•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn 18th Sept 2019, V. good seeing, Winjupos help?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:47 AM

Another night of good seeing for this neck of the woods last night, even better than the night before. Razor sharp Cassini Division and visible banding on the live feed (it's usually just a brown featureless blob).

I'm still using an old laptop with USB 2 and a hard drive, so I'm restricted to 28 fps or so, thus impacting massively on the number of frames I can get within 6 minutes, but it's still pretty good in fairness. It's probably the best Saturn session I've had since I got into this extra-terrestrial business.

At one point I switched to f/10 and Titan was visible in the live feed to the top left of Saturn. I captured a large ROI Saturn and Titan 6 minute avi. Titan is there if I raise the brightness in AS!3 but not even a generous align point on it can bring Titan out in the tif file, which is disappointing. Is there a way around this problem? Anyone?

Here are three single captures of Saturn

2019-09-18-1955_6-KB-L_lapl4_ap22_2.jpg

2019-09-18-2005_5-KB-L_lapl4_ap24_2.jpg

2019-09-18-1939_7-KB-L_lapl4_ap29_2.jpg

First off, I'm very happy with the images. Each is from a stack of between 2000 to 2500 frames. The colours are poor though - I was using the "display adjustment" feature to help me focus, but it doesn't affect the capture, right?

Now here is a Winjupos derotation of these three jpegs - 

WJed Sat 20190918.jpg

I'm disappointed with the outcome - WJ has produced some weird effects at the top right of the planet. Anyone had this kind of thing before? Am I derotating too few jpegs? Have I captured too few frames? If the answer is "no" to these two last questions and you think you could improve the outcome please have a go!

That's it for now - the weather conditions are even better later on this evening. Addictive, isn't it?

Any suggestions/comments most welcome.

Thanks!

• Sunspot, Az Frank, CosmicDave and 9 others like this

#2 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:11 AM

Excellent images Kevin.  I am glad your seeing turned out to be as good as forecast and hopefully even better tonight.  That would make me very right about reading windy.com, so that would be a win for me as well!

I might add that I would like to see a bit more saturated color in the images above, but that would be it.

Sorry I can't add any help on the Winjupos / Titan end of things.

Edited by aeroman4907, 19 September 2019 - 07:12 AM.

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:37 AM

Excellent images Kevin. I am glad your seeing turned out to be as good as forecast and hopefully even better tonight. That would make me very right about reading windy.com, so that would be a win for me as well!

I might add that I would like to see a bit more saturated color in the images above, but that would be it.

Sorry I can't add any help on the Winjupos / Titan end of things.

Thanks Steve. I must check out that windy app.
I TRIED to increase saturation/luminance in Gimp and Lightroom. I couldn’t get anything decent.
  • aeroman4907 likes this

#4 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:06 AM

First off, I'm very happy with the images. Each is from a stack of between 2000 to 2500 frames. The colours are poor though - I was using the "display adjustment" feature to help me focus, but it doesn't affect the capture, right?

Now here is a Winjupos derotation of these three jpegs ... I'm disappointed with the outcome - WJ has produced some weird effects at the top right of the planet. Anyone had this kind of thing before? Am I derotating too few jpegs? Have I captured too few frames? If the answer is "no" to these two last questions and you think you could improve the outcome please have a go!

Hi Kevin,

As long as you're only adjusting the setting in the "display adjustment" panel and not the exposure settings themselves, yes, it shouldn't affect the captured data. But you can easily toggle the display adjustment on and off anyway.

As for WinJUPOS:

1. You'll generally want to de-rotate the uncompressed TIFF files, not the end-result JPGs. I generally stack and sharpen each capture, save the TIFFs, de-rotate these in WinJUPOS, then do some final processing on the file WinJUPOS puts out.

2. It's important to pay close attention to the image measurements in WinJUPOS ... if this is not done carefully, you can get some strange artefacts. Takes a bit of practice, but well worth it.

Darryl has an excellent WinJUPOS tutorial, btw.

#5 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:25 AM

Hi Kevin,

As long as you're only adjusting the setting in the "display adjustment" panel and not the exposure settings themselves, yes, it shouldn't affect the captured data. But you can easily toggle the display adjustment on and off anyway.

As for WinJUPOS:

1. You'll generally want to de-rotate the uncompressed TIFF files, not the end-result JPGs. I generally stack and sharpen each capture, save the TIFFs, de-rotate these in WinJUPOS, then do some final processing on the file WinJUPOS puts out.

2. It's important to pay close attention to the image measurements in WinJUPOS ... if this is not done carefully, you can get some strange artefacts. Takes a bit of practice, but well worth it.

Darryl has an excellent WinJUPOS tutorial, btw.

Steve

I've derotated 4 tifs like you said. Thanks for the advice. What was I thinking??

Whatcha think?

WJed TIFS Sat 20190918.jpg

• eros312, phileefan, roelb and 2 others like this

#6 phileefan

phileefan

Viking 1

• Loc: Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Posted 19 September 2019 - 04:51 PM

Steve

I've derotated 4 tifs like you said. Thanks for the advice. What was I thinking??

Whatcha think?

attachicon.gif WJed TIFS Sat 20190918.jpg

Kevin,

I think this outcome is the best of them all! waytogo.gif   

#7 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

Steve

Whatcha think?

attachicon.gif WJed TIFS Sat 20190918.jpg

waytogo.gif

• kevinbreen likes this

#8 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:32 PM

Kevin, nice images.  Your last WinJUPOS integration seems to have erased much of the detail in the polar region, however.  This may be a case where you get a better result just by taking the sharpest single image and applying a bit of denoise.  

• kevinbreen likes this

#9 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

WINJUPOS didn’t do the images a lot of favours in terms of the polar region, but it did help with the banding, and the smoothing out of the noise.

I tried two things

1. Derotate raw tifs.
2. Derotate deconvoluted tifs.

What’s the correct method?

2 worked. 1 didn’t.
I’m still a novice at this stuff.

Anyway, in the meantime, I grabbed a couple of captures this evening (I’m still awake past midnight here) and the very first one is very good. I’ll post it tomorrow. Thanks

#10 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

...sharpening the tif outputs is usually preferable Kevin, but as Tom says WJ doesn't necessarily improve the outcome besides obtaining a smoother image...& can "degrade" detail if you integrate poor stacks with a good one or two. wink.gif

Make sure you concentrate upon getting the outer ring of the WJ "Alignment Frame" snugly fitting the outside edge of your planet's rings when integrating multiple stacks of Saturn - not worrying about the element of the frame around the disk! 

Edited by Kokatha man, 19 September 2019 - 10:21 PM.

• roelb, kevinbreen and DMach like this

#11 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hi Tom/Darryl

Yep, I took a good one from last night and didn’t integrate it with other captures. Turned out sweet, thanks

#12 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:25 AM

Make sure you concentrate upon getting the outer ring of the WJ "Alignment Frame" snugly fitting the outside edge of your planet's rings when integrating multiple stacks of Saturn - not worrying about the element of the frame around the disk! 

That answers a key question I've had bubbling in my mind ... sometimes struggle to get the planet itself and rings to both match up, though maybe it was something I was doing wrong (choice and size of APs when stacking, for example).

Very helpful tip!  :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics