•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for examples of excellence with a Celestron C8 EdgeHD

astrophotography beginner Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rzgp33

rzgp33

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:47 AM

Hello Everyone.

I have just bought the Celestron C8 EdgeHD/AVX package.  Its yet to arrive.

I am an old time photographer that has made lots of images with normal camera/lenses over the years.

The C8 is to be for visual, the Moon and Planets, and I am then going to use the AVX with my Fujifilm Mirrorless and try to get some tracked wide field shots.

Over the years I have collected a lot of old lenses, some that are mentioned as good astros.

These include Tair 300, Nikon 180ed, Takumar 200/135, Zeiss 100/f2 and 135/28 and of course the excellent Fujiflim lenses. Lots more things to try

Hopefully the AVX will be up to this, but if I find I like this I'll probably be saving for a better mount, and I'll no doubt be looking for a nice apo refractor at some stage  :)

I know I've probably got this in the wrong order but the C8/AVX deal was a good one, and there is nothing like a great close up of the moon. In the package I bought I added SLR adapters, the reducer, a OAG and guide cam, just so I cam take *some* pictures, but I'm aware that the C8 is not the tool for Astrophotography.

However while I wait for the package to arrive I have been trolling astrobin looking for pictures taken with the C8 Edgehd.  To be frank I have been less than impressed. My expectations were low but its mostly cotton balls (soft stars). Is this just a side effect of the large magnification? I did actually expect the scope to be at least sharp, it has had good reviews. The reducer and hyperstar don't really seem to help that much.

So I'm looking to reset my expectations. I think I have been looking at Hubble shots on APOD to much.  I'm looking for examples of what more experienced Astronomers would consider  to be excellent C8 performance. Some thing to aim for.

links, pointer etc would be appreciated.

Thank you, and hello from Bendigo in Central Victoria, South Eastern Australia. :)

Brian

#2 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

Hi Brian,

First of all, welcome! This is a great community, but you still will have to decipher what is good for you and what to discard. Nonetheless, we all try to be helpful. 

With regards to C8 not being a tool for astrophotography, on the contrary, it is quite the tool for doing AP. Maybe not the first scope one should use for starting to learn AP (and even that is debatable based on personal preferences) - so I won't sweat too much on that just yet. The mount that you have isn't exactly great and coupled with the C8 EdgeHD, it will be a bear. So, if anything, I would save up for a better mount and get that when you have the finances. Till then, you can always shoot the Moon and planets (and you mentioned you have lenses to do wide field, which will work very well with the AVX mount). 

This is not to dishearten you at all - just setting expectations. You can, and should try doing DSO AP with the EdgeHD that you have. Like I said, it will require a lot of patience, persistence and proper expectations from your side, but the results have the potential to blow your mind. While Astrobin is a good place to look for images using certain equipment, it does not give you the full picture - there is a lot that goes in to the make of good astro-images (I am sure you know that being a photographer - it really is not the equipment but the person that takes and creates images). One thing that often gets thrown about here is the image scale. If you pair an appropriate camera with the scope taking in to account the seeing conditions that you may have down under, then the results will be pleasing (not the large stars that you may have seen in some images) as long as your equipment/seeing can provide you with well sampled images. Look at this site to figure out what is good sampling for your area.

Lastly, I just looked - but here is a good example of what can be achieved with the C8 EdgeHD. Hope that helps. Look through the description to figure out what other equipment was used and where the image was taken from but also keep in mind, this person may be highly experienced in taking and producing such images.

CS! 

• rzgp33 likes this

#3 starbuckin

starbuckin

Explorer 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:10 AM

I guess I have potato-ey stars, but I think its more that I'm a beginner and just learning to process images.

I think I'd have potatoes regardless of scope/mount laugh.gif

But here's my latest anyway...

https://www.astrobin.com/1jl8y8/0/

And btw, I wasn't guiding in that ^^ 'cause PHD2 kept crashing on me that night. So I gave up on it and just used the AVX tracking.

Edited by starbuckin, 19 September 2019 - 08:13 AM.

• rzgp33 likes this

#4 starbuckin

starbuckin

Explorer 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

Keep in mind that a lot of people with that scope are probably beginners messing around.

If you have a good photography background, I'm sure you can do great :)

• rzgp33 likes this

#5 rzgp33

rzgp33

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:37 AM

I guess I have potato-ey stars, but I think its more that I'm a beginner and just learning to process images.

I think I'd have potatoes regardless of scope/mount laugh.gif

But here's my latest anyway...

https://www.astrobin.com/1jl8y8/0/

And btw, I wasn't guiding in that ^^ 'cause PHD2 kept crashing on me that night. So I gave up on it and just used the AVX tracking.

whow I was wrong about Hyperstar ... it helps alot... thanks thats a great image.

• starbuckin likes this

#6 rzgp33

rzgp33

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:43 AM

Hi Brian,

First of all, welcome! This is a great community, but you still will have to decipher what is good for you and what to discard. Nonetheless, we all try to be helpful. 

With regards to C8 not being a tool for astrophotography, on the contrary, it is quite the tool for doing AP. Maybe not the first scope one should use for starting to learn AP (and even that is debatable based on personal preferences) - so I won't sweat too much on that just yet. The mount that you have isn't exactly great and coupled with the C8 EdgeHD, it will be a bear. So, if anything, I would save up for a better mount and get that when you have the finances. Till then, you can always shoot the Moon and planets (and you mentioned you have lenses to do wide field, which will work very well with the AVX mount). 

This is not to dishearten you at all - just setting expectations. You can, and should try doing DSO AP with the EdgeHD that you have. Like I said, it will require a lot of patience, persistence and proper expectations from your side, but the results have the potential to blow your mind. While Astrobin is a good place to look for images using certain equipment, it does not give you the full picture - there is a lot that goes in to the make of good astro-images (I am sure you know that being a photographer - it really is not the equipment but the person that takes and creates images). One thing that often gets thrown about here is the image scale. If you pair an appropriate camera with the scope taking in to account the seeing conditions that you may have down under, then the results will be pleasing (not the large stars that you may have seen in some images) as long as your equipment/seeing can provide you with well sampled images. Look at this site to figure out what is good sampling for your area.

Lastly, I just looked - but here is a good example of what can be achieved with the C8 EdgeHD. Hope that helps. Look through the description to figure out what other equipment was used and where the image was taken from but also keep in mind, this person may be highly experienced in taking and producing such images.

CS! 

Great info.... I'm sure I'll have lots of fun :)

#7 starbuckin

starbuckin

Explorer 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:35 AM

This guy images on his C14 at F10.

https://www.astrobin...flowqa/?nc=user

Someday I wanna grow up and be like him....just, you know, on a C8..

#8 drmikevt

drmikevt

Viking 1

• Loc: Burlington, VT

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:06 AM

This guy images on his C14 at F10.

https://www.astrobin...flowqa/?nc=user

Someday I wanna grow up and be like him....just, you know, on a C8..

That guy has his own issues so be careful what you wish for:  https://www.cloudyni...edge-of-defeat/ .  He is on the CCD forum daily.  He is a drool-worthy, world-class imager, to be sure, but is also an optics professor and has tweaked his C14 to a level that most people can't.  

#9 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

Brian, I also started with the AVX mount. I had several frustrating evenings learning to use it properly and at one point would have thrown it over the fence into my neighbor’s yard if I could have lifted it that high. Learn this mantra: when “it’s not working”, its usually you. Not the mount, you. You have missed a step, entered a number wrong, not used your reticle eyepiece like you should have, or something else. But eventually you get to the point where you can actually make the thing work and get good pics. Then, of course, you want a NEW mount ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics