•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pioneer Research 7x50 "Navy One" Marine Binocular

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tmichaelbanks

tmichaelbanks

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

I recently offered to clean up a pair of these for a relative.  They had seen some "hard miles" with many years of sailboat use and minimal cleaning.

The glass, exterior, and strap are clean now and I wanted to provide a little information to the owner about them.  Standard web references offer them for sale but provide precious few details other than the marketing blurb.

Here's what I know so far:

- purchased in the 1980s for about $300

- made in Japan, says produced to U.S. Navy standards

- 380 ft. at 1000 yrds. yields approximately 7.3 degree FOV (although it feels much tighter, I'm thinking the AFOV is probably small)

- individual focusing, and eye relief is really tight; can't see the entire FOV with glasses (especially mine)

- daytime views are good, but do not show the focus snap I would have expected

- left barrel view seems slightly soft (could be my eyes, but none of my other binos show this)

- both eyepieces have small marks toward the edge of the EPs that don't clean up (I'm guessing some salt sat on the EPs for some time)

Could anyone point me to reviews or other information on these?

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Yarddog

Yarddog

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

I traded for one of these which was like new in the box. The paperwork said something like "from the same production line as U.S. Navy binoculars."

They did appear to be military and were decent quality but not as good as the old WWII Bausch & Lomb with coated lenses. Definitely not as good as military Pioneer, Steiner 7X50 Military surplus which were great. At one time, I regularly checked the pawn shops near Ft. Stewart and picked up several surplus Steiners.

I phoned Pioneer and asked how much they would charge to remove the laser shield from the Steiner which I had read, reduced optical quality. The lady said they would remove them for free but I traded that one off before I got the chance. The guy I traded  it to actually had a yacht tied up at Jekyl Island. He had walked over to a gun show. He said they were exactly what he was looking for, especially being water proof.

Edited by Yarddog, 18 September 2019 - 01:11 PM.

• Ant1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics