•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chinese Tarrifs

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

I certainly don't want this discussion to go political, but with all the equipment (such as Orion reflectors) being manufactured in China, do you think the tariffs will effect supply & pricing? I'm asking since i have noticed the xx14i has been out of stock for several months, with ship dates about 6 weeks out.

#2 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Here is the current tariff schedule. Optical telescopes are sitting at 8% which is where they have been for some time.

Note that this schedule is updated almost monthly. In the future just click the above link and you'll see the current tariff.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 18 September 2019 - 12:49 PM.

• IVM, psandelle and vtornado like this

#3 IVM

IVM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

Look up the prices of these scopes in Europe (EU and farther east). In Australia (I looked it up when I considered buying in Australia for my travels) it's not just higher - you won't recognize the very pricing category of all the familiar China-made models. It's like you are buying with delivery to the Moon. So I am guessing this is where we are headed in the US as the new tariff regime develops, more like Europe than Australia for the foreseeable future. E.g., my main scope is 8K US here (often 7.5); in Mother Russia it is the exchange equivalent of 10K+ US, and they are next door to China, so it's not transport costs.

P.S. I just remembered AUD/USD was very unfavorable - and doubly so compared to now - at the time I was looking in Australia (2012?), but it certainly was not the only contribution to the prices that I wrote about.

Edited by IVM, 18 September 2019 - 01:09 PM.

#4 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

So i guess the US has been lucky with prices, but maybe running out of luck!

#5 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

I don't think Taiwan is on the tariffs chart.  Isn't Williams Optics from Taiwan? 

#6 Cali

Cali

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

I don't think Taiwan is on the tariffs chart.  Isn't Williams Optics from Taiwan? 

The tariff schedule is across the board expect for the noted exceptions. Click the "i" icon next to the string "Rates of Duty" for those exceptions.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 18 September 2019 - 01:34 PM.

#7 Roragi

Roragi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orion arm

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:57 AM

If you do not want to wait, you can buy outside your country, although this makes the price more expensive.

#8 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:25 PM

EU costs includes 19-22% VAT.

Let me take one of the most common mounts, the EQ6R, from the biggest EU astro store.

https://www.teleskop...GoTo-Mount.html

That's 1545€. Take out the German 19% VAT and convert to dollars: you obtain 1137$.

The same mount from Astronomics is 1595$

https://www.astronom...cope-mount.html

#9 IVM

IVM

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:57 PM

No reason to exclude VAT, since it can substitute for a tariff from the consumer's standpoint. But your (counter)example is still fully valid, especially because there are sales taxes in the US that may be added on top of the displayed price, depending on the buyer's address. Nearly 9% for New York, although for some states it is 0.

#10 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

Europe too has tariffs, although I have no idea how high they are for telescopes and mounts. The difference is that we are keeping ours steady (w.r.t. China), while you are increasing yours.

In any case, you can include VAT, but then you have to factor in that the European consumer do not have to pay for a number of things the US one has to pay (healthcare and university above all).

Edited by Riccardo_italy, 21 September 2019 - 12:11 PM.

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

So i guess the US has been lucky with prices, but maybe running out of luck!

Yes, several companies have announced price increases effective October 1st.

Increases aren't huge--all under 10%--but prices are going up.

• IVM and waso29 like this

#12 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

Europe too has tariffs, although I have no idea how high they are for telescopes and mounts. The difference is that we are keeping ours steady (w.r.t. China), while you are increasing yours.

In any case, you can include VAT, but then you have to factor in that the European consumer do not have to pay for a number of things the US one has to pay (healthcare and university above all).

Our tariffs have not increased for optical instruments.  See post #2 above.

• IVM likes this

#13 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:35 AM

UK costs went up when the £ dropped against most currancies. I realised it would and got my 72ED then 2 weeks after they added 10% to the cost. That was however not Tarrifs. But if the £ regains I do not expect the price to drift down by the 10%.

There seems a delay on many scopes at present. Synta source and even it seems WO as I see few of theirs on web sites

May be a reason for it but it could well be simple uncertainty. Load up a container, put on a ship, sail for 3 months and find that the situation has changed on arrival.

• IVM likes this

#14 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

Our tariffs have not increased for optical instruments. See post #2 above.

True, but if tariffs go up for steel or other components, it could still increase price.

Or it could just be inflation, cost of living stuff.

Scott
  • Eddgie likes this

#15 hungerford

hungerford

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

Just to clarify in most of Europe we do pay for healthcare as a monthly tax taken direct from our salaries. And universities are not free either. Most students get loan for their tuitions. No very important but it isn't free.

In France you need a complementary insurance to cover the medical cost and that is age related. As an example a 60 year old couple will have to pay around $2500 a year about the National insurance Contribution for their health. Glasses, earing aids and teeth are not covered and you can expect to pay for 90% of your needs.

#16 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Skylab

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

Just to clarify in most of Europe we do pay for healthcare as a monthly tax taken direct from our salaries. And universities are not free either. Most students get loan for their tuitions. No very important but it isn't free.

In France you need a complementary insurance to cover the medical cost and that is age related. As an example a 60 year old couple will have to pay around $2500 a year about the National insurance Contribution for their health. Glasses, earing aids and teeth are not covered and you can expect to pay for 90% of your needs.

That’s horrible.

#17 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

General info about the French Healthcare system: HERE is a link.

Unless something happens, ALL Chinese goods will increase in price.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 28 September 2019 - 10:12 AM.

#18 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:16 AM

Hi Folks

Please keep the topic regarding tariffs related to discussion of astro equipment only.....further discussion not directly related to astro products will get this one shut down.

Thanks

#19 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:06 PM

True, but if tariffs go up for steel or other components, it could still increase price.

Or it could just be inflation, cost of living stuff.

Scott

The steel prices would not affect the price of telescopes because they come into the US as finished goods, and the steel used was not produced in the US.

You are absolutely on point about inflation.  Inflation is a constant factor in economics and this is why a 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible had an MSRP of $2814 and a 2019 Mustang EcoBoost Convertible has an MSRP over 10 times higher ($31,895).

Inflation is a integral part of capitalism, and if you think that is bad, let me ask the average reader how they would feel if they never got another raise again. Inflation is one of the foundations of capitalism and free enterprise. 

• SandyHouTex likes this

#20 Diana N

Diana N

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

There is one (very dim) bright spot I can see to the tarriffs:  they may make US-made scopes more competitive in terms of price.

#21 Chesterguy1

Chesterguy1

Viking 1

• Loc: Stillwater, OK

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

There is one (very dim) bright spot I can see to the tarriffs:  they may make US-made scopes more competitive in terms of price.

I love buying US made goods when possible and not just astronomy products. But, keep in mind the thin margins for many of the smaller US players. Both of my reflectors were made in the US, by genuine craftsman as were two of my mounts. Same goes for their mirrors and some of the parts. Both of my refractors were made outside the US, one in Japan and one in China. All have given me immense pleasure. I would say, however, that for many, many getting into the astronomy hobby, their choices are pretty much limited to Asian products. I think "competitive" is strictly in the eye and pocketbook of the purchaser. I also find that at least with a lot of the US telescopes there can be a supply and demand imbalance, which can lead to a waiting game.

Chesterguy 

Edited by Chesterguy1, 28 September 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#22 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

There is one (very dim) bright spot I can see to the tariffs:  they may make US-made scopes more competitive in terms of price.

If you are talking purely about the price of high-end scopes made in the US versus high end scopes made in Europe, you are correct.

But then, the high end scopes here have always been competitively priced in comparison.  It's the huge cost of shipping that makes the scopes uncompetitive.

Unless the scope is VERY expensive, shipping costs can be as high as 50% the price of the scope.

It's why very few European scopes are sold here, and vice versa.

#23 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:52 PM

That’s horrible.

Not compared to the $2500 per MONTH we pay for insurance

• Pierre Lemay likes this

#24 GShaffer

GShaffer

Knight of Ni

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:17 PM

2nd request to keep this about tariffs as they relate to astronomy equipment......stay on topic.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics