•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TV Panoptic 22 vs. TV 20 Nagler 20

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CL5028

CL5028

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:28 PM

I have been gifted with both a TV Panoptic 22 and a TV 20 Nagler 20. I'm only going to keep one but I'm interested in which might be better. I use glasses and my (new) scope is a TV 85. Any help would be appreciated.

revv

#2 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:09 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Is there a pressing reason not to keep both?  I am not sure which 20mm you have; both 20 Naglers are 2" eyepieces but the original was much larger and heavier. 

Since you have the eyepieces your best recourse is to test them out and see which one suits your needs best. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#3 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:47 PM

I have been gifted with both a TV Panoptic 22 and a TV 20 Nagler 20. I'm only going to keep one but I'm interested in which might be better. I use glasses and my (new) scope is a TV 85. Any help would be appreciated.

revv

If using glasses, the 22mm TV Panoptic will be the best choice as the eye relief on either new / old 20mm Naglers lack in eye relief.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:39 AM

I had both the 22mm Panoptic and the 20mm Type 2 Nagler for quite sometime.  The 20mm Type 2 is a special eyepiece but very heavy.  I only parted with it when I acquired the 21mm Ethos.  I still have the 22mm Panoptic but removed the skirt (be careful) so I use it as a 1.25 inch in only eyepiece.  

Both are very good eyepieces but different.  I agree with Red, try them and see which one you like.  

Jon

#5 CL5028

CL5028

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:51 AM

Thanks. for your comments. I will try both. I'm leaning towards the better eye relief.

#6 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:45 PM

I have owned both the 22mm Panoptic and the 27mm Panoptic, and I think that if the field curvature of your scope is not an issue, the 20mm T5 is a better performer and more immersive and enjoyable.   I loved the 20mm in my 6" Astro-Physics.   Amazing off axis sharpness. 

While the eye relief of the 20mm T5 is not as good as either of these others, it is not at all bad but if you wear glasses and need the at the exit pupil it provides, then yeah, better to go with one of the Pans. 

My biggest concern for you though would be that in your scope, the wider and higher power field of the 20mm might show some defocus and associated aberration at the outside of the field of view.   Maybe not though, and this would depend a great deal on your accommodation.  I have trouble accommodating the kind of field curvature in these small scopes using even Panoptics. 

#7 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:22 PM

revv

I don't know that the eye relief is all that much greater on the Panoptic 22 vs the Nagler 20 but I think the Panoptics may be a bit sharper and flatter. I have kept my 15mm Pan because of this even though the eye relief is a bit tighter than my 13mm T6 Nag. 

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

I don't know that the eye relief is all that much greater on the Panoptic 22 vs the Nagler 20 but I think the Panoptics may be a bit sharper and flatter. I have kept my 15mm Pan because of this even though the eye relief is a bit tighter than my 13mm T6 Nag. 

I measured the eye lens on my 22mm Panoptic, it's about 22mm.  Assuming a 68 degree AFoV, that implies about 16.3 mm of eye relief.  TeleVue spec'd the two 20mm Naglers at 12mm eye relief, the 22 mm Panoptic at 15mm, I suspect the Naglers are slightly less, the Panoptic slightly more.

I have the 13mm Type 6, the field seems very flat to me in both the NP-101 and my Dobs used with the Paracorr, these are all scopes with flat fields.  

Jon

• Scott in NC likes this

#9 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:37 PM

Which 20mm Nagler is it, the Type 2 or Type 5?

The Type 5 is relatively small, while the Type 2 is a massive hand grenade.

The Panoptic will probably have better eye relief, while the Nagler will probably give a more immersive feeling with its larger apparent field. Either one will be a great low power finder eyepiece in a TV-85.

I'll be a bit jealous if it is a 20T2...

• Jon Isaacs likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics