•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC 5070, L935, NGC 7000, Cygnus, Tsapo100q

astrophotography ccd CMOS dslr dso imaging optics Orion refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rekokich

rekokich

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:10 AM

IC 5070, L935, NGC 7000, Cygnus, Tsapo100q

The Pelican Nebula, 1500-2000 LY distant from Earth, is a part of a large gas and dust region which includes NGC 7000, the N America Nebula. It derives its name from a resemblance to a pelican, although to my eye it looks much like a rabbit running toward the north. The region is an extensive star nursery in which new energetic stars excite and ionize Hydrogen atoms causing them to re-emit light mostly in the red Ha wavelength. The cold, dark molecular cloud L935 lies between Pelican and N America nebulas, behind the bright blue star 57 Cygni above the pelican's beak.

The image was taken with the TSAPO100Q astrograph, iEQ30pro mount, full spectrum modified Canon T3i camera, and guided with the Orion 60mm F4 SSAG pro.

It is a stack of 16x360sec exposures, iso 1600, with the Astronomik 12nm Ha filter, and 7x360sec exposures, iso 1600, with Astronomik CLS-CCD filter, 40 darks, 40 bias, processed with DSS, XnView, Star Tools, and Neat Image..

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome

Z1_filtered.jpg

• mikewayne3 and md11spotter98 like this

#2 rekokich

rekokich

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

Z2_filtered.jpg

#3 View2

View2

Vanguard

• Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

Wow that's a lot of data there lot of contrast. What does it look like without applying neat image?

#4 rekokich

rekokich

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 11:14 PM

Wow that's a lot of data there lot of contrast. What does it look like without applying neat image?

Thank you for your comment. I applied noise reduction in StarTools on the 5 pixel level to the final 3600x2400 pixel image. Neat Image was used only for edge-smoothing on the stars. The effect would not be visible on the attached image, which is a downsampled low quality JPG due to file size limitation.

Regarding contrast, I prefer a black sky because it makes the stars stand out, and because that is what I see through an eyepiece. I make the sky black by creating a mask of light features above a threshold, inverting the mask to cover the sky only, then subtracting the sky from itself in the Layer module. There is no change applied to any light features.

untitled.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, CMOS, dslr, dso, imaging, optics, Orion, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics