•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How Does One Mount an 80mm Refractor?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Newtonian6

Newtonian6

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:38 PM

Hi All,

I'm trying to mount an 80 mm refactor onto a dovetail plate (bottom of plate should be 2 15/16 inches wide). I have attached a picture below of the current mounting bracket (not sure exactly what it is called). I plan to take this off and put tube rings on it. I did not think it would be so difficult to find tube rings and a plate. Where can I find a good plate and compatible rings? I have found a few, but they are quite expensive. By the way, how necessary is it to have expensive (really good quality) rings for astrophotography?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0914 (1).JPG

#2 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

Any metal rings on the market should be good enough to mount an 80mm scope.  It is best to get rings

that "fully clamp" the scope body.  Not ones with the three adjustment screws.  Too much flex.

Orion (and many others) sell the rings and dovetail bars (that's what that metal strip is called).

https://tinyurl.com/y487llv9

And the bar - you may want a shorter one than this one, but you get the idea:

https://tinyurl.com/yy2mzeby

And yes,  astronomy and astrophotography are expensive hobbies !

Edited by petert913, 18 September 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#3 mashirts

mashirts

Messenger

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

Scopestuff:

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_rings.htm

#4 LDW47

LDW47

Vanguard

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

I think it is called a mounting shoe ! Both the 80mm SkyWatcher Equinox and the Orion equivalent have similar but a bit different shape to that type of bracket as do other quality apo’s ! Just bolt it directly to the dovetail plate and forget the rings, it will be as solid as a rock on your mount !

Edited by LDW47, 18 September 2019 - 05:55 PM.

#5 MGD

MGD

Ranger 4

• Loc: Interlaken NY

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

You do realize that by converting to rings you'll lose the rotation feature don't you? Just ad another dovetail to the bottom of the shoe it's plenty strong and costs less.

Mike 

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:03 AM

You do realize that by converting to rings you'll lose the rotation feature don't you? Just ad another dovetail to the bottom of the shoe it's plenty strong and costs less.

Mike 

He should still be able to rotate the scope in the rings.. 

Jon

• t-ara-fan likes this

#7 dwmedic

dwmedic

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oxford,Ks

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:09 AM

Agena Astro would be another place to look. I've always had great service from them.

#8 MGD

MGD

Ranger 4

• Loc: Interlaken NY

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

Yes he can rotate it in the rings but it's pretty easy to turn using the stock method. It's also cheaper to just bolt a dovetail to the foot and he was complaining about cost.

Mike

#9 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

What mount do you have and are you visual or imaging?

#10 photoracer18

photoracer18

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

Just remember that about 95% of 80mm scopes use 90mm tubes so you need 90mm rings. Cheapest are the Synta ones and they go up from there. I have used the Synta rings with my TMB 80 SS triplet and just rotated the tube around so the foot is not in the way. Its also possible to just attach the foot to a small Losmandy size plate if it has 2 holes on the bottom. Just get a plate with a long center channel. The foot itself is designed for Vixen sized plate-holders.

Here is that scope mounted on a Celestron nexstar 4se mount on the wedge tripod.

TMB2-1024.jpg

Here are the Orion rings, by far the cheapest and I use them with this and my Astrotech AT80LE. 

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-4

Edited by photoracer18, 20 September 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

Yes he can rotate it in the rings but it's pretty easy to turn using the stock method. It's also cheaper to just bolt a dovetail to the foot and he was complaining about cost.

Mike

Mike:

I was just pointing out that the scope could still be rotated with rings.

My own thinking is that for astrophotography, something the original poster seems to contemplating, rings are better, they have a much wider mounting base, better for handling the weight of the camera etc. . For visual, attaching a dovetail to the finder is fine.

I have two 80 mm ed/app's. One has a foot and I drilled a second hole and added a short dovetail. The other one is a carbon fiber tube and dew shield with the nice "robust" machined rings.  Because of the rings, the carbon fiber scope is the heavier of the two.

A third option is a clamshell.

Jon

#12 Newtonian6

Newtonian6

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for the responses. The setup will be for DSLR astrophotography. If I eventually want to add an autoguider scope, shouldn't I use rings?

Edited by Newtonian6, 21 September 2019 - 04:39 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics