•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Short 400-450mm FL ED or triplet for AZ GTi

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:29 PM

I suspect the specs are wrong... the page for the AT102ED also states a 2" focuser but it has a 2.5" drawtube... I measured mine.  I'd be surprised if the 72 was any different.

The AT72EDII also has a 2.5” drawtube. 

• KevH likes this

#27 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:17 AM

The AT72EDII also has a 2.5” drawtube. 

Then it may a good option, but you still need to add a field flattener that works reasonably good with full frame sensors and a way of adding M48 mounted filters to the combo (I don't want to give up working with my modified 6D, it is such a nice camera, particularly paired with the IDAS and the L-enhance filters :) ). 

#28 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:32 AM

I am currently leaning towards the 71sdq and clones (71/450mm). In the end it is a fpl53 triplet+flattener, but with a native 450mm focal length instead of a doublet at f6 or a triplet working at 350mm. If I manage to get a reasonably priced custom adaptor that takes M48 mounted filters INSIDE the M63/M48 reducer as it should have been for the TS adapter (I cannot believe they forgot that people with DSLR also use filters sometimes), then I am sold wink.gif . I will keep you posted of my findings.

So you're not concerned about the total weight ? The 71sdq is rated at 3.2kg with dovetail and rings. With the adapter, DSLR and guidescope you will be well over the 4kg mark.
Isn't it a bit too much for a mount rated for 5kg ?

#29 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 04:56 AM

So you're not concerned about the total weight ? The 71sdq is rated at 3.2kg with dovetail and rings. With the adapter, DSLR and guidescope you will be well over the 4kg mark.
Isn't it a bit too much for a mount rated for 5kg ?

It is not much more than what the ZS73+flattener is rated (2.8kg + 0.4kg) and yet there are some people who use it successfully with the AZ GTi, even with more goodies on top of it. It is at the limit in many ways, but I think with my current setup there's still a bit of margin to go bigger. I wouldn't dare to put a 80-90 mm triplet on it, but a ~70mm could be ok I think.

Edited by elakrab, 11 October 2019 - 05:44 AM.

#30 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:57 AM

It is not much more than what the ZS73+flattener is rated (2.8kg + 0.4kg) and yet there are some people who use it successfully with the AZ GTi, even with more goodies on top of it. It is at the limit in many ways, but I think with my current setup there's still a bit of margin to go bigger. I wouldn't dare to put a 80-90 mm triplet on it, but a ~70mm could be ok I think.

Actually, many pages rate the 71sdq at 2.5kg with dovetail and rings, including :
https://www.robtics....roducts_id=6978
https://astrojolo.co...-review-part-i/

and most importantly, the manufacturer itself :
https://translate.go...ap/qxl/235.html

TS optics must have made a mistake on the spec sheet. I'm inexperienced, but I feel that TS Optics website and spec sheets are the worst so far...

#31 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

Actually, many pages rate the 71sdq at 2.5kg with dovetail and rings, including :
https://www.robtics....roducts_id=6978
https://astrojolo.co...-review-part-i/

and most importantly, the manufacturer itself :
https://translate.go...ap/qxl/235.html

TS optics must have made a mistake on the spec sheet. I'm inexperienced, but I feel that TS Optics website and spec sheets are the worst so far...

That's cool. So it is only 1kg more than the redcat. Of course I need to add a little bit more counterweight as well, but it is not too crazy I think. 

#32 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:27 AM

Just placed the order for the Omegon 71/450, which looks like a clone of the TS71 and the sharpstar71 and significantly cheaper :)

#33 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

Just placed the order for the Omegon 71/450, which looks like a clone of the TS71 and the sharpstar71 and significantly cheaper smile.gif .

May I ask where did you place that order ? laugh.gif After a quick search, I only find retails within the same price range (around 700€).
Also, did you solve that M63 to M48 adapter issue ?

#34 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

Well, the TS and the sharpstar are sold around 800€ in all the shops I have seen in Europe while the Omegon is about 100€ cheaper... Not sure what the differences are...

#35 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:10 AM

I know that you've already made your purchase, but I was wondering if you came across the Stellarvue SV070T during your research ?
Did you put it aside because of your budget (it is usually found between 1000 and 12000$), or for another reason ?

I'm considering it at the moment and don't want to do something foolish. It's way more expensive than what I planned to put in it in the first place, but this is a lightweight, top notch 420mm triplet that I could also use for visual observation! laugh.gif

#36 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

I know that you've already made your purchase, but I was wondering if you came across the Stellarvue SV070T during your research ?
Did you put it aside because of your budget (it is usually found between 1000 and 12000$), or for another reason ?

I'm considering it at the moment and don't want to do something foolish. It's way more expensive than what I planned to put in it in the first place, but this is a lightweight, top notch 420mm triplet that I could also use for visual observation! laugh.gif

Well, I'm not in the US so importing it here (Berlin) would add customs, taxes, etc. And also it needs a corrector and the one they suggest is a reducer. Overall it looks very similar as the WO GT71 triplet (including the reducer corrector), just more expensive. It fell out of my list pretty quickly wink.gif

I bought in the end the Omegon 71/450 quadruplet, much cheaper, with the corrector in place and a very sexy focal length of 450mm. Still need to work on the adaptor for the camera as I want to use filters.

Fingers crossed. 

Edited by elakrab, 15 October 2019 - 10:30 AM.

#37 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:38 AM

Well, I'm not in the US so importing it here (Berlin) would add customs, taxes, etc. And also it needs a corrector and the one they suggest is a reducer. Overall it looks very similar as the WO GT71 triplet (including the reducer corrector), just more expensive. It fell out of my list pretty quickly wink.gif

I bought in the end the Omegon 71/450 quadruplet, much cheaper, with the corrector in place and a very sexy focal length of 450mm. Still need to work on the adaptor for the camera as I want to use filters.

Fingers crossed.

**** it I forgot to add the custom taxes (France here) ! On the soon-to-come SVX070T, they also talk about the SFF4-70T flattener (non-reducer) which I could not find anywhere sadly frown.gif
The main appeal of this triplet scope to me was the ability to shoot at two different focal lengths with two different flatteners, offering a great versatility at 2.5kg with rings and dovetail.

The WO GT71 was one of my first choice, but according to FLO, it's 3.95kg with ring and dovetails (they said the 2.95kg on the WO page is OTA only).
This is way beyond my safe payload capacity with the flattener, DSLR & guidescope... frown.gif

In any case, thank you very much for the input ! laugh.gif

#38 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:14 AM

I received the quadruplet already, but I don't have yet the adapter to test it so I cannot judge its its perform. But wow, it is super lightweight for being a quadruplet. The redcat is sooo much more dense in comparison.

And yeah, the 350mm option would make sense if I didn't have a redcat. But I do have it, so really having 250 and 450 I don't see the point of adding a 350mm scope.

Again, 700€ with shipping and warranty in Europe vs over 1000€ + the cost of the flattener + messing up with distances and import taxes. No brainier to me.

Edited by elakrab, 17 October 2019 - 03:19 AM.

#39 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

Great news ! We're all eager to read your report on that new toy of yours :D

#40 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:57 PM

The famous adaptor ...

https://www.rafcamer...1f-to-m48x0-75m

#41 blemasle

blemasle

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:38 AM

I think this just released Omegon Q71 unboxing might be of use to those who come across this thread : https://www.youtube....h?v=69M8UVuH-34

#42 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

Looks sweet. The cap is a bit loose in both his and my sample to my taste, but I may just compensate it with a little bit of thin tape, not a big deal. My custom adapter has been shipped too, so as soon as I come back to Germany if the weather allows (which I'm pretty pessimistic being Germany) I will give it a shot. 

I think this just released Omegon Q71 unboxing might be of use to those who come across this thread : https://www.youtube....h?v=69M8UVuH-34

#43 elakrab

elakrab

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:12 PM

Also, given my experience with optical stuff, I would try to actively avoid importing things overseas (except from the UK to Europe or within Europe for instance). If you get a lemon (chances are not negligible) then it will be a mess to return it or get a replacement.

Edited by elakrab, 30 October 2019 - 04:30 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics