•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Andromeda HaRGB @f3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jcwillis4

Jcwillis4

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Plano, TX

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

Hey everyone,

It's Andromeda time again!  I come back to this target at least a couple times a year as sort of a barometer of how my skills and gear have improved my results.  I finally have a good focal length to get the whole field, and I was super happy with the results over last time.  This was also my first time using a mono camera on it, and it really paid out on the detail.  Using the F3 reducer allowed me to gather a ton of light in just part of an evening for the RGB data.  Comments and criticism welcome as always.   

get.jpg?insecure

Technical details:

150 R/G/B subs @ 60 seconds

150 Ha subs @ 90 seconds

Scope: Takahashi FSQ106EDx4 with F3 reducer

Mount: iOptron CEM60EC

Camera: ZWO ASI1600MM @ 75 gain offset 15

Filters: ZWO RGB and Ha filter set for ASI1600

Sequence Generator Pro for capture/planning

PHD2 guiding

Pixinsight for stacking/processing

Lightroom for star fringe removal (1 click removal of blue halos, haven't found anything in Pixinsight that is THAT easy)

• Gregory, psandelle, eros312 and 12 others like this

#2 BenKolt

BenKolt

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

That's a good job, John. Well done!

I'm pleased to see that your Tak FSQ-106 + FR is working for you.  I have plans to buy a FR for that same scope soon.

I'm curious how you are guiding.  Is it an OAG or separate guide scope?  In my case I'll need to use a separate guide scope with the FR due to back focus limitations.

Ben

#3 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:49 AM

Wow.. drool.gif

• Jcwillis4 likes this

#4 PeteM

PeteM

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM

Excellent work on this.

• Jcwillis4 likes this

#5 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

That is a solid M31!

• Jcwillis4 likes this

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

John, this is one of the best Andromeda Galaxy images I've ever seen! And only 2 hours!!! Your processing skills are obviously outstanding!
Mike

• rkelley8493 likes this

#7 Jcwillis4

Jcwillis4

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:26 PM

That's a good job, John. Well done!

I'm pleased to see that your Tak FSQ-106 + FR is working for you.  I have plans to buy a FR for that same scope soon.

I'm curious how you are guiding.  Is it an OAG or separate guide scope?  In my case I'll need to use a separate guide scope with the FR due to back focus limitations.

Ben

Thanks Ben!  I’m guiding with a 60mm guidescope.  At F3, you’re looking at 2.4 arc seconds on my camera, so even ok guiding is plenty.  The F3 reducer is fantastic, highly recommend it.

#8 Jcwillis4

Jcwillis4

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:29 PM

John, this is one of the best Andromeda Galaxy images I've ever seen! And only 2 hours!!! Your processing skills are obviously outstanding!
Mike

Thanks Mike! It’s that F3 that really lets you bring the time down.  At F5 I would have needed at least double the exposure time.

#9 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

Mike

+1! I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to astro-photo, so I have no idea about exposure times and whatnot, but that's a very unique and impressive photo of Andromeda like-button.jpg  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics