not alone in having chased "perfection" and consequently missing out on many opportunities for "wonderful" and "good enough" observing experiences. This is why I firmly believe that every observer needs a grab-and-go telescope which is so easy to set up that there is no excuse for not actually going out to observe.

Even a 60-100 mm scope gathers around 70-200x more light than the unaided eye, allowing for an almost unbelievable amplification of what you can see with the naked eye. Sure, larger amateur scopes definitely show more, but the improvements are IME incremental and not as dramatic as the jump from naked eye to eye-plus-small telescope.

Enjoy your scope. Your most comfortable-to-use scope is very likely to become your most used scope, regardless of aperture.

Edited by db2005, 18 September 2019 - 11:29 AM.

• SeaBee1 and mr.otswons like this

#5 trapdoor2

trapdoor2

Mariner 2

• Loc: Nawth Alabama

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

This is why I now have a pair of 10X50 binoculars and a suitable tripod living in my screened-in back porch. The dog gets his late night treats and gets put up around 10pm...if there are any stars out, I have the binos just feet away and all I have to do is fold the legs, get it thru the doorway, set it down and take off the caps. I have only a tiny window of usable sky but I can usually find something to look at!

• mr.otswons likes this

#6 Sketcher

Sketcher

Apollo

• Loc: Under Earth's Sky

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:25 AM

Beautifully stated!  It was a pleasure to read! waytogo.gif

• jpcampbell and mr.otswons like this

#7 Dalew

Dalew

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

Very well put and an important read.   Just say "no" to analysis paralysis!

• mr.otswons likes this

#8 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:04 AM

Thank you all for supportive words!
I must add - these thoughts did not come from nowhere, I must give a lot of credit to the community here at CN.
Quite often someone reminds us of these words: The best telescope is the one you use the most" or something like that. Wonder who said that for the first time?
At the same time, I must give credit to this community for the opposite! The well-formulated "analysis paralysis" – more often then not it comes while reading posts by members whose skills and knowledge neves stops to amaze! Then you would like to follow and do the same complicated and intricate work, because it is brilliant and interesting:))

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, ATM, classic, DIY, double star, observatory, observing, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics