•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binning 2X2 for OIII and SII?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Isabelle

Isabelle

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:03 PM

Is it advantageous to bin 2X2 OIII and SII for a SHO image?

I am imaging the Bubble Nebula right now where the OIII and SII content are not very high. I already have a good Ha stacked image. Would it be advantageous to proceed with binning 2X2 for those 2 gases in other to pack more subs in the few cloudless nights I get?   Or would the image end up be too grainy at the end?

Thanks

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

Is it advantageous to bin 2X2 OIII and SII for a SHO image?

I am imaging the Bubble Nebula right now where the OIII and SII content are not very high. I already have a good Ha stacked image. Would it be advantageous to proceed with binning 2X2 for those 2 gases in other to pack more subs in the few cloudless nights I get?   Or would the image end up be too grainy at the end?

Thanks

It will not be too grainy.  Binning 2X2 improves signal to noise ratio.

The thing to look out for is decreased resolution making things soft.  Whether or not that occurs depends mostly on processing.

#3 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

It depends highly on the individual target.  Certain targets carry predominantly detail in Ha, in which case binning OIII and SII may save time, without the image suffering in detail.  However, certain target like the network nebula in the veil complex or the crab nebula have great filamentary detail in OIII. These targets would likely suffer from the loss of resolution.

Derek

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:02 PM

I used to bin some of my source data, but nowadays I acquire my source data without binning, and then bin 2x2 in software afterwards if I want to. This maximizes my processing options. (I can't un-bin source images.) You lose the benefit of lower read noise, but you recover some of that in the averaging process. (When binning in software you are averaging or summing 4 neighboring pixels, which improves SNR assuming the noise in each pixel is random. It seems to work.) Nebulosity gives me the option of binning with summing or averaging the source data.

Options are good.

Food for thought.

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics