•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autostar Updater Being Fussy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StargazerMax94

StargazerMax94

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

I recently got an LX200GPS for cheap because it needs some repairs. One of those things is the firmware, it’s still on 1.3t. I want to upgrade to the latest 4.2L but two different computers are fighting me on 2 different things right now. 

First I purchased a USB to RJ11 direct cable that is made for the LX200s by a gentleman here in the US. It essentially eliminates the serial connector in the middle. I’m using an old laptop on Windows XP, and AutoStar Updater 5.9.3. The telescope connects up right away, and when you hit Update Autostar, you select the hand controller, and then get from WWW. When it tries it reads this: 

“ THE HOST NAME IN THE CERTIFICATE IS INVALID OR DOES NOT MATCH”

So I thought, okay, I’ll try different version of AutoStar Updater, all the same result. 

Swapped computers then. Went over to my Windows 10 Surface Pro, latest version of AutoStar Updater, plugged the same cable in, connected right up to the scope, tells me the firmware I’m using currently, then when you go to update, it confirms you want to, then it reads this: 

“CHECK AUTOSTAR CABLE OR TRY A DIFFERENT SERIAL PORT THEN POWER CYCLE AUTOSTAR AND TRY AGAIN”

Okay, nothing fixes that. However it does automatically put the scope in Download mode.

So I also tried StarPatch to see and kind of the same thing. Notices the scope, downloads the firmware from the internet but when it goes to try to update, it loses connection when it throws it into download mode. 

Anybody have these problems? Ways to fix? 

Edited by StargazerMax94, 18 September 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

Gday StarGazerMax

As it can find the mount and put it into download mode, it sounds like it is working

In the earlier mounts, you could only use the left rs232 port ( ie closest one to the Hbx port ) to do firmware loads

so what port are you using.

I strongly suggest using StarPatch to load patched 4.2g, ( vs load 4.2l ), as several people are reporting odd problems with 4.2l.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics