•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO EAF lost settings...anyone?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: outside of Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

So I set up my limits on the ZWO EAF and got a good focus point. Hooked everything up to NINA and ran the autofocus and backlash routines. Everything worked fine last night.

Tonight I connect the focus motor and the only thing it remembered was the max limit of 20,000 steps then proceeded to tell me it was currently at 30,000 instead of the 7596 focus point it was supposed to be.

It took a lot of resets, unplugging and mess to get it back to a calibrated state since it already thought it was past the max limit. That beep can get really annoying.

Has this happened to anyone else?   The only thing that changed between now and last night was my computer running a windows update. I would hate to think that was it, especially since it somehow remember the max step even though it was currently beyond it.

#2 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

Well it happened again tonight. Connected the ZWO EAF and the max limit was set to 20,000 but the focuser position was at 30,000. It also turned the beeps back on. So essentially every time I disconnect the focuser the driver loses all of its settings. 

I guess I will re-install the driver and maybe contact ZWO.  There was no Windows update this time so nothing changed between fixing it last night and connecting it tonight.

#3 daswe1

daswe1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:30 AM

You need new firmware

https://astronomy-im...oftware-drivers

#4 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:25 AM

Is there a way to check which firmware I have? The focuser is only 2 weeks old and the QC was dated only a few weeks before I received it.

#5 RichardE

RichardE

Lift Off

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

I have the exact same thing happening to me as well,  after a while of use, the EAF just looses all its settings,  have to go into the Ascom Setup and reset it again,  reset the focuser  which is a royal pain, also I got mine with the new batch that came out a few weeks back as well, and it does have the latest firmware installed.

Also, do you have an issue with the Ascom driver if you put a 0 in any of the fields it pops up with errors etc, I have it installed on two different computers and get the same errors on both.

if this continues to happen, think i will send it back and try another product.

Richard

#6 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:00 PM

Yes, if I want it to go to a specific value, as soon as I delete the old value and the box is blank it gives an error before letting you fill in the new number.

#7 RichardE

RichardE

Lift Off

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

Yes, if I want it to go to a specific value, as soon as I delete the old value and the box is blank it gives an error before letting you fill in the new number.

Sounds like they need to some a bit more Q/A on the next release,  such a shame, seems like this EAF would be pretty good value after they get all the bugs worked out.

Richard

#8 RichardE

RichardE

Lift Off

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

Looks like they just released New Firmware on 09-16-19,  Version 3.1.6, Mine was loaded with 3.1.5, so maybe this will be the fix we need to address these issues

Richard

#9 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:20 PM

Good deal. I will check it out.

#10 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:16 AM

I updated the firmware and now have 3.1.6. I re-installed the ASCOM driver since the interface was still acting silly. After reinstall it is still acting silly.

I cannot set my zero and max because the focuser won't move more than 48 steps before beeping and stopping. If I use a software program like APT or NINA, I can get the focuser to move sometimes but it also stops and beeps. So image moving 1000 steps, it will stop and beep every 48-50 steps but will eventually move the 1000. It is not slipping, its just moving a bit and beeping at me. I have the beep turned off so I don't even know what this beep is.

I also have no idea if it will hold the currently wrong settings in there now because I have no idea how long I have to wait for it to lose settings as the previous firmware version was doing.

EDIT: I just noticed that while I have 3.1.6 installed, the changelog only goes to 3.1.5 so I have no idea what the status of my focuser is except that it moves in "48/beep" step increments.

Edited by mewmartigan, 22 September 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#11 RichardE

RichardE

Lift Off

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:17 PM

Yea, I updated my firmware to the latest, still same issues, forgets it settings, ascom Driver still has errors when you try to type in a value,  I'm thinking its time to return for a refund

Richard

#12 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

Richard,

I am having a TeamViewer/phone conversation with ZWO tonight. I will report back with what they say.
  • Swordfishy likes this

#13 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

Okay so my Teamviewer with ZWO is over and it seems to be working well now. I didn't have a single annoying beep during the whole test or during my setting of zero and max afterwards. I took a picture of the settings so when I reconnect tomorrow night (clear night!) hopefully it is the same.

As for what he did...…..I am not sure because he downloaded an "EAF test" program but it was all in Chinese. I saw the focuser move in and out as he changed values. He then updated the firmware. It still says 3.1.6 as before but he did not use the .hex file downloaded when I updated it. He deleted that one and pulled a different one from somewhere so I have no idea if my 3.1.6 is the same. He also erased the firmware on the EAF (using the test program I think) so I guess it was a clean install and not an update to the existing firmware.

Fingers crossed but aside from the 12 hour time difference, the TeamViewer chat went very well and I have high hopes that my settings will still be there tomorrow night.

Oh Richard, I asked about that "error" message when the in/out value field is blank and he said it is just a minor bug. So they are at least aware of it...maybe it will be fixed in the next version.

#14 OldManSky

OldManSky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Glad it appears to work now, but the mystery of why it didn't remains!  It was probably firmware-related, but it's interesting that mine (using apparently the same firmware you were having troubles with) had no such problems.  So it would be nice to know what was wrong, and what he used to fix it...oh well.  

Hope you're all up and running now!

• mewmartigan likes this

#15 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

Yeah my best guess would be a firmware issue that wasn't corrected when I overwrote 3.1.4 with 3.1.6. Maybe the fresh install was the trick or maybe it was the test program he had going. Either way, customer service was great and hopefully I am good to go.

• OldManSky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics