•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-r pro RA belt falling off?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kyle528

kyle528

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:09 PM

Setting up my mount tonight I realized it wasn't slewing in RA. I took the cover off and the belt had slipped off the RA motor pulley. Slewing with the cover off, I noticed that slewing east, the belt had a tendency to want to walk off the pulley, but slewing west, it wanted to walk itself back on. This obviously means the motor and worm pulleys are not square to each other. How do I go about adjusting this?

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:20 PM

I don't think that I have a picture of the belt system but if you send me one I might be able to help you out.  edwardthomas@deepspaceproducts.com.

• Paul76 likes this

#3 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:16 AM

If it's under warranty, send it back.

If it's not, I'd be looking to see if the pulleys are in alignment.  I don't know your mount, but if possible:  Take a straight edge and make sure that there are 4 points of contact when you hold it against the pulleys.   (front of and back edge of each pulley).

This will tell you quickly if either or both of them are off angle and/or not on the shaft in the correct position.  Then slew at the slowest speed, 180 degrees on each pulley.  Repeat the test.

You should now at least know what needs to be fixed, if not how...

#4 kyle528

kyle528

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

Here's a pic of the belt system, just under the cover on the east side of the mount. The belt had slipped off the brass pulley, and was easy enough to just slip back on. No movement detectable in either wheel, so it must just be out of alignment.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0462.JPG

#5 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

I can see a problem in the photo.  The belt on the brass pulley is flush with the edge.  On the silver, it's in a bit.

What I can't see, is if the belt is in too far, hanging over the edge of the silver pulley, on the back side.  I'm guessing it is.  That would tell me that the pulleys are not aligned.  The silver one should be further onto the shaft, I'd guess.

That threaded hole in the center... it looks like a screw should be there, pushing the entire assembly on the right, away from the left....to put tension on the belt.  Was it removed for the photo?  Or is that how the cover is held on?  I don't know this mount...  Looks like the tension bolt may be missing.  Maybe it's lying there in the dark, behind the case?

#6 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

kyle528 sent the question to me directly the other day.  Here is my answer.

The angled set screw [i.e., threaded hole between the two pulleys] is used to adjust the tilt of the motor.  I haven’t found the need to do this on a mount yet so I’m not sure if there is anything that you will need to loosen to make the adjustment.  I should be tuning up an EQ6-R sometime next week and will have an opportunity to look at that a bit more.  If I get a chance sooner I will let you know. 

Assuming that the belt is moving outward until it slips off, then the set screw should be turned clockwise in order to tilt the motor back.  You should do this with the axis slewing at least at half speed, faster as you get the belt adjusted more.  You want to be able to see the belt move in and out as you make the adjustment.  You don’t want the belt to rub hard against the back flange of the brass gear.  If possible, you want it to ride in the center of the brass gear. 

The adjustment may tighten up the belt a little bit but it should be OK as it is.  But if necessary, I can help you through that adjustment as well.

I'm going to try and pull up the EQ6-R I have here later today after I finish the mount I have on the bench currently.

• AhBok likes this

#7 MikeECha

MikeECha

Vostok 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

Here's a pic of the belt system, just under the cover on the east side of the mount. The belt had slipped off the brass pulley, and was easy enough to just slip back on. No movement detectable in either wheel, so it must just be out of alignment.

I just checked my mount out of curiosity and I think you are missing a retainer ring that goes in the groove on the brass pulley. See pic attached

And yes, there is a set screw in the treaded hole on the center looks like for the belt tension adjustment.

IMG_20190922_142518.jpg

Edited by MikeECha, 22 September 2019 - 01:46 PM.

• kyle528 likes this

#8 kyle528

kyle528

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:46 PM

I just checked my mount out of curiosity and I think you are missing a retainer ring that goes in the groove on the brass pulley. See pic attached

attachicon.gif IMG_20190922_142518.jpg

Interesting... I'll have to have a look around for that inside the mount.

#9 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

I forgot about that without a mount in from of me.  There should be an outer flange on that pulley.  Thankfully, it shouldn't be able to get down into the worm housing on this mount. 

The flange pops on and off and you should be able to push it back on and hold it there with superglue (with the belt removed while you are doing it).  However, the fact that it came off in the first place probably suggests that the pulleys are not well aligned resulting in extra pressure being put on that flange so alignment of the pulleys would still be a good idea and it would be best to try the alignment without that flange in place so that you can actually see the belt position on the small pulley. 

• AhBok and kyle528 like this

#10 kyle528

kyle528

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 22 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

Can't find that retainer ring just by looking through the cover. Moved the mount every which way trying to get it to fall out, no dice. The set screw Ed mentioned will not tilt the motor at all, there must be something else that needs to be loosened in order to get it to move. If this requires disassembly of the mount I may go ahead with the DIY Hypertune kit as well while I have it off the pier and taken apart grin.gif

#11 kyle528

kyle528

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

Skywatcher was quick to reply and wasted no time in shipping a new mount out to me. A+ customer service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • David_Ritter and ThatsMyCoffee like this

#12 EFT

EFT

• Vendors

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

That's great!  Problem solved.

#13 Tom Gwilym

Tom Gwilym

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sturgeon Bay, WI

Posted Today, 01:04 AM

Looks like this is a common thing.  I just got my mount last week and have been playing with it to learn how it works and get things connected to the computer before installing it in my observatory.  I noticed the Ra stopped and found the same thing - no ring flange thing over the drive pulley.  I did try that center screw, but was so tight that it's gotta be released a bit from the back motor mount bolts.  That's when I quit messing with it.  I've sent an email to the HighPoint and Skywatcher explaining the problem.   If they have an easy fix, I'm willing to try - within the limits of the warranty.  But may just have to box it up again and send it back for a swap.

How long did it take for them to send you a replacement mount?

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics