•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

9 Panel Mosaic Veil Nebula

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ArkabPriorSol

ArkabPriorSol

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:32 PM

PcpdMcZ5uQEs_1824x0_wmhqkGbg.jpg

The full resolution is over 100 megapixels. You can view the full resolution image on my Astrobin here: https://www.astrobin.com/pk3ema/0/

The Veil supernova remnant is magnificently beautiful and I wanted to capture the entirety of it. This has been my most ambitious project yet, consisting of 9 panels, and over 100 hours of acquisition.

It was actually my first mosaic process, and I have to give special thanks to Dennis Sprinkle for providing me with his APP mosaic workflow. I also followed David Ault's mosaic tutorial - Highly recommend it!

My process workflow went as follows: Organize all the subframes into appropriate directories for channel and panel. PixInsight: Batch preprocess the subs for calibration; Eliminated any bad frames; StarAlignment; Integration; Cropping; ABE; export each master panel as TIFF. Astro Pixel Process: Import all the master panels; mosaic registration and integration. Did that whole process for each channel. Load mosaic images into PixInsight: Cropping; DBE; Deconvolution; Combination; Background and color calibrations; HistogramTransformation; Luminance and Saturation tweaks; light HDR applied. Then exported as TIFF and imported into LightRoom. LightRoom: adjusted color temperature; applied noise reduction; applied sharpening; adjusted background shadows.

Please let me know if you have any question, comments, or feedback! I'd love to share more about any part of my workflow and process with anyone curious.

Thanks!

• Gregory, ManuelJ, astrovienna and 28 others like this

#2 ChristopherBeere

ChristopherBeere

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:36 PM

Thats got some serious pop, great processing.

#3 Joe G

Joe G

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

That's nice!  Is that an HOO combine with your QHY 163m?

I just did 40 hours of the Veil with my FSQ and ASI 094 OSC.  Went for less "pop."  But I like your saturated colors.  Only nitpick is the background has a bit of a red bias.

Great job.

• ArkabPriorSol likes this

#4 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest IL (for now)

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:33 PM

Spectacular image and processing! Well done!

#5 bobharmony

bobharmony

Mariner 2

• Loc: Connecticut, USA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:45 PM

Just "Wow"!  I am loving the way you put the entire area together so seamlessly. 

When I grow up I'd like to come close to this level of result!

Bob

#6 elmiko

elmiko

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:17 AM

Simply stunning! Outstanding effort! What camera did you use?
Mike

#7 ArkabPriorSol

ArkabPriorSol

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

Simply stunning! Outstanding effort! What camera did you use?
Mike

Thank you! I used my QHY163M. It's a terrific little camera and has served me well so far. I've got my eyes set on a QHY600 as an upgrade some time in the future.

#8 ArkabPriorSol

ArkabPriorSol

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

I just did 40 hours of the Veil with my FSQ and ASI 094 OSC.  Went for less "pop."  But I like your saturated colors.  Only nitpick is the background has a bit of a red bias.

Great job.

Yes, it's an Ha+Oiii mix, with a synthetic green channel. I'll find the PixelMath equation I used for the Ha+Oiii mix. And yes, I used my trusty QHY163M.

#9 ArkabPriorSol

ArkabPriorSol

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:25 PM

Great job.

Thanks Joe! I appreciate the nitpick! There's a TON of diffuse Ha signal in this region, and I think that red bias is caused from that. I tried to desaturate the background a bit, but I also didn't want to affect all the Ha structures to. Processing with LightRoom helped a lot because I could be much more accurate with my masking. I'll work on it some more :)

#10 KD58

KD58

Viking 1

• Loc: West Texas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:08 PM

Spectacular image! That's a lot of hard work. Congratulations.

#11 richorn

richorn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rancho Palos Verdes. CA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

Stunning!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics