I recently offered to clean up a pair of these for a relative. They had seen some "hard miles" with many years of sailboat use and minimal cleaning.
The glass, exterior, and strap are clean now and I wanted to provide a little information to the owner about them. Standard web references offer them for sale but provide precious few details other than the marketing blurb.
Here's what I know so far:
- purchased in the 1980s for about $300
- made in Japan, says produced to U.S. Navy standards
- 380 ft. at 1000 yrds. yields approximately 7.3 degree FOV (although it feels much tighter, I'm thinking the AFOV is probably small)
- individual focusing, and eye relief is really tight; can't see the entire FOV with glasses (especially mine)
- daytime views are good, but do not show the focus snap I would have expected
- left barrel view seems slightly soft (could be my eyes, but none of my other binos show this)
- both eyepieces have small marks toward the edge of the EPs that don't clean up (I'm guessing some salt sat on the EPs for some time)
Could anyone point me to reviews or other information on these?